• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GoPro and other action cameras

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
hero5.jpg
Last October I bought a used GoPro Hero 5 Black and I'm delighted with its performance, with video up to 4K @30fps. No doubt about it, there's a learning curve especially with mounting the camera, battery life and SD card size and quality.
Anyway, up until now I've been editing the videos and adding a voice-over later, which doesn't really give you the sense of being there. Besides, all the best travel videos have the running commentary live, so to speak. The unit does have internal mics, but when mounted on your helmet, it's never going to hear you, which is where it gets problematic.
From the Hero 5 onwards, GoPro decided to remove any external mic facility thereby requiring us to buy their cumbersome USB-C mic adapator for US$50 (US$200 in Arg) which is clearly out of the question for me.
gopro-mic-adaptor.jpg
It's also clear that GoPro have somehow blocked other Bluetooth devices from pairing - a Bluetooth mic for example. However, your phones needs to pair because of the GoPro app on the phone.
I then happened upon a very clever app called Myk For GoPro which allows you to pair your phone with the GoPro and you can then connect an external mic to your phone (if you still have a jack) so your voice will be recorded while filming.
There's a lot more to explain about Myk, but it appears to solve the problem and so I bought a month's sub which removes all the restrictions.
Has anyone else have any experience of Myk or indeed the official mic adaptor? I'd be curious to know thoughts on this subject.