• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Test System Update May 2019

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
See my comments inline
Res Evil 2 - using Devil May Cry instead with same engine
Forza Horizon 4 - Uses MS Store, which I find horrible to use
WWZ - Has no single player, offline mode is with bots only, so can't be reliably tested
The Division2 - Multplayer, always online, patches will ruin all data, and can't control what other people do on-screen, so not repeatable
Anthem - same as division 2
Dirt rally 2 - same engine as F1 2018
New Dawn - didn't see much reason to pick this over regular Far Cry 5
Apex legends - same as division 2

How come a 2016 game and a 2017 game are too old while a 2016 and two 2015 games are not?
Depends on the game, too. Civ 6 was updated with better DX12 support in 2019, Rainbow 6 represents an eSports title, Witcher 3 is kind of like a reference

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Are not all games included in the final average?
VII was an example, like all the line up amd

I agree that based on the titles and the games we see that gpu choose, but this is not the case, at least in Italy.

And in Italy the average tpu is very popular...

Well then they should use TPU's reviews to get smarter about it and start to actually read them, don't they?

You cannot make the least interested readers the norm to write a review on. If you do that, the review becomes effectively worthless. What does that say about a lot of other reviewers... yep. They're not very useful. Another popular statement is that 'you need to test with settings most people use' - another useless consideration for a GPU review that is meant to show what hardware can do - the largest market share for GPUs is midrange so that'd mean every review would test medium/high settings... Its the same as 'testing' a Ferrari by going out for groceries.

Mainstream audience/reader has a habit of too short attention span to look at details. I see a lot of that in this topic (not you) and its good to see and recognize that - but its not good to tailor a review to that group. It is THIS group that needs to be educated, not the other way around.

See my comments inline

Depends on the game, too. Civ 6 was updated with better DX12 support in 2019, Rainbow 6 represents an eSports title, Witcher 3 is kind of like a reference

Thank you

I have another question:
the cards used are reference for amd and FE for nvidia?

So it's like we're comparing the amd reference blowers against cards that are already at custom nvidia level?

Well then they should use TPU's reviews to get smarter about it and start to actually read them, don't they?

You cannot make the least interested readers the norm to write a review on. If you do that, the review becomes effectively worthless. What does that say about a lot of other reviewers... yep. They're not very useful. Another popular statement is that 'you need to test with settings most people use' - another useless consideration for a GPU review that is meant to show what hardware can do - the largest market share for GPUs is midrange so that'd mean every review would test medium/high settings... Its the same as 'testing' a Ferrari by going out for groceries.

Mainstream audience/reader has a habit of too short attention span to look at details. I see a lot of that in this topic (not you) and its good to see and recognize that - but its not good to tailor a review to that group. It is THIS group that needs to be educated, not the other way around.

in fact it is the main problem, practically nobody who frequtenta the Italian forums reads your reviews in the single game or in the other tests, but they read directly the final average and all for a denigratory purpose only.

Unfortunately, the Italian mean boy is not very intelligent.

PS. I'm italian

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
So it's like we're comparing the amd reference blowers against cards that are already at custom nvidia level?
Fair point. It is not ideal but I don't think there are good options with this for a reviewer though. Nvidia sends out FE cards and the 5% difference in clock speed does not turn out to be as much as it seems. Also note that this is spec for Boost Clock that is inherently variable based on temperature and power.

Looking at the reviews, actual achieved clock speed is much more a function of the power limit than anything else. Because it made me curious, checked the TPU RTX 2080 reviews for details.
Format: Card model, Boost Clock spec - Average and Median from testing - Performance difference with FE in % (1080p/1440p/2160p respectively):
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition, 1800MHz - Avg 1897MHz, Median 1905MHz
- Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming Pro OC, 1815MHz - Avg 1920MHz, Median 1935MHz - 1/1/1%
- Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC, 1815MHz - Avg 1885MHz, Median 1935MHz - 1/2/2%
- Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Super Jetstream, 1860MHz - Avg 1924MHz, Median 1920MHz - 1/2/2%
- ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 STRIX OC, 1860MHz - Avg 1931MHz, Median 1980MHz - 2/3/3%
- MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, 1860MHz - Avg 1969MHz, Median 1965MHz - 2/3/4%

When it comes to the experience of someone actually buying a card, looking at RTX2080 listed in TPU GPU database (which should be pretty comprehensive): https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080.c3224 - Out of 147 listed cards only 55 (37%) are at base spec and 20 (14%) more have less than 1800MHz in spec.

