• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gpu overheating to over 90C in seconds

D

Deleted member 67555

i sent my overheating gpu to a friend to check and he told my the gpu is working fine, which is wierd , i pluged my monitor to the motherboard then i noticed something the computer still crash , and i also notice if i copy something to a usb flash it is is copying for examble like copy hold hold hold copy hold hold hold copy.... which is also wierd

is the problem that caused my this trouble is the motherboard or power supply or the cpu ??? pls help :D
Try replacing the Tim on the CPU.. Clean the CPU heatsink

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
the furmark pic i promised.. the time period isnt marked but the graph shows about three minutes of running.. note the slow and gradual increase in temps before the max is reached and things level off..

if max temps (90 C) are being reached in seconds something is fundamentally wrong with the OPs cooling system..

mine would never go over about 82 C no matter what.. the cards boost would just drop off and so would the gpu utilization (power usage) to stop them going any higher..

trog

Well played Trog, I see you run Furmark with an FPS cap of 75 on a 980ti setup

Boy oh boy the realistic temps you must see. Your GPU util is low because these cards aren't sweating at all. That Furmark run is precisely useless for analyzing anything whatsoever.

Stop spreading nonsense please, just like the guy who is adamant you have to refresh thermal paste on a yearly basis. Just because its something you do, doesn't mean it makes any sense. There's one thing it definitely doesn't do, and that is help someone with a problem any further.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
i sent my overheating gpu to a friend to check and he told my the gpu is working fine, which is wierd , i pluged my monitor to the motherboard then i noticed something the computer still crash , and i also notice if i copy something to a usb flash it is is copying for examble like copy hold hold hold copy hold hold hold copy.... which is also wierd

is the problem that caused my this trouble is the motherboard or power supply or the cpu ??? pls help :D

Without correct tools to check power supply, take it to a shop so they can test the system without having to buy parts.