• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gpu shroud mod.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Thread crap? I'm trying to make him realize he's wasting effort on a rusty piece of metal. See the other suggesting an Accelero Xtreme? Oh well.

See here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thread crapping

And I agree with these guys:

You're being a dick and totally crapping on this guys thread. If he wants to mod his shroud, even if it makes the cooling perform worse, that's his business. It's cool he decided to share it with us, which may not happen in the future if douche nozzles like you repeatedly bash his idea.

It's his hardware, not yours.

@ John Doe. you know theres a saying for you guys? it goes something like " haters gonna hate"
if you cant respect someones imagination and hard working skills, dont DE-motivate them with your BS. I guess you must be someone who likes everything ready made. But you must learn to appreciate others who like to do things like this just for the sake of it.

Wheres the fun in fitting a dumb looking accelero extreme on such a beautiful piece of engineering?
yes i think the accelero extreme is ugly.

also as long as this dude here has enough space for air to go in and an equivalent amount of air to come out, he will NOT have any problems.

Infact a well designed shroud is better than some open space, because you are improving airflow and hence reducing turbulence.

now move on

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I like the mod. It is cool.

Question: Would there be some way to tie the metal shroud to the heatpipe, like some sort of metal tab, between the gpu and heatpipe base, a sandwich approach, and have the shroud act as an additional passive cooling device?

Keep the pictures coming.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Sub'd. I want to see this getting done. Looks good so far. :)

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Its quite a challenge ,and yes the idea was to make the shroud act as a heatsink too, heres another pic of the two 80ml fans i bought[10$ each] to use for something like what im attempting to create.

I might start again on this with new sheet metal thats slightly thinner as weight is an issue atm, but by trying, at least i learnt a lot .All a bit of fun etc.:laugh::laugh:
Thanx for input and gracious attitude from all.

Thread crap? I'm trying to make him realize he's wasting effort on a rusty piece of metal. See the other suggesting an Accelero Xtreme? Oh well.

I know exactly what you mean, but on another hand, I don´t think it´s fair on him to demoralise it like this as no matter the result, it´s just fun to do stuff, regardless of the result, no matter the result, you have to start somewhere with modding and in my oppinion, better this than simply add cold cathodes to a case : )

D

Deleted member 24505

Its quite a challenge ,and yes the idea was to make the shroud act as a heatsink too, heres another pic of the two 80ml fans i bought[10$ each] to use for something like what im attempting to create.

I might start again on this with new sheet metal thats slightly thinner as weight is an issue atm, but by trying, at least i learnt a lot .All a bit of fun etc.:laugh::laugh:
Thanx for input and gracious attitude from all.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1725/gpu3002.jpg

Try using some thinner aluminium sheet instead maybe. I like were you're coming from, i like to do stuff like this to my pc.

@ john doe, i always say, if you aint got anything nice to say then don't say anything. If you don't like what he is doing, fair enuff but let the man fiddle with his stuff.

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
It would probably be best to use much thinner metal as well as try and give it some openings to vent out air besides with the main fan set.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
It would probably be best to use much thinner metal as well as try and give it some openings to vent out air besides with the main fan set.

Your right dark. It is too heavy, when i get a chance i will try again with better sheet, its very hard to fold steel and get an accurate edge,90 degree angle etc, i liked the idea of fully enclosed and venting all the heat outside of the case etc, easier said than done tho haha.:toast:

re-tigr, yes aluminium is the best, light strong and cool, im keeping my eye out for something i can improvise with ,hope you are well, kind regs from me.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
There is something called a brake, which is meant for bending sheet metal. If youdon't have access to one, you can work something up with some blocks of wood or a hard corner like on a desk, counter, table, etc.