• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GameCube and Wii Dolphin Emulator set to Launch on Steam Later This Year

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
We are pleased to announce our great experiment - Dolphin is coming to Steam! Our store page is now live, and you can visit it with the handy widget below. However, due to how Steam works, you won't be able to download the emulator through Steam just yet. Feel free to wishlist us to be notified when Dolphin is available to download on Steam! Dolphin is an emulator for the big N's 6th and 7th generation consoles, featuring enhancements such as increased resolution, save states, and netplay.

When we launch on Steam, we'll have a feature article detailing the process and features of the Steam release. We're pleased to finally tell the world of our experiment. This has been the product of many months of work, and we look forward to getting it into users' hands soon! You can continue the discussion in the forum thread of this article.

Welcome to the World of Modern Emulation
Dolphin Emulator is your one-way ticket to nostalgia if you're looking to relive classics from the big N's cube-shaped and motion controlled consoles. Return to an era of gaming before the advent of microtransactions and experience a diverse library of thousands of titles that were released for these consoles over a span of 15+ years. Dolphin Emulator allows these classic games to be reborn into the modern era with support for 4K displays, modern controllers, and much, much more. All of this, fully Open Source and free to download.

How Does It Work?
Dolphin Emulator creates a virtual environment on your device that is capable of running games originally developed for two of the Big N's revolutionary consoles. However, Dolphin itself does not provide any of the games. It is just a tool to run legally obtained copies of these games. Once you have dumped copies of your games into a compatible format, you can launch them directly in the emulator.

Why Emulate?
Using emulation to play your games comes with many advantages. Dolphin can surpass the capabilities of the original hardware with enhancements like increased resolution, widescreen hacks, HD texture packs, and patches to increase the frame rate. While playing a game, features like quick saves (save states), slow motion, and turbo can make playing through annoying sections a breeze. You can even take your favorite local multiplayer games online with Dolphin's built-in netplay. Once you're bored of a game, you can breathe new life into it by playing community-made mods like randomizers and custom level packs.
What is Dolphin?

This app does not come with games. You must own an original copy of any game you want to use with Dolphin.

What is Dolphin?
Dolphin is a GameCube and Wii emulator with high compatibility across the majority of titles for both platforms. It was first developed as closed source in 2003, and as open source since 2008.

What is Dolphin's License?
When Dolphin went open-source in 2008, it was released under the GPLv2 license. However it has since been re-licensed to GPLv2+. According to the license, you may use Dolphin and its source code for any purpose, but distributing Dolphin requires that the source code be released and attribution given.

Who Made Dolphin?
Over 200 people have worked hard over the years to create Dolphin. The list of contributors can be found on GitHub.

Dolphin is not affiliated with Nintendo in any way.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Wii had Madworld, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes, and more games that were all sort of batshit for that console that never got enough love because it was "on the Wii" never mind they were all ground breaking.

System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
Its a complete waste of time. All you are doing is installing the app from steam platform, its going to open up through steam, nothing more. People are getting exicted for nothing, when you can just download the damn app from the website lol. No games comes with it, you get the games from the same source and files.

Seems like they're bringing it to steam for one purpose only: More users to use the app.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Seems like they're bringing it to steam for one purpose only: More users to use the app.
Yep. And for them that is decidedly NOT a complete waste of time.

nintendo sues even if you sneeze and it sounds like pikachu, lmao jk ... sort of. :roll:
One of my... more controversial projects on github has references to Mario littered in random comment stories through the source code. My logic is if anyone ever tries a DMCA takedown I can sick Nintendo on their ass.

This is a good thing, as others have said this makes it easy for Steamdeck users to get, it also opens it up to the less savvy, enables easier and quicker updates to be pushed without having to goto the website and with the community page allows for better integration of mods, fixes etc

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
nintendo sues even if you sneeze and it sounds like pikachu, lmao jk ... sort of. :roll:
well ... *peek-ACHOO!* ... you should hear me doing it irl ... it's so convincing :laugh: i also do a good impersonation of Mario, when i give an Aquagym session and start with a "here we gooo!" ... that always make the kids (and older kids at heart) laugh.

hum ... i don't think Nintendo will sue anyone ... since as long as you own a game ... ripping the ROM to use with an emulator is technically legal ... and i can't really remember seeing a precedent where an old gen console emu got shot down, SneS9x ZSNES DsMuME and co still exist (lucky for me )

i don't see Sony suing over ePSXe, PPSSPP, PCSX2/AetherSX2 or RPCS3, since they still exist, are updated and are on Google play for some (and i use a lot of them given that i have a bunch of original games for PSP, PS, PS2 i own, i think i also need to give Xenia a go ... i have a few X360 exclusives around :laugh: )

most FAQ have that answer:
"Emulators are 100% legal, as is the process of downloading them. They are no different to other programs you might download such as word processing or music player software. Downloading and uploading ROMs is illegal, however, so make sure you use your own game files."

to me, as long as it's not a last/next gen console and you have bought the games you want to play : totally okay

it's a neat addition for a STEAMDECK imho.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
This is something I take my hat off to Valve for allowing on the platform. RetroArch, Dolphin and hopefully many more.