I don't think using FE is much of an issue in practice.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Fair point. It is not ideal but I don't think there are good options with this for a reviewer though. Nvidia sends out FE cards and the 5% difference in clock speed does not turn out to be as much as it seems. Also note that this is spec for Boost Clock that is inherently variable based on temperature and power.

I don't think using FE is much of an issue in practice.
That

Out of 147 listed cards only 55 (37%) are at base spec and 20 (14%) more have less than 1800MHz in spec.
Out of those 20, most will have increased power limits, and the different cooler will affect boost clocks as well. There seems to be no way to really get a "NVIDIA reference RTX" card

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
How come a 2016 game and a 2017 game are too old while a 2016 and two 2015 games are not?
Well one of the games, (TW3) is still a good test for many GPU’s. Also, as W1zzard already explained earlier in the thread, it is one of the highest visited pages of his reviews.

He is able to see how many hits each page has. Most people don’t go to each and every page. They pick and choose how games that affect them score with the GPU’s.

Finally the problem is that to evaluate a card and therefore the purchase, the user looks at the table of averages and not the single game.
Actually, as I just mentioned, users mostly go to the games pages that they play or that interest them. W1z is able to see how many hits each page has. If the majority was to the performance summary, then that would be all he posted. But it’s not.

AC7 is a classic example of UE4 biased, a stock engine that runs bad on amd.
You sure about that? As far as I know it is not UE4, and was developed with AMD assistance, not Nvidia. Nice try though. ;)

EDIT: I did some research. It uses AnvilNext, a proprietary engine developed by Ubisoft Montreal. No UE4 involved.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
in fact it is the main problem, practically nobody who frequtenta the Italian forums reads your reviews in the single game or in the other tests, but they read directly the final average and all for a denigratory purpose only.

Unfortunately, the Italian mean boy is not very intelligent.

PS. I'm italian

If it makes you feel any better - that behavior is not unique to Italians. Many people and not just even gamers are way too quick about reading information. Its a symptom of our time maybe? Too much information, too little time. But... I think it is still important not to cater to that very shallow standard and I am very happy TPU / W1zzard keeps offering that.

As for your statement about testing Nvidia FE versus AMD reference yes you are absolutely correct and it is far from ideal. But at the same time, isn't this AMD's fault as well? They tend to be very late with the release of custom models the past few years, and reviewers will want to include AMD cards that are just released into their testing. There is also the unique case of Radeon VII that ONLY gets a reference (but open air, luckily) cooler. The same stuff happens with AMD driver updates. TPU gets complaints that its still reviewing on an older driver, but there is no rhyme or reason to how often AMD releases one. With Nvidia, both aspects have a very basic frequency; you just know game ready drivers pop up all the time and that a new branch number means its a bigger update; you also just know that there are non-reference cards at launch.

@W1zzard Wrt AMD reference versus Nvidia 'FE OC' results...from Turing onwards the review should really get a disclaimer for that, and I think its safe to improve AMD results by 5% across the board to get a better picture of relative performance. Not saying you should manipulate the charts, but a bold text above them isn't all that bad. Another option is mentioning the fact that Turing's FE's are higher TDP limited cards at the start of the review, and giving all Turing FE's in each chart the 'FE' moniker behind each GPU modelname.

Its important because a large number of users, especially with the price of cards going up, will resort to absolute crap blowers to soften the financial blow. They could easily end up half or a full tier lower than they had expected - Turing's performance spread per tier is pretty tight as it is. And SUPER will probably make it even tighter.

Another option might be to just stick to a 'blower versus blower' comparison, and use a non-ref Nvidia blower, but that kinda detracts from the WYSIWYG idea of your review and it being 'Nvidia ref stock versus AMD ref stock' at a basic level.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
I have another question:
the cards used are reference for amd and FE for nvidia?
All older cards other than the one that is the purpose of the review are reference/FE. There are simply too many variations to adequately keep all of them on hand and test all of them. W1z has a lot more to his life and work than testing 150 video cards in 20 games every time a new one comes out. Reference/FE is the only reasonable solution.

If you want to see how a particular model did, go back and look at the review when it came out. You can get a good idea comparing the two to see how yours would do now.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I wonder why ;)
The attitude and attempted baiting that you have displayed is probably why, so it's probably a good idea for you to take a break from this thread.

Well one of the games, (TW3) is still a good test for many GPU’s. Also, as W1zzard already explained earlier in the thread, it is one of the highest visited pages of his reviews.

He is able to see how many hits each page has. Most people don’t go to each and every page. They pick and choose how games that affect them score with the GPU’s.

Actually, as I just mentioned, users mostly go to the games pages that they play or that interest them. W1z is able to see how many hits each page has. If the majority was to the performance summary, then that would be all he posted. But it’s not.

