• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

fried cpu or mobo?

rudoku

buddy of mine recently bought a new mob(rog strix b450-f) and installed it. ran for a day, then turned itself off. tried a few things but nothing worked. so we swapped his old mobo back in, and now everything turns on, but his screens wont turn on. he doesnt have enough therm paste on hand to switch his cpu out for his old one and see if that fixes it, but kinda hoping thats not the case anyway as cpu is expensive.
*edit*: his boards leds do say there is a problem with the cpu. i had him reseat it incase but didnt work either.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
buddy of mine recently bought a new mob(rog strix b450-f) and installed it. ran for a day, then turned itself off. tried a few things but nothing worked. so we swapped his old mobo back in, and now everything turns on, but his screens wont turn on. he doesnt have enough therm paste on hand to switch his cpu out for his old one and see if that fixes it, but kinda hoping thats not the case anyway as cpu is expensive.
*edit*: his boards leds do say there is a problem with the cpu. i had him reseat it incase but didnt work either.
Can you give more information? What CPU, PSU etc? What is the previous mobo that he is currently using? From what you say, the new motherboard worked for 1 day and after switching the computer off it didn't boot again?

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
any other new parts added to the new motherboard? can you describe "tried a few things"
did you friend just transfered all the existing parts to the new mobo?
i suspect cmos might need a reset, but lets see what the forum dwellers say

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
and now everything turns on, but his screens wont turn on
How do you know "everything" turns on? Just because fans and hard drives spin up, and LEDs light, that does not mean the power supply is outputting all 3 required voltages properly. Without a display on the monitor, it would be difficult, at best, to determine all is turning on. I would check the power connections and if good, swap in a known good PSU.

Are there any beeps? Most cases don't have system speakers any more, and not all motherboard include them. So during initial assembly and when troubleshooting, I like to add a System Speaker. Beep codes can sometimes be very informative. Plus, I find the single, short beep, indicating a successful POST, reassuring. :) Note that price is for 20 speakers!

Did you observe the necessary and essential ESD precautions when handling the CPUs, motherboards, and RAM? It is important to remember a static discharge from our fingertips can be so HUGE it torches a Grand Canyon size (microscopically speaking), scorched trench through an ESD sensitive device, yet be so tiny we (as humans) cannot see, hear or feel that a static discharge even occurred.

his boards leds do say there is a problem with the cpu. i had him reseat it incase but didnt work either.
Again, I hope the necessary ESD precautions were taken to discharge any static in the body BEFORE even reaching for the CPU. As for reseating, it is important to remember that TIM (thermal interface materials) should never be re-used once the curing process starts (which is at first power up after application). The mating surfaces should always be thoroughly cleaned and a fresh new layer of TIM should be applied. And it should be noted a common mistake is to use too much TIM. The goal is to use as little as possible while still achieving thorough coverage. The most efficient transfer of heat occurs with direct metal to metal contact of the mating surfaces. The purpose of the TIM is to fill the microscopic pits and valleys in those mating surfaces, pushing out any insulating that might otherwise get trapped within. Any excess TIM is actually in the way and counterproductive to the transfer of heat process.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Rule of thumb when trying to get a diagnosis on something. Be it a motor vehicle, home electrical appliance, faulty software or a disease is GIVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE FOR THE QUICKEST/BEST DIAGNOSIS

I dont turn up to my GP and say i have trouble breathing and have them send me home with a box of paracetamol when im really dying of coronas.

We are not mind readers - details help a lot.

rudoku

Can you give more information? What CPU, PSU etc? What is the previous mobo that he is currently using? From what you say, the new motherboard worked for 1 day and after switching the computer off it didn't boot again?
he started with the msi b350m bazooka, with a ryzen 5 1700. changed his board to the rog strix b450-f gaming board. we had it set up, and running. he had it running for 10 hours straight, and when he went to download hwmonitor his pc died before he could click download. so he doesnt know his cpu temps, but he did know that his gpu was around 65-68c. we tried reseating the cpu, and checking psu cables, and even swapped in a 600w psu that he had upgraded from a few months back, incase it was his psu that borked. nothing worked. so he put his 1700 on his old b350m board, and connected his psu, and this time, the boards troubleshooting lights came on, and showed that his cpu wasnt working. so at that time, we swapped his old cpu back in (i dont remember what it was, his build was the $800 amd build from ibuypower that he got at bestbuy), and now everything works. the b450-f was new and bought on amazon from amazon directly. he also said there was a ton of heat comming from the pc when he went to open it and see why it shut off. im not the most tech savvy but i have a feeling the board overcooked his cpu. he doesnt dabble with overclocking either.

