• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU sag temperature increase is insane on Sapphire RDNA2 Cards...

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Sapphire is (for me) THE AMD AIB.
high quality, decent prices. just great products.

but not just the fact that the 6900XT Nitro+ has aggressive and very low power limits (maxed out slider = 303W.. that's 30W less than a Merc 319)
and even with 30W less power consumption these cards run very Hot.
The Cooler is awful, very light and has barely any mounting pressure.
for example.
my 6900XT runs without any GPU Sag compensation in a meshify 2 at 95°C Hotspot with 2700RPM Fanspeed. (overclocked)
my Merc 319 runs at half the speed. at 335W, with higher clock speeds at 85°C Hotspot.

not just the cooler sucks. the GPU is so light and fragile that even after a teardown and very tight reinstallation of the cooler any kind of lifting at the end of the card results in a temperature drop of 5-6°C across the board (GPU Edge from 68 to 62, Hotspot from 95 to 90 and Memory from 64 to 58.)

if you bought a sapphire RDNA2 Graphics Card because you are in the same boat of knowing that they are the EVGA of AMD Cards.. forget it. their new coolers are awful, under dimensionized (is that a word?) and they are very loud for the awful cooling.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't understand why you have a 3090 and a 6900 XT lol

I really like the stock coolers for AMD this round, with a strong fan curve I never break 80 celsisus on hot spot and 60 celsisus average even in demanding games. keep in mind I have an aggressive fan curve in place. but I really like the new method they use with the graphite stuff... I'm never taking this apart personally, as W1zz pointed out if you take apart a stock AMD cooler you have to remove all the graphite and replace it because it gets damaged. so yeah.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
I don't understand why you have a 3090 and a 6900 XT lol

I really like the stock coolers for AMD this round, with a strong fan curve I never break 80 celsisus on hot spot and 60 celsisus average even in demanding games. keep in mind I have an aggressive fan curve in place. but I really like the new method they use with the graphite stuff... I'm never taking this apart personally, as W1zz pointed out if you take apart a stock AMD cooler you have to remove all the graphite and replace it because it gets damaged. so yeah.
at least the cooler isn't just a finger thick.. the actual heatsink on the nitro+ looks like it's designed for a 3060..

I own almost all GPUs from Pascal to Ampere and GCN 5.0 to RDNA 2 (two 6900XTs)
not because i am super rich.
PCs in general and Computer Hardware is just my hobby (or call it obsession).
i don't buy expensive clothing, go into a movie for 25€, buy myself a nice bike or something similar. i just buy PC Hardware in metric tons :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
at least the cooler isn't just a finger thick.. the actual heatsink on the nitro+ looks like it's designed for a 3060..

I own almost all GPUs from Pascal to Ampere and GCN 5.0 to RDNA 2 (two 6900XTs)
not because i am super rich.
PCs in general and Computer Hardware is just my hobby (or call it obsession).
i don't buy expensive clothing, go into a movie for 25€, buy myself a nice bike or something similar. i just buy PC Hardware in metric tons :)

I understand, this is how I justifify my expensive PC as well, I don't go as all out as you do, but even before Covid I never went to concerts or movies, etc that most people do. Just not my thing. /shrug

I was actually playing Warcraft 3 last night and having a blast of nostalgia. I need very little in life to be happy apparently. LOL

side note: I highly recommend Anno 1701 History Edition game... been having a lot of fun with that recently... good stuff. Well optimized for modern systems