You sure about that? As far as I know it is not UE4, and was developed with AMD assistance, not Nvidia. Nice try though. ;)

EDIT: I did some research. It uses AnvilNext, a proprietary engine developed by Ubisoft Montreal. No UE4 involved.
TW3 will also be a test still heavy, as it was crysis, but I don't understand why to use 3-4 year old games, and not only TPU, when the reason to buy a video card today is to play current games or 1 year old at the most.

Ace Combat 7 directly uses unreal engine 4 SDK, so nothing optimization for amd cards, no AnvilNext.

If it makes you feel any better - that behavior is not unique to Italians. Many people and not just even gamers are way too quick about reading information. Its a symptom of our time maybe? Too much information, too little time. But... I think it is still important not to cater to that very shallow standard and I am very happy TPU / W1zzard keeps offering that.

As for your statement about testing Nvidia FE versus AMD reference yes you are absolutely correct and it is far from ideal. But at the same time, isn't this AMD's fault as well? They tend to be very late with the release of custom models the past few years, and reviewers will want to include AMD cards that are just released into their testing. There is also the unique case of Radeon VII that ONLY gets a reference (but open air, luckily) cooler. The same stuff happens with AMD driver updates. TPU gets complaints that its still reviewing on an older driver, but there is no rhyme or reason to how often AMD releases one. With Nvidia, both aspects have a very basic frequency; you just know game ready drivers pop up all the time and that a new branch number means its a bigger update; you also just know that there are non-reference cards at launch.

@W1zzard Wrt AMD reference versus Nvidia 'FE OC' results...from Turing onwards the review should really get a disclaimer for that, and I think its safe to improve AMD results by 5% across the board to get a better picture of relative performance. Not saying you should manipulate the charts, but a bold text above them isn't all that bad. Another option is mentioning the fact that Turing's FE's are higher TDP limited cards at the start of the review, and giving all Turing FE's in each chart the 'FE' moniker behind each GPU modelname.

Its important because a large number of users, especially with the price of cards going up, will resort to absolute crap blowers to soften the financial blow. They could easily end up half or a full tier lower than they had expected - Turing's performance spread per tier is pretty tight as it is. And SUPER will probably make it even tighter.

Another option might be to just stick to a 'blower versus blower' comparison, and use a non-ref Nvidia blower, but that kinda detracts from the WYSIWYG idea of your review and it being 'Nvidia ref stock versus AMD ref stock' at a basic level.
Thanks for the answers

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
TW3 will also be a test still heavy, as it was crysis, but I don't understand why to use 3-4 year old games, and not only TPU, when the reason to buy a video card today is to play current games or 1 year old at the most.
And....based on your response you ignored what I said about W1zzard’s primary reason for using it: it is one of the most popular pages in every review he does.

Also, since when is there an arbitrary number of 1 year old games at the most for buying a new video card? What kind of nonsense is that? There are many reasons for buying a new card, and a number of them certainly do involve games older than 1 year.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

For comparison purposes. If you keep updating the selection of games to what is recent, you can never compare between reviews spaced apart more than a few months. That means there are situations where you couldn't even compare cards within the same generation in a good way for some games. It kinda defeats the point of standardized testing. Its always a pick and choose what games end up in a bench suite for a long time, but there is always going to be a small selection of them, and they're usually the games that cripple systems when they launch. TW3 and Crysis fit the bill perfectly. Popularity does help of course. But that mostly concerns popularity of the actual page with the test on it, not the game itself.

Note also that its impossible to pick the games everyone wants to see all the time, just like its impossible to cover all settings and resolutions. So choices must always be made, and its almost always a choice of evils because you'd preferably show as much as possible. So, the games are picked that offer the most interesting and informative set of numbers.

With this knowledge, maybe it makes it easier to think of good suggestions because that is what the topic's for!

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Do you still use the same hardware in 2020? (I googled a 2020 setup but could not find it)
Capture.PNG

(https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gpu-review-system-update-may-2019/)

What is the ambient/room temp you test the GPU's in? (IIRC you used to mention this in the GPU reviews but left it out recently? Around 22 degrees C?)
I don't see you mentioning any case, open bench?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
The 2020 setup is very similar, check the most recent GPU review. Card installed in case, one side open

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
The 2020 setup is very similar, check the most recent GPU review. Card installed in case, one side open

Ok I see
Capture.PNG

What about ambient/room temp?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
What about ambient/room temp?
22-23°C.. nothing worth mentioning, especially considering production variances are between coolers/GPUs/TIM