And if Nintendo is not stupid, they're going to put ROMs for legal purchase on Steam as well! I would buy several of my favorite games without complaint.

ir_cow

Staff member
Give it a week before Nintendo sues and it taken down. Only reason why that hasn't happened yet is because you still need to source your own BIOS rom. BIOS roms are illegal to host / download.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
They should have done this YEARS ago! Sega already has.

Yup! I have the whole Genesis collection they put on Steam and a few of the Saturn ports like NiGHTS (this one is still on my backlog), they even added some of my favorite games like Galaxy Force II - shame that they didn't add the Thunder Force games (II and III at least), as I understand Sega owns the rights to the Technosoft games but not entirely, I guess they weren't able to secure a licensing deal.

Unfortunately that is going to be a little of a problem, a lot of companies that developed older games are now defunct or no longer exist, and have no legal heir either, leaving them in a state of limbo where it would probably constitute copyright infringement to distribute them, but there would be no one to collect said rights any longer to begin with. I don't think these automatically go to the public domain, though.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Give it a week before Nintendo sues and it taken down. Only reason why that hasn't happened yet is because you still need to source your own BIOS rom. BIOS roms are illegal to host / download.
actually, no ... for old console, no BIOS was needed, for PS, BIOS was needed but i did own a PS thus it was classified as legal, other emulator do not need BIOS (iirc AetherSX2 and other, in never needed BIOS ROM) also Dolphin exist since a long time and was never taken down ;)

for Dolphin: "Nope! Dolphin does not need a BIOS file to run."

and if the BIOS is recreated from scratch, no problems (nonetheless, most people who legally bought games for such consoles did buy/own such consoles at one time )

Unfortunately that is going to be a little of a problem, a lot of companies that developed older games are now defunct or no longer exist, and have no legal heir either, leaving them in a state of limbo where it would probably constitute copyright infringement to distribute them, but there would be no one to collect said rights any longer to begin with. I don't think these automatically go to the public domain, though.
yep. it is sad ... (i do own several cartridge and CDs of such games )

also ... i have bought Holy Diver and R-Type collection from Retro Bit (collector for Holy Diver and, iirc, standard for R-Type ) which are in standard NES and SNES cartridge thus using the same USB reader i used to dump all my old NES/SNES games ... i could legally use them for emulations for example, and Retrobit and other do have some neat oldies in catalogue, also my PS classic has also some ROMs in it which i could extract, tho i prefer modding my PS classic to run custom and add my PS library to it, tho i usually prefer having RetroArch on my Retroflag GPI case which host a RPi Zero W, in gameboy formfactor with 2 extra front button and 2 back trigger, which can emulate old consoles up to a PS without major slow down (and i would love to replace that one with a Rpi Zero 2 should it be compatible and furthermore ... in stock again :cry: )

Last edited:
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I am not sure who this is for. The type of people who couldn't install an emulator but can configure the emulator and finds roms seems really small.

Those with a Steam Deck interested in emulation like I am will be using Emudeck. It has more emulators and is a whole lot easier. https://www.emudeck.com/

Anyone could download the emulator from the official website, I don't exactly understand the relevance of this news lol

Anyone could download the emulator from the official website, I don't exactly understand the relevance of this news lol

You kidding? A Steam release would make it readily available on the Steam Deck (which is super popular despite poor global availability), not to mention Steam is a safe platform - and one that is actually used by companies to sell their games to begin with. Emulators on Steam make them much more accessible.

You kidding? A Steam release would make it readily available on the Steam Deck (which is super popular despite poor global availability), not to mention Steam is a safe platform - and one that is actually used by companies to sell their games to begin with. Emulators on Steam make them much more accessible.
It is still of little relevance to the massive majority of people

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Those emulators are already readily available on the Steam Deck. There are better solutions like Emudeck.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
in before Nintendo sues Valve
In before they don't, because Retroarch has been on Steam since 2010 with Nintento emulation and nothing happened because emulation are not illegal.

Wii had Madworld, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes, and more games that were all sort of batshit for that console that never got enough love because it was "on the Wii" never mind they were all ground breaking.
Add Baten kaitos to that list.

In before they don't, because Retroarch has been on Steam since 2010 with Nintento emulation and nothing happened because emulation are not illegal.
Yeah, emulation is not ilegal.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Add Baten kaitos to that list.

Yeah, emulation is not ilegal.

don't worry, its only a few bribes away to politicians "as campaign donations" before it is illegal ;) welcome to america baby