• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix video signal issue

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Alpenföhn Dolomit Premium
Memory Kingston Fury Beast 16 GB
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Dual OC 12 GB
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB, Western Digital Red 2 TB
Display(s) Dell G2724D
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DSX + Microlab B-77
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Mouse Zowie ZA11
Keyboard Genius KB-235
Software Windows 10 Pro
Henlo everybody,

I've been having problems with a Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix, which I've bought second-hand recently:
  • When switching on my PC, the VGA won't start as it normally would: the fans won't spin up, and the RGD on its side lights up in red, green and blue colours for around two seconds, but there's no signal after that. If it happens, I have to switch on and off my PC continuously, until there is signal.
  • When I manage to turn on my PC with the VGA starting as well, the VGA loses signal completely randomly and the fans start spinning at 100% speed. It doesn't matter if I'm playing, working or browsing the web. If it happens, only resetting my PC helps.

I'd been using the 441.41 driver from its release with an up-to-date Windows 10 x64 Pro until this anomaly started occurring. I've tried the following, but to no avail, unfortunately:
  • Uninstalling the driver with Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and then installing different driver version: the one that is automatically installed by Windows Update, 399.24, 419.67, 431.60, 456.71, 457.30, but none of them seem to have solved this problem.
  • Switching to the 2nd BIOS of the VGA seems to have reduced the frequency of this signal-loss happening, but it still occurs daily.
  • I've flashed a GS BIOS instead of the stock BIOS, but it didn't help either.
  • I've tried the HDMI and all three DisplayPort connectors as well as all three PCI-e connectors on my motherboard, but still no change.

The VGA is in its original condition, the stickers on its back are still untouched.

What could be the reason / source of this problem? And what could be the solution to make it stop happening?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:
Can you try the card on another PC ? Did you also try to unplug the card from the PC and re plugging it ? Also switching the PCIE power cables from left to right.

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Alpenföhn Dolomit Premium
Memory Kingston Fury Beast 16 GB
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Dual OC 12 GB
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB, Western Digital Red 2 TB
Display(s) Dell G2724D
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DSX + Microlab B-77
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Mouse Zowie ZA11
Keyboard Genius KB-235
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can you try the card on another PC ? Did you also try to unplug the card from the PC and re plugging it ? Also switching the PCIE power cables from left to right.
I've tried un- and replugging it as well as switching the PCIe power cables, to no avail.
In the meantime, I bought a 1660 Ti, which works perfectly, so I'm guessing the 1070 is dying or has died already. :(