• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU temperatures on idle higher after changing Motherboard

khesax

Hello, so I changed my CPU and Mobo from a i7 3770 and a ASUS P8P67-M to a i5 11400F and a MSI B560M Pro-VDH and I noticed that my GPU got hotter on touch, checking the temps on HWInfo revealed that on idle the GPU was sitting at 40-50 with the new mobo while with the previous one the idle temps were 30-35, looking for other temps I also noticed that the PCH temps were higher than the others and reading through other forums someone said that since the PCH diode is near the GPU, it could be transfering some heat to it through the PCI Slot, is this normal?

Edit: My GPU is a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC, Rev1.0.

Edit2: I also touched the back of the motherboard and it's pretty warm, CPU is running 40 on idle.

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
It would help to know which graphics card you have. Also the new platform may have different fan profiles so your fans run slower (and quieter).

khesax

It would help to know which graphics card you have. Also the new platform may have different fan profiles so your fans run slower (and quieter).

My GPU is a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC, Rev1.0, added to the initial post.

Right now I dont have any side panels on my CPU because I'm still testing things so I dont know if it could be affecting on something.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Using your fingers to measure temperatures is generally not particularly useful and temperatures are normally a lot lower than people think they would be.

Not having the side panel on definitely changes things, how it changes is harder to determine. It could make it better, could make it worse. But it does change airflow.

40-50c idle on a 3070 seems pretty normal to me, my 3070 idles around 40c +- a bit depending on ambient temperature and CPU load.

Most 3070's seem to idle around 40c so I would rather say that your previous numbers are the odd ones if anything. Are you sure the GPU entered passive-fan mode properly? If mine does not, which for some reasons happen at times where the fan is left on ~30%, it idles around 35c instead of 40c.