• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Crashing Help

ZeroTzu

Firstly, i am a new user to TechPowerUp, literally just created an account to post this thread so if i am posting in some unrelated thread, please tell me.

I have a Lenovo legion 5, model is 15IMH05H.
It has i7-10750H with an RTX 2060.

My issue with my laptop is that it consistently crashes in games and i have no idea why. What i know is that it has something to do with my RTX 2060. The game will not immediately crash when I run it though, it might take its time sometimes but it WILL crash.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some of the games that i know will crash and what usually occurs when the crash does happen

World of Warships
The game will start to have freeze for a few seconds, before making the graphics in the game look weird.
here are some of the pictures.
A few seconds i enter a battle the game will start to freeze up, when the freeze stops, the graphics in the game will look weird(.ie my ship turns completely black, the horizon turns black). After this freezing occurs a few times more within a span of like 1 min, my computer just gives up on using the 2060, and switches to the iGPU.

When in lobby, sometimes the graphics will glitch out and my ship will also turn black.
1664132085740.png

(The ship you can see above is not supposed to be black)
And now, as i am writing this post, windows actually showed a pop up saying
1664131276770.png

(This is an image i found online, but the prompt is the same and its World Of Warships instead of FIFA17)

Mount and Blade BannerLord
1664130459656.png

(Found this image online but the error is mostly the same)

Genshin Impact
Game will crash after 1-2 mins after i start playing

Roblox
This is the only game that has only crashed once a few months ago and hasn't since, I think that it just might be down to the games not being that demanding.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The weird thing is that, when i try to run Furmark stress test and benchmark, nothing happens. It runs perfectly fine.
During normal usage(ie. using google, watching video) nothing happens as well.

I hope some of you can help me with this or i'd have to send it in for repairs which i dont really want.

Not important but...
I got cheated of 25 bucks for a "diagnostic fee" from a repair shop when i told them my issue and sent it in for repairs. I gave them all the games that had issues, told them they could use the games i had installed through steam to test. A week later, they brought it back to me saying they could not find the issue while i had to pay them 25 dollars. When i questioned more and told them i could tell the the only game they tested was left for dead 2, a game which i didnt even say had any problems with and didn't even play, they went " Oh we use our own hard drive to test the games, it might have been a hard drive issue so you can try to change your hard drive yourself".
They dead ass asked me to fix the issue myself....

Issue is not my hard drive btw, tested the game through my another external drive but it still occurs. So they likely were bullshitting.

Processor i5 4570
Motherboard Asus h81m-p
Memory G.skill ddr3 1600 2x4 gb
Video Card(s) MSI RX 470 4gb
Storage Crucial MX 500 500gb ssd , WD 500 gb hdd
Display(s) LG m237wdp
Audio Device(s) Microlab FC 330/Realtek 887
Power Supply Be quiet 400w
Mouse Logitech g203
Keyboard Logitech wireless
I'm not an expert but it sounds like heating issue....if not try to install new gpu drivers or what I would do is clean windows install with latest drivers.

System Name N/A
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Snowman MT6S
Memory 24 GB DDR4 SDRAM
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6600M (Navi23) [AMD]
Storage Reletech P400 SSD 1024GB
Display(s) 1920x1080p TV
Case Deepcool Tesseract
Power Supply WPM Gold Zero, 550W, 80 Plus Gold, Semi-Modular
Benchmark Scores Old X3440 Build on HWBOT: https://hwbot.org/submission/3915974_marvin129_cinebench___r15_xeon_x3440_
did you choose to use dedicated GPU from nvidia drivers?

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
A few more questions :
If you use the computer let's say for working and browsing the net, it won't crash?
On the other hand if for example you watch a movie - it crash ?
If you play any game will crash ?

normal OPTIMUS problem "noteboook?"
igpu works ,.,d-gpu falls ???

EVENT VIEWER find all from NVKernel or others CRITICAL problems

gpu testing ,,select RTX try render >>check SENSOR
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?attachments/bez-n%C3%A1zvu-png.147904/
<<<for fast test "need see stable CLOCK for CORE / VRAM or POWER"

RTX > 85C max /cpu 94C is most time PROCHOT > cpu drop

and you using custom or oem config for CPU /GPU ??
GPU-Z > verify GPU OC "some apps overwrite gpu profile"
Defaults vs current CLOCK "first tab"

and GPU BLOCK warning :confused: I see this for the first time.
or any bug or setup in windows setup ??

/// some notebook have EC reset function >> try this
but you must check google "my support is only for MSI" :laugh:

edit
WINDOWS GPU SETTING "try this"
variable support from windows - disabled "best using only NVPANEL"
GPU SCHEDULER- disabled

last NVIDIA DRIVERS "clean installation" -- DDU for this
NVIDIA > only drivers "clean installation" and for OPTIMUS also first must install i-gpu drivers

best way ,.,.CHIPSET / igpu /nvidia

EDIT
gpu block info :wtf:

only there could be something here ,,but best > NVPANEL/3D - here setup this management

Last edited:

ZeroTzu

Yes, its precisiely because im using the dedicated gpu that it crashes. If i choose the intel UHD graphics, aside from running really like a IGPU, nothing of that sort happens
did you choose to use dedicated GPU from nvidia drivers?

A few more questions :
If you use the computer let's say for working and browsing the net, it won't crash?
On the other hand if for example you watch a movie - it crash ?
If you play any game will crash ?
It doesn't crash on normal workload, like you said, browsing the net and watching movie, but it will crash in games, those that are more demanding, even if its only abit.
The weird thing is , when i ran furmark stress test on it... it didnt crash.

