• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU turning off while gaming

D

Deleted member 177333

Mate, I tried all of this. I also tried re installing the old gpu drivers. And still the problem occurs. Still my display goes off whenever I play games but other than that, the pc is still on. I also may add that when my display goes off, when i try ko hit numlock button the led lights won't go on or off.
Cable i used is DVI-D single link. My monitor ACER KA220HQ only supports VGA and DVI. I don't have the option to use HDMI.
I also updated my windows (1903)
I also updated my motherboard bios.
Is my power supply a problem?

Only happens when playing games, or in other words when there's a heavy load on the system -

Does the system actually reboot or does the screen just go black? Have you monitored load temperatures of GPU & CPU during gaming? You can use MSI afterburner to do this and log the data.

To me, your symptoms are most likely caused by either insufficient power delivery or an overheating component. It's possible your GPU could be going bad also, but probably less likely than the others.

I used the specs you provided and just put in basic items on a PSU calculator (1 ssd, 1 optical drive) just to see what it recommended and your PSU rating should be fine at 500W (the PSU calculator said you need at least a 450W), but it's possible your unit is just starting to fail. I'm not familiar with Rave brand...is that a good brand, or budget? If you have a spare PSU or a friend who has one you could try out I'd swap that first and then see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then investigate heat levels.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I think he is suggesting that you start your own thread with your own issues rather than jumping in on already solved issues that may be different to yours.
^^^This^^^

Proper internet and forum etiquette dictates you start your own thread with your own problem instead of hijacking another's thread - especially one that has been dormant for over a year. This does a couple things. (1) It ensures the attention goes to the OP and his problem as he deserves. And (2) by starting your own thread, you get the dedicated attention to your problem you deserve.

While you may have the same CPU and GPU, you have different motherboards, different brand graphics cards, and other significant hardware differences as well.
I'm just asking here
Asking for help is great. That's what TPU is for. Taking over someone else's thread to get help with your own problem, however, if frowned upon.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Only happens when playing games, or in other words when there's a heavy load on