• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Unveils its New U4-series of Ultralight Notebooks

"So far it seems like Gigabyte is only offering a single processor option, which consists of an Intel Core i7-1195G7 CPU, which is a quad core part with a top boost speed of 5 GHz and Iris Xe graphics."

I am very doubtful that the 5Ghz can be sustained for more than a second on this laptop. While this is only a quad core processor, but to hit 5Ghz even on a single core is going to need a much bigger heatsink that what is offered here. Just hope Gigabyte don't make an exploding laptop too.

Screen resolution wise, I think it is ok for a very slim laptop because it helps to preserve battery life for people on the go.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
"So far it seems like Gigabyte is only offering a single processor option, which consists of an Intel Core i7-1195G7 CPU, which is a quad core part with a top boost speed of 5 GHz and Iris Xe graphics."

I am very doubtful that the 5Ghz can be sustained for more than a second on this laptop. While this is only a quad core processor, but to hit 5Ghz even on a single core is going to need a much bigger heatsink that what is offered here. Just hope Gigabyte don't make an exploding laptop too.

Screen resolution wise, I think it is ok for a very slim laptop because it helps to preserve battery life for people on the go.
Marketing stunt, yes - it's not going to be practical to have a thin&light boost to 5GHz for anything more than a few seconds.

At the same time, it's not going to be outside the realms of cooling as long as the device itself is cool to start off with.

That cooler is a 20W cooling solution at best, so this 1195G7 will be configured for 12W cTDP for sure. Test have shown that this silicon can hit 5GHz on a single-threaded load at around 55W which is going to overwhelm that cooling solution in a couple of minutes at best, but this is how all laptops have worked for ages; The cooler has maybe 50% headroom over the idle TDP and the CPU can boost to 250% of the cooler's dissipation ability at the cost of raising the laptop's chassis temperature. That's STAPM.

I've used alloy-bodied laptops configured to 15W that have boosted to 45W before, and whilst they can only handle that for 30 seconds or so, the performance is there for bursty workloads.

Realistically, 5GH *is* a marketing stunt number; I'd expect 4.7GHz boost would consume around 15% less power and still deliver 95% of the boost performance (and of course 100% of the continuous performance since that is entirely limited by the cooling solution). This is why I'd actively avoid paying for the 1195G7 and just get the 1165G7, though the i5 is even better since it'll knock $150 off the laptop price and all you really lose is a few GPU execution units which changes Xe from "not really great but it'll have to do" to "still not really great but I guess it'll have to do". IMO that's a win-win.

dimar11

Let me guess, the power supply is made by Gigabyte and battery by Samsung..