• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU too heavy?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have personally had a heavy card in the past that sagged (even thought the card was still straight because of the back-plate) that eventually caused the PCI-E slot pins to stop connecting. The board was still savable, as I took a straight pin and pulled the contact pins out and kind of bent them back out to where they would contact again. But the board was never the same... suffered from intermittent random reboots. Not enough to cause the machine to be unusable, but annoying.

Had a buddy who also had a super heavy card that had a back-plate. The outside edges of the card were arrow-straight, and the slot on the mobo was never damaged. But the weight did cause it to sag at the one weak point: The corner where the card's connector goes into the slot. The weight caused the card to bend, and eventually broke the traces that went from the card's contact pins to the rest of the board. Graphics card was totaled.

Don't listen to these people saying it can't hurt... for a ridiculously low price (free, even) you can brace your card. Loop the power supply cables over a drive bay if you have to... use legos if you have to... buy a fancy, pretty card brace if you want to. But there's no legitimate reason not to protect your expensive hardware.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I have personally had a heavy card in the past that sagged (even thought the card was still straight because of the back-plate) that eventually caused the PCI-E slot pins to stop connecting. The board was still savable, as I took a straight pin and pulled the contact pins out and kind of bent them back out to where they would contact again. But the board was never the same... suffered from intermittent random reboots. Not enough to cause the machine to be unusable, but annoying.

Had a buddy who also had a super heavy card that had a back-plate. The outside edges of the card were arrow-straight, and the slot on the mobo was never damaged. But the weight did cause it to sag at the one weak point: The corner where the card's connector goes into the slot. The weight caused the card to bend, and eventually broke the traces that went from the card's contact pins to the rest of the board. Graphics card was totaled.

Don't listen to these people saying it can't hurt... for a ridiculously low price (free, even) you can brace your card. Loop the power supply cables over a drive bay if you have to... use legos if you have to... buy a fancy, pretty card brace if you want to. But there's no legitimate reason not to protect your expensive hardware.

My card is stiff, it is locked into place on both slots plates, rest assured my card is heavy

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
My card is stiff, it is locked into place on both slots plates, rest assured my card is heavy
I understand that. Your card is also not identical to every other graphics card. Heat sinks can be constructed differently with centers of gravity at different points. The actual GPU chip can be closer to the front or further to the back of the card, resulting in the main bulk of the heat sink being in different places. Backplates can be more or less rigid, and some backplates aren't well secured to the card's IO shroud (which means it's just extra weight on the card, and not providing any rigidity with regard to being connected to the case, which is the real basis of the card's support.) Cards can have more or less heat sinks, (VRM, etc) more or less fans...

I think you get my point. Your card sounds awesome, and is probably fine. But it's not indicative of all cards.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I understand that. Your card is also not identical to every other graphics card. Heat sinks can be constructed differently with centers of gravity at different points. The actual GPU chip can be closer to the front or further to the back of the card, resulting in the main bulk of the heat sink being in different places. Backplates can be more or less rigid, and some backplates aren't well secured to the card's IO shroud (which means it's just extra weight on the card, and not providing any rigidity with regard to being connected to the case, which is the real basis of the card's support.) Cards can have more or less heat sinks, (VRM, etc) more or less fans...

I think you get my point. Your card sounds awesome, and is probably fine. But it's not indicative of all cards.

Course not lol by the way heres the breakdown of it lol

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290_Vapor-X/4.html

The middle of a roll of paper + ducktape = ghetto card support.
View attachment 97708

Ummm...is that permanent solution?

if the situation still making you wonder...
there you have, Atlas Graphics Card Brace Support.
$20 or less, and get you cover...
View attachment 97707
nice they got other designs? and 20bucks is kind of pricey for something like this...

So, what is best to brace the card?

I'm surprised cases still don't come with GPU holders as standard. Even though I have cheap one it did came with one of those.

how does it look like?

Backplates are supposed to help with that, but a lot of cards don't come with this relatively cheap thing.