any other new parts added to the new motherboard? can you describe "tried a few things"
did you friend just transfered all the existing parts to the new mobo?
i suspect cmos might need a reset, but lets see what the forum dwellers say
he started with the msi b350m bazooka, with a ryzen 5 1700. changed his board to the rog strix b450-f gaming board. we had it set up, and running. he had it running for 10 hours straight, and when he went to download hwmonitor his pc died before he could click download. so he doesnt know his cpu temps, but he did know that his gpu was around 65-68c. we tried reseating the cpu, and checking psu cables, and even swapped in a 600w psu that he had upgraded from a few months back, incase it was his psu that borked. nothing worked. so he put his 1700 on his old b350m board, and connected his psu, and this time, the boards troubleshooting lights came on, and showed that his cpu wasnt working. so at that time, we swapped his old cpu back in (i dont remember what it was, his build was the $800 amd build from ibuypower that he got at bestbuy), and now everything works. the b450-f was new and bought on amazon from amazon directly. he also said there was a ton of heat comming from the pc when he went to open it and see why it shut off. im not the most tech savvy but i have a feeling the board overcooked his cpu. he doesnt dabble with overclocking either. as to the cmos needing reset, idk if it was done correctly, but i did have him remove the cmos battery for a few seconds and reseat it.

How do you know "everything" turns on? Just because fans and hard drives spin up, and LEDs light, that does not mean the power supply is outputting all 3 required voltages properly. Without a display on the monitor, it would be difficult, at best, to determine all is turning on. I would check the power connections and if good, swap in a known good PSU.

Are there any beeps? Most cases don't have system speakers any more, and not all motherboard include them. So during initial assembly and when troubleshooting, I like to add a System Speaker. Beep codes can sometimes be very informative. Plus, I find the single, short beep, indicating a successful POST, reassuring. :) Note that price is for 20 speakers!

Did you observe the necessary and essential ESD precautions when handling the CPUs, motherboards, and RAM? It is important to remember a static discharge from our fingertips can be so HUGE it torches a Grand Canyon size (microscopically speaking), scorched trench through an ESD sensitive device, yet be so tiny we (as humans) cannot see, hear or feel that a static discharge even occurred.

Again, I hope the necessary ESD precautions were taken to discharge any static in the body BEFORE even reaching for the CPU. As for reseating, it is important to remember that TIM (thermal interface materials) should never be re-used once the curing process starts (which is at first power up after application). The mating surfaces should always be thoroughly cleaned and a fresh new layer of TIM should be applied. And it should be noted a common mistake is to use too much TIM. The goal is to use as little as possible while still achieving thorough coverage. The most efficient transfer of heat occurs with direct metal to metal contact of the mating surfaces. The purpose of the TIM is to fill the microscopic pits and valleys in those mating surfaces, pushing out any insulating that might otherwise get trapped within. Any excess TIM is actually in the way and counterproductive to the transfer of heat process.

there were no beeps, none of the lights for troubleshooting on the mobo came on either. thermal compound was cleaned, and fresh was re applied at every reseating of cpu. while he did not have a wriststrap or anything to help stop unwanted discharge, he did turn the psu off, and touched his psu to discharge any electricity he might have built up very often.

Rule of thumb when trying to get a diagnosis on something. Be it a motor vehicle, home electrical appliance, faulty software or a disease is GIVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE FOR THE QUICKEST/BEST DIAGNOSIS

I dont turn up to my GP and say i have trouble breathing and have them send me home with a box of paracetamol when im really dying of coronas.

We are not mind readers - details help a lot.
sorry, see above for more information. i was working on 38 hours of no sleep when this shit happened.

oh ye, should mention cpuid didnt show his mobo, cpu, or gpu temps at all thats why he went to download hwmonitor.

D

Deleted member 185158

but i did have him remove the cmos battery for a few seconds and reseat it.

Remove the battery for a longer duration of time. 10 minutes.
At the same time, jump the cmos pins for at least 10 seconds. Longer if you count fast.
Memory if 2 sticks must be in slots A2 and B2.

Edit, the manual In case he needs it.

Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
changed his board to the rog strix b450-f gaming board...
and even swapped in a 600w psu that he had upgraded from a few months back
Hope PSUs are better than that marketing scam board.

Already stock 2700X doing X264 encoding can overheat its CPU VRM.
Even 2600X with PBO enabled would be too much for it.
Here's The Stilt ripping both Asus and Gigabyte with similar VRMs apart:
It's in Finnish, but Google Translate does suprisingly understandable English considering major syntax differences between languages.
Only positive thing about that VRM was that at least in that individual temperature protections worked.
Basically only MSI has anything half aproaching good VRM in B450 boards...
(after which MSI took the consumer scamming role in X570)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ibuypower, hmm rma it