I'm not an expert but it sounds like heating issue....if not try to install new gpu drivers or what I would do is clean windows install with latest drivers.
alright, i'll try that

normal OPTIMUS problem "noteboook?"
igpu works ,.,d-gpu falls ???

EVENT VIEWER find all from NVKernel or others CRITICAL problems

gpu testing ,,select RTX try render >>check SENSOR
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?attachments/bez-n%C3%A1zvu-png.147904/
<<<for fast test "need see stable CLOCK for CORE / VRAM or POWER"

RTX > 85C max /cpu 94C is most time PROCHOT > cpu drop

and you using custom or oem config for CPU /GPU ??
GPU-Z > verify GPU OC "some apps overwrite gpu profile"
Defaults vs current CLOCK "first tab"

and GPU BLOCK warning :confused: I see this for the first time.
or any bug or setup in windows setup ??

/// some notebook have EC reset function >> try this
but you must check google "my support is only for MSI" :laugh:

edit
WINDOWS GPU SETTING "try this"
variable support from windows - disabled "best using only NVPANEL"
GPU SCHEDULER- disabled

last NVIDIA DRIVERS "clean installation" -- DDU for this
NVIDIA > only drivers "clean installation" and for OPTIMUS also first must install i-gpu drivers

best way ,.,.CHIPSET / igpu /nvidia

EDIT
gpu block info :wtf:

only there could be something here ,,but best > NVPANEL/3D - here setup this management
thats really interesting, i'll try that now

1664378903569.png

as u can see, the system hasn't yet reached anywhere near unsafe temperatures and its already freezing up.
So it might not be

I am running the game now at medium settings and it works fine, previously it was on very high settings.
Even so, it should not be freezing up and causing game crashes. Perhaps it might be a power issue?
I contacted a technician and he said it could be the powersupply being faulty that causes the gpu to start acting up when running games that draw alot of power.

sorry, the powersupply as in the one in the motherboard i think, not the external one.

Attachments

• 1664379368187.png
    1664379368187.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
@ZeroTzu - as you said, in gaming when you computer will run at full, for sure something is causing this.
So you have two options : 1 = to clean install the windows and the drivers and 2nd to clean the GPU and to re-paste it to avoid overheating.
Remember to clean the fan and cooler with compressed air also.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Strange. Your second shot shows that the GPU is running at a core clock of 1755 MHz, but none of the 2060 Mobile variants in the database boosts that high. It is also showing a power draw of 79W, but neither of the variants with 1375 MHz memory use over 65W of power.

The other variants run up to 115W, but have different memory clocks. Very peculiar.

ZeroTzu

Strange. Your second shot shows that the GPU is running at a core clock of 1755 MHz, but none of the 2060 Mobile variants in the database boosts that high. It is also showing a power draw of 79W, but neither of the variants with 1375 MHz memory use over 65W of power.

The other variants run up to 115W, but have different memory clocks. Very peculiar.
Woah, that's concerning, I never do any overclocking though. Is it dangerous if it's doing that on its own?

@ZeroTzu - as you said, in gaming when you computer will run at full, for sure something is causing this.
So you have two options : 1 = to clean install the windows and the drivers and 2nd to clean the GPU and to re-paste it to avoid overheating.
Remember to clean the fan and cooler with compressed air also.
Alright, I'll try reinstalling my driver's first. I just wanna hold off on any trying any invasive troubleshooting steps because I'm not familiar with fixing laptops and I also have pretty important stuff in it.

Woah, that's concerning, I never do any overclocking though. Is it dangerous if it's doing that on its own?
Sounds more like a software reporting issue to me. Otherwise you have some sort of magic chip that boosts higher and draws less power.
Alright, I'll try reinstalling my driver's first. I just wanna hold off on any trying any invasive troubleshooting steps because I'm not familiar with fixing laptops and I also have pretty important stuff in it.
If you have a spare, pop out your drive and put in the spare. Install Windows afresh and use the latest drivers.

If your particular model uses dual drive, pull out both to be safe. Most people have a spare 2.5" drive laying around, or in an old device they no longer use.

ZeroTzu

I do have my doubts on it being a thermal issue though, you can see on my first attachment with the gpuz tab, its thermals are at a pretty consistent 65°C throughout.

Sounds more like a software reporting issue to me. Otherwise you have some sort of magic chip that boosts higher and draws less power.

If you have a spare, pop out your drive and put in the spare. Install Windows afresh and use the latest drivers.

If your particular model uses dual drive, pull out both to be safe. Most people have a spare 2.5" drive laying around, or in an old device they no longer use.
I'd love to but I don't trust myself enough to do it tbh

But you might be onto something here, I noticed that during testing, in the case that the GPU freaks out alot, it's when it's suddenly boosting to 1900+MHZ!!!, You can see in my first attachment, every single time it boosts that high, my system will freeze up, and the clocks will go down. In a few seconds it tries to boost up again but freezes up again and comes back down. It's shown by the fluctuating clocks towards the right of the graph

I'd love to but I don't trust myself enough to do it tbh
It's not really hard. Do you have an old HDD (or SSD) and a flash drive?

ZeroTzu

No not right now, I'm actually out visiting relatives. I don't think they would have any old drives lying around, they don't use computers .
I *might* have some at home though but that would have to wait till I'm back to check in a few days.

if you fall only in random loads - try boost 3 custom curve "or new vbios"
msi afterburber - CTRL+ F >> here custom curve on end 0.950mV or negative OC "-50 for core"

drivers ? > chipset + igpu + nvidia "this fully and correct re-install"
find info about EC reset "when exist" >> this helps for more stable power delivery.

Last edited: