• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Scaling fixed the problems I had with my 4k monitor.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My 27" 1440p monitor died a few months back. For me 1440p@27" was a perfect resolution, I could see everything clearly from the distance I sit without needing any scaling. Being the pandemic and supply on monitors a little low in my area I decide to buy the Acer Nitro VG280K. It wasn't ideal, 4k at 28" is just too small for me without scaling.

The first thing I tried was to just set the resolution to 1440p. And that resulting in an absolutely unreadable blurry mess.
So I bit the bullet and went back to 4k resolution and changed the Windows scaling to 150%. That worked for the most part, but there are just so many games and programs that just don't work right with Windows scaling. But I just accepted that I need to go into any program that doesn't work right and change the scaling settings in compatibility. Annoying but I lived with it.

Today I was just messing around and decide to try to switch the scaling option in nVidia control panel from performing scaling on the Monitor to performing scaling on GPU. I then set the resolution to 1440p and turned Windows scaling off. And to my surprise, everything is clear!

Just wanted to share in case anyone is annoyed with Windows scaling like I am.

This is where you change to GPU scaling:
gpuscaling.jpg