1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gpu Problem

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by ntdouglas, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ntdouglas

ntdouglas

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Hoping I can get some help. I never had a videocard go out on me, so I'm not sure. All weekend I was getting bsods everytime I booted windows. I spent all weekend testing everything and the cards were my last resort. An hour ago I pulled one of them out, the one farthest from the nb. To my surprise I had a successful boot into windows. Everything was fine, precision tune looks fine, gpuz looks fine and the new 180.84 drivers seem to be working fine. So now I'm thinking the psu can't run both in sli. Pulled the working one out and put in the other. Seemed to be working fine but windows had to manually load the driver, seemed a little odd. Gpuz won't load, I get a error. Nothing registers in precision tune. I also don't have an option to run 1440x900 which is what I usually run. It also won't run my screesaver, another error message. And windows is telling me I have 14mb of video memory available. WTF :eek: Is this thing going out or what? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Sorry I am not laughing at you.....I also cooked a card this weekend, not sure how, out of the blue the temp skyrocketed and that was all she wrote.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Ah no way Bow D: That sounds gnarly. You're still under RMA and all right? Good luck to the both of you.

4. ntdouglas

ntdouglas

Thanks Received:
    Are my problems consistent with a card going out? I mean do they gradually go out or do they die immediately?

5. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    The cards that went on me, died hard and fast.

6. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    the psu is not because each 9600gt uses about 95 watts, could be that the primary back get very hot because of the way of cooling of the nb and something died, i dont know

ntdouglas says thanks.
  7. ntdouglas

ntdouglas

Thanks Received:
    Its not a heat issue. I have excellent cooling. Plus its freaking freezing in Chicago right now. My single 9600gt is sitting at 29c right now.

8. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try booting with only one card, uninstall drivers, run driver cleaner, reboot, install drivers reboot, shut down and install second card and last enable sli.;)

9. ntdouglas

ntdouglas

Thanks Received:
    I've tried all that.;) Like I said windows is showing 14mb of available ram on the suspect card. Also, it reports nothing in gpuz or precision tune and it can't even run my 3d screensaver.