• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

google will shut down google labs

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
T

twilyth

Great post. I always go to the GL page and want to play with some of the stuff there but I never get around to it.

It's probably a smart decision to try to consolidate. As long as google was growing at ridiculous annual rates, it could afford to toss money at a variety of ideas. As they're now becoming more of a mature enterprise, it makes sense to pull back.

But GL did give us google maps and froogle (google shopping) which I do use frequently, so it probably means that a couple of good ideas won't be pursued. That's a bummer.

Google Toolbar, at least for Firefox, is done too. It's a shame to see a legacy die. Google Labs will be missed by many. Much of what Google currently offers came from Google Labs: Maps, Earth, Toolbar, GTalk, Docs.

Last edited:
Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
But GL did give us google maps and froogle (google shopping) which I do use frequently, so it probably means that a couple of good ideas won't be pursued. That's a bummer.

Ahhhh man. I ALWAYS use google search with the shopping tab to see where the cheapest stuff is. That really sucks. I'm probably going to have to favorite more than a few etailers now in my bookmarks....along with the couple hundred that I already have :eek:

T

twilyth

I'm sure that neither of those will be affected. There's already plenty of ad revenue from google shopping I'm sure and I don't think they will have a problem making google maps self sustaining. Don't know about google earth though.