• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

got a ubuntu 11.04 question

Processor Celeron 430 (Conroe-L)
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula
Cooling Water, Zalman Reserator XT
Memory Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) Visiontek 2600 PRO
Storage Maxtor Maxline 3, more Maxtors
Display(s) Acer P243w 24"
Case Aspire X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK
Audio Device(s) Mbox
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Protools and a bunch of racing games...
i know this is probably a simple problem, but i am running a caching proxy on ubuntu server 11.04. I am using my phone via USB as a WAN interface, and the ubuntu server serves as a gateway to the rest of my network and serves dhcp.

Two questions:

1. It sometimes autosenses the phone, but almost every time i unplug the phone i have to reboot the machine with the phone plugged in for it to work again. Is there a way around this? I already have the phone (usb0) defined in interfaces with a static ip.

2. Every time i boot, i have a routine of
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server start
and
Code:
sudo shorewall start
. I also have to edit /etc/resolv.conf every time because i guess somehow it is being overwritten by dhcp. Is there a way to add isc-dhcp-server and shorewall to the boot process? Is there a way to lock down resolv.conf or define name servers some other way that wont be overwritten on boot?

The network works perfectly by the way, it just takes an extra 10 minutes to set everything back up when i get home from work.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
as far as your boot process, you could write a basic script in cron and have it execute during the boot process saving you time. im not sure why you have to reboot though when you unplug your phone. if it is usb you should be able to restart that process in init.d manually.