• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FTB Minecraft server hardware requirements/possible server build

Would you rather pay for minecraft server hosting or do it yourself?

• Total voters
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
i3-8100 CPU and a decent socket 1151 Motherboard, build up from there.
I'd suggest Asrock Motherboards as my personal preference.
Asrock H310M-HDV/M.2

Last edited:

7uppi

i3-8100 CPU and a decent socket 1151 Motherboard, build up from there.
I'd suggest Asrock Motherboards as my personal preference.
Asrock H310M-HDV/M.2

Do you think the CPU will be good enough to host something like a minecraft server?
And also, the mobo is great for a compact server build. Will definitely look into that mobo. One last thing, how much RAM would you suggest, and just go for 2400MHz?

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
An i3 is fine for a server, the fact it is a quad core at 3.6GHz means it should be better than the CPU you originally listed, also 2400MHz Ram is a good choice as the CPU dictates what Ram can be used.

7uppi

An i3 is fine for a server, the fact it is a quad core at 3.6GHz means it should be better than the CPU you originally listed, also 2400MHz Ram is a good choice as the CPU dictates what Ram can be used.

So something like 16GB, or even more? A server can take quite a lot, right? I mean when people are running in different directions as an example.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
16Gb should do to begin with, just to test the waters so to speak, if that seems insufficient then the maximum that board can carry is 32Gb, but DDR4 isn't that cheap yet that you want to fill it up if trying to make a cheap build.

7uppi

16Gb should do to begin with, just to test the waters so to speak, if that seems insufficient then the maximum that board can carry is 32Gb, but DDR4 isn't that cheap yet that you want to fill it up if trying to make a cheap build.

AYea. I know about the prices. I think I will start out with 16GB then. Thanks for the help.

I was actually just thinking about if it would be better to go for the i3-8350K to get a higher clock speed, and the availability to increase it?

7uppi

Do any of you now if minecraft server still is single threaded?

Luicfer_009

Hey, I'm aware I'm responding to this thread very late but I've been doing research into this for quite some time now and I'm also looking to build a dedicated Minecraft server machine.
Through my time running servers simply through forge I've discovered that it's very single-threaded dependant - but on medium-sized modpacks that I want to run (~80 mods) the amount of RAM dedicated to the server is more of a pretty good guess than an exact science.

I created this parts list - however most of the parts I'm intending to get second hand
The reason for the relatively high 32GB of RAM, and I actually intend to get 64GB, is because I'm running a Linux OS called MineOS - It's incredibly low profile so it uses nearly no system resources to run leaving it all to the server, it has a remote access web client for control and you can FTP into it to configure server files.
This OS can run multiple servers at the same time, I don't know how that works with ports but I'll get into that when I get into it

Anyways - here is my parts list I hope this helped anyone with a similar issue. I'd love to hear opinions on the parts list from people who've run dedicated machines for Minecraft in the past.\

System Name HP DL380 G5
Processor 2x Intel Xeon X5460 @3.16 Ghz
Motherboard HP DL 380
Cooling 6 60mm intake fans rated for 14k RPM max load
Memory 16GB of DDR2 667Mhz
Video Card(s) AMD XFX R7 360
Storage 3x 140GB 10K SAS JBOD
Display(s) 1x Hisense 42" TV
Case DL 380 G5
Audio Device(s) HDMI Out
Power Supply 2x 800w Proprietary PSUs
Mouse A cheap logitech wireless mouse
Keyboard Acer KU-0355
Software Windows 10!
Benchmark Scores Ill get around to em soon
OP Here, I've had two years to experiment so far regarding Minecraft Server Performance since I posted this thread.

JUST TO BE CLEAR: I am speaking of Minecraft Java Edition. The version I've experimented most with is 1.7.10(And the most mod abundant)

Many people ask if Minecraft is single threaded, short answer: yes, long answer: Somewhat.

Java Minecraft demands fast CPUs, however, older gen high clock speed server(3.00+ Ghz Xeon) CPUs WILL NOT outperform later gen lower clock speeds(2.4-3.0 Ghz). This is due to lithography, switch speeds, transistor counts, CPU enhancements, clock boosts, hyperthreading, and better non-FSB and rather the QPI memory interface.

I've heard a huge debate take place regarding memory. Calculate access times. I used mirrored memory on my HP DL 380 G5 for my minecraft server for a while and definitely helped with paging speeds and the sort. The lower the cas timing, and the higher the clock speed, the better you are off. "Why?" you might ask. Minecraft is written in a language that uses a JDK as old as the hills and memory garbage collection and management speeds with JDK 8 is absolutely abysmal and I recommend that you DO NOT! Do NOT! Buy 64 Gigs of RAM and devote minecraft to 60 of those Gigs! The JVM will chug as it handles all of that memory. More RAM is definitely not better unless it is being used by a server that ACTUALLY needs it. You can make better use of your pricey purchase simply by putting the server on a RAM disk and doing periodic backups to local disk or LAN if you do not have a sufficient hard disk drive.

It's up to you to determine the best bang for your buck. Do research. It takes the most amount of time but I tell you that any and every owner of a server/datacenter goes through and does the math down to TDP calculations.

1. Look for RAM with the highest speeds and lowest possible CAS latency. Use this calculator to determine best fit
  2. Look for the latest gen CPU family with the highest possible clock speeds and computational aides(Hyperthreading, high clock boosts
  3. Don't overclock your CPU. It may seem like a great idea but the reliability of a server far exceeds its performance in almost every case. No amount of performance boost can replace damaged hardware. Again up to you, but I myself as a server room manager, do NOT recommend such practice.(Downtime = less players)
  4. I like mirrored memory. Don't know why. Java is an enterprise language built for enterprise hardware. If supported, use it. However your mileage may vary in terms of performance gain.
  5. 1 SSD will always outperform 8x 10K SAS Drives in RAID 10. RAID configurations are nice, but for something so instantial as minecraft, RAM disk and fast memory will always outperform any RAID array/disk configuration.
  6. Use an OS that JVM likes. WIndows is fine, and the easiest to manage. There is not however, any substantial advantage to running another OS you're unfamiliar with. Windows schedules tasks accordingly and is not that much of a resource hog except for the gig of ram it uses as a heating pad.
  7. Personal preference, consumer gear is nice, but usually lacks in reliability. I've had the same servers since 2013 that I've taken with me from house to house I lived. Cheaper than consumer hardware too.
My seven cents. Be wise. A server from 2009 will do just fine. If you're trying to turn a profit with a machine, invest in latest gen DELL 1U and pop in some nice SSDs and it'll be well worth the minimal electric bill. Granted, if you can handle the noise:toast:

Long live god and his son

Amen

Do any of you now if minecraft server still is single threaded?
Hey, I'm aware I'm responding to this thread very late but I've been doing research into this for quite some time now and I'm also looking to build a dedicated Minecraft server machine.
Through my time running servers simply through forge I've discovered that it's very single-threaded dependant - but on medium-sized modpacks that I want to run (~80 mods) the amount of RAM dedicated to the server is more of a pretty good guess than an exact science.

I created this parts list - however most of the parts I'm intending to get second hand
The reason for the relatively high 32GB of RAM, and I actually intend to get 64GB, is because I'm running a Linux OS called MineOS - It's incredibly low profile so it uses nearly no system resources to run leaving it all to the server, it has a remote access web client for control and you can FTP into it to configure server files.
This OS can run multiple servers at the same time, I don't know how that works with ports but I'll get into that when I get into it

Anyways - here is my parts list I hope this helped anyone with a similar issue. I'd love to hear opinions on the parts list from people who've run dedicated machines for Minecraft in the past.\