Anyways, you could improvise... my first thought was legos.

like this? lol

Attachments

• Pv6ZxNUuhhqRWRimXTgfIYbB6M_WctBqeOxCcf1590U.jpg
    Pv6ZxNUuhhqRWRimXTgfIYbB6M_WctBqeOxCcf1590U.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,044
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i have two heavy weight palit jetstream cards.. first a pair of 980 tI cards and now a pair of 1070 cards.. i pop a little plastic spacer between the cards to stop the top one sagging down nearer the bottom one but apart from that they have been no trouble..

those pics are not just caused by the weight of cards.. it would take lot of force to do damage like that..

trog

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
those pics are not just caused by the weight of cards.. it would take lot of force to do damage like that..

trog
ill assume you havent seen it happen before. :)

One of them without a doubt is from shearing due to weight.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
anything that supports the Card and is Electrically non conductive will work
wether its Astheticly pleasing " that's in the eye of the Beholder"

My Guess that's a Size 36C Support :)

On a Side note
If i Could Afford to buy a Newer card even S/H and it arrived "Bent"
I would not care how well it works i would want "that Ebay Seller " to either Reduce the price or accept a Return

For me ( and no doubt many others )
A Bent Card is a sign of Neglect and bode not good for long term ownership

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
nice they got other designs? and 20bucks is kind of pricey for something like this...

Graphics Card Brace Support Bracket , another cheap brace, $12 ones are the cheapest around the corner i guess, the point is preventing PCI damage or zag in video cards, $20 still decent price fur such a useful bracket, that can be used on most video cards, also if you sell the video card can keep the brace, any way there should be cheaper ones at ali express or alibaba, its up to you to make the search and find the right price for you.

Making your own is another option, use acrylic plastic to create or cut a holder using the provided image of a commercial solution, also if you have a 3D printer source you could print one on hard plastic one, use your imagination, also lego bricks are the cheapest solution available, use colors to match your scheme and again your imagination to raise a discrete solution that wont hurt your PC scheme inside,

PD: i guess i will ending up getting my self the listed in the link just cuz i liked and is cheap :D ,

Regards,

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, what is best to brace the card?
\

Depends on what you want to spend on it. I've seen people put together some lego bricks, and simply put those under the back-outside corner of the card (or wherever the lowest-sagging point on the card is.)

Some people like these, and there are a ton of models at different price ranges (the linked one here is about the most expensive, but build like a tank):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atlas-Gr...7448&wl11=online&wl12=800003200&wl13=&veh=sem

Those basically transfer the weight off the graphics card/PCI-E slot, and to the back of the case. Get the most rigid one you can for the money you're willing to spend.

Some others prefer this kind: (double graphics card, holds straight up and down so that it is more stable than any of the bracket-type, the only drawback is it isn't mounted to the case, so care must be taken when moving the machine)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...B3Qd3b8F9SDsuiMPEeIaAvfjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Very tiny bit of sag but my OCD keeps playing up and just the Pcie cables won't do the trick keeping it perfectly straight.

But you gave me good inspiration here

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Looks more like abuse and not sagging.

Could be, but the captions said is was due to sagging on that X99 board.
It is hard to distinguish on the internet. My caveat was "extreme".
It could have also been due to a factory defect in the way the slot was attached, as noted by las in post #19.

Heat and constant pressure on the plastic slots has caused problems.

The newer slots, with metal reinforcement, protect the mobo better, not sure about how it affects the card itself, especially if it is without a back-plate.(rarer these days.)

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just another note: the ones that mount to the back of the bracket sometimes (depending on your card design) sit underneath the heat sink shroud. Some cards have very flimsy plastic shrouds around the fans, which can warp over time and cause your fans to run into the shroud. So if you have such a card (I have a couple of old 270x's like this) make sure you get a very long bracket so that it distributes the weight across the entire card, and not only along the "back" side of the card. Some of the cheaper brackets are short and only hold up the back near the IO brackets... If you don't have a backplate on your card, those aren't even worth it, as they just allow the card to sag at the middle. Get a long one, at minimum 3/4 the length of your card. (And that's solid advice for any card, regardless of the shroud, though if it has a good backplate, that can alleviate that issue.)

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
This is not difficult. Be creative and make something

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
The single one is about 6 inches tall, the double has another bar that threads together. I'll post a pic in a minute.

Edit: Pic:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
What about this? 5.99usd when it becomes available View attachment 97979
That looks pretty good, and the price is awesome. Only concern I have it how it fits with custom fans. My MSi cards have large fans and very flimsy shrouds, that style won't work on them.