• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GELID Launches SubZero M.2 XL - High-Performance Cooling Kit for M.2 SSDs

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
yup should do the job perfectly, i thought you were not supposed to heatsink the memory anyways.

what bothers me is voiding the warranty

yeah a bit of heat is OK on the flash it like hot chips when writing but sometime they can get to hot and writing slows same with the controller when it gets too hot it throttles and write speeds take a dive aswell I try to keep it an even temp across the lot

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
yeah a bit of heat is OK on the flash it like hot chips when writing but sometime they can get to hot and writing slows same with the controller when it gets too hot it throttles and write speeds take a dive aswell I try to keep it an even temp across the lot

On most m.2 drives the hottest part is the controller or the ram usually.

Most NAND actually is the fastest it can be in the 40-60'C range. If you add even a small active cooler, many will idle at nearly ambient, and the bench scores end up dropping some.

It gets complicated as the flash gets older. As the write cycles climb the voltages required to erase/write climb and the voltage has to be applied longer. So the NAND gets hotter, which past a certain point accelerates the wear. Drives with bigger SLC caches can delay this, as they use less/shorter voltage applications to write to the cells.

Combine this with a toasty Controller and RAM chips, you easily end up with thermal throttling and even thermal run away. I've had NVME drives get so hot they damaged their NAND.

Even with the wussy fins on this cooler, it will spread the heat, and lower the maximum operating temps by at least more than 0' degrees...

That's why it's labelled 'Sub-Zero'... lol

*groan*