• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GameStop Downsizes, Over 300 Stores to Permanently Close

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
But I thought they were essential. :(

Just STOP :ohwell:

But yeah... the demise of physical game stores... I mean, if you didn't see it coming, what drugs were you on...

I'm not sure I agree. As the above poster, I see this going the way of blockbuster. One-store operations only.
Time will tell.
That said and in a way, the brand and the handling at many of their other stores have really gone downhill from those days. The way they handled trade-ins and resale have gotten considerably worse, and the way they treat their employees is complete and utter shit.
These are some of the reasons why I think a restructure is going to happen, which is needed.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
Absolutely not. But I assume older people just don't have time for it. You disagree?
Yep. What they said:
Yes, I very much disagree. Adults still have free time, and my generation, that grew up gaming, still game in their free time as entertainment. Older generations golfed, or went to baseball games, or went to the movies, etc. Younger generations play games, even if they are in their 30s and 40s now. And we also tend to have more disposable income too.

Teenagers today just don't play games like we used to 20 years ago. They're more into smartphone gaming, Fortnite, LoL and things like that.
If Baldur's Gate or Civilization launched today, they would become niche and forgotten games. It just isn't interesting to kids AD 2020.
As mentioned above, what kids like is only a part of the story as games can, and often, target older audiences and still be successful. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, a AA, award-winning game about psychosis, was successful despite being a fairly niche game (excellent game by the way). GRIS, another excellent, award-winning, but niche product (probably my GOTY in 2018), turned a profit within a week. Lucas Pope's Papers, Please and his follow up, Return of the Obra Dinn are also award-winning titles that didn't sell 10 million copies, but they don't really need to with far smaller budgets. Just last year you had a game like Disco Elysium, most definitely a niche product, supposedly selling hundreds of thousands of copies. I can go on and on about fantastic single-player titles that were successes that aren't geared towards kids, but you get my point.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
What's shocking is they actually had 300 stores to close

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Their revenue is slowly fading due to digital subscriptions and purchases. As technology advances, games will move to the cloud via streaming and distribution. Physical copies of games really won't make sense. Further, games are simply becoming too large for physical media.

Physical copies of music have essentially collapsed to a 5-10% market share. Movies are following suit.

I don't think there is any reading between lines.
That's only because game developer stopped compressing things to the same degree they used to for anti-piracy reasons. Thank EA for that terrible idea. Gigabyte after gigabyte of uncompressed MP3s, because MP3s are just the pinnacle of audio quality, all for "performance" as EA claimed. Performance, for a game built on the source engine.

And even with gigabit internet, these ever growing sizes will pose just as many challenges to internet infrastructure and storage. There is a real benefit to not having to downloaded 150GB just because you want to play a single game.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Absolutely not. But I assume older people just don't have time for it. You disagree?
If Baldur's Gate or Civilization launched today, they would become niche and forgotten games. It just isn't interesting to kids AD 2020.

Hmm... maybe you need new glasses.

Definitely looks niche and low budget, indeed! They got this project in spite of Obsidian and others trying to get it... because they made Divinity Original Sin 1/2 and those were sleeper hits. This, together with the multitude of other recent releases in cRPG land... Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, to name a few. This genre is getting a massive revival. Just like space did a few (more) years ago and we backed Star Citizen... which brings me to another 'niche'... the largest crowdfunded project in game history. Yeah. Niche :)

You mentioned Civilization? I wonder how VI is doing... Note the slow upward trend over the last years.

Niche? This is niche... but it still got through Kickstarter and is now a finished project, rivalling other cRPGs and often surpassing it in pure scope and size. Note the Steam review count.

Older people don't have time...? They make time, wherever they can, but time or not... the demand is there, the age group has the money, and they grew up with games. This is where the phenomenon of a 'Steam backlog' originates from... I find myself in this category a little bit more every day and I can tell you right now... age is irrelevant here. What you're seeing now is new generations that have grown up with gaming and its simply a part of life, much like reading books.

What people without time DONT do, is waste it by visiting a physical store. They go online, order their shit at the lowest price and leave... for the past 5-10 years already :)

$720/person isn't really that much. That's $60 a month on games, so basically one new game a month. I know people that buy something game related every single time they get paid.

Yeah and dont forget the elephant in the room: MTX. Six skins and you're already easily 60 bucks lighter.

Last edited:
Well exactly, that's one new game a month. On average!
I may have been buying games so often when I was 12. Nowadays I buy 2-3 games a year (probably like most gamers in their 30s).

You know... I have absolutely nothing against people gaming for few hours a day. I've been there. And if someone can afford spending $200+ per month on games, nothing wrong with that either.
But the way I see this, there just aren't that many good games...

Also, I though that nowadays most avid gamers don't play multiple single-player titles, but focus on a handful (...single...) multi-player game.

I'd love to see some Steam sales statistics. :eek:

200$ per Month for Games? That would be about 10 to 20 Games per Month.
Who can play that much games?
There are tons of good games, but cannot play all of them.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Last physical PC game I bought(from EB)was MW2 and even then it was pretty much just a Steam code. Mine has been gone for years anyway. Their trade in policy is:
1DACA5EF-24EC-4718-A39D-FD97F3C57980.jpeg

Definitely looks niche and low budget, indeed!
?
Obviously I meant franchises. Baldur's Gate III is going to happen (probably) only because fans are waiting for another title in the series. I'm in that group, obviously.
Honestly, I'm looking forward to how teenagers react to this game.
200$ per Month for Games? That would be about 10 to 20 Games per Month.
Who can play that much games?
There are tons of good games, but cannot play all of them.
AAA titles launch at $40+ these days, with all the special editions often going for twice as much.
"Assassin's Creed® Odyssey - ULTIMATE EDITION" was whopping $120.

It also includes DLC, subscriptions and microtransactions.
Pokemon Go alone makes around $250mln/year in USA (close to $1 bln globally).

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
It depends, honestly the store can be quite useful for some stuff, like limited editions for collectors.

What is more up to date than a web forum?
Mostly Facebook, complemented by portals like Reddit, Instagram.

From the more pro-oriented side: Stackoverflow (and all the clones) for community interaction and QA systems for enterprise support.

Mostly Facebook, complemented by portals like Reddit, Instagram.

From the more pro-oriented side: Stackoverflow (and all the clones) for community interaction and QA systems for enterprise support.

Thanks. I am registered on Facebook and Reddit and I am using Stackoverflow.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
What is more up to date than a web forum?

Forums are a left over from web 1.0, they survived as a shell of their former self like chat rooms

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
I only buy Switch games physical, if possible. If I'm going to buy it, might as well give it some resale value IF I ever sell one. Oh, and we have TWO Switches in the house, and it's a complete pain in the ass to "share" games bought digitally. (last i checked)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Gamestop's website needs a lot of work. I always have trouble with it. I have the Gamestop credit card, but I can't use it online... it says my information is wrong somehow, even though nothing has changed since I got it.

Most recently, I tried to order a Nintendo gift card there. I used PayPal checkout. When I clicked the button for submit/complete order, it led me to an error page saying the transaction was cancelled... so I never got an order confirmation from them, let alone the gift card, however my PayPal was charged, and my bank account even reflects the charge. If I got charged, how was the transaction cancelled? Apparently, the only part of the transaction that was cancelled was their end of the deal...