• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G.Skill F4-3600C18-16GVK overclocking on Z590 + i7-11700k.

Got this 32GB kit couple of yrs ago but never really had the chance to stretch its legs so to speak due to IMC limitations from my 'old' R5 2600X. This week however has finally let this ram kit open up across the 4,000MHz barrier with my i7-11700k imc on the Z590 platform. Btw, this set is NOT on the QVL list for my Gigabyte Aorus Ultra board.
One thing that is interesting imo is how the latest versions of HWiNFO & CPUZ do not detect properly the ram bandwidth as locked in by the bios & demonstrated in win10 21H1 Pro. I have highlighted the Windows readout from task manager which is exactly what was set in the bios - 4133MHz, not 4,000 as shown in the screenshot from those popular hardware info utilities.
MTP@4133_XMPtimings-890coverage1 - Copy.jpg

But when I crack it up to 4266MHz (see below screenshot) with "overnight" coverage from MemtestPro, then those 2 utilities do show the correct ram bandwidth as locked in via the bios settings & this is where the limit is with these sticks on 1.46v (set bios) on this motherboard & its latest bios version (F5). Major timings of course were loosened to get 'relative' stability at this speed. I then tried for 4400MHz with the same timings (19-26-26-46) but had to use 1.50v (set bios) & even then it was erroring in memtest86. Not that I'm personally comfortable with 1.50v shoving through those dimms for gaming etc.. but honestly who needs that heat anyway when already the i7-11700k can be a rather hot chip in the system, at least when running 100% load on all threads for substantial time.
I had too run 2 occasions of Memtestpro for other reasons at the time but in the end it still adds up to nearly an "overnight" running time for a 32GB set. The authors of Memtestpro recommend at least 400% coverage but if you can, then an "overnight" running is the best for longer term assurance that the ram is ok.
1st instance...
MTP@4266_225coverage - Copy.JPG
2nd instance...
MTP@4266_435coverage - Copy.JPG

I have my eye on a 32GB kit of Corsair ram designed for 4600Mhz for testing on this Z590+i7-11700k, but that will be the subject of another thread in the near future. Overall, I'm impressed so far at least, that intel have done a pretty good job of ensuring a robust IMC on this cpu for DDR4 overclocking adventures. :) Long live Rocket Lake! :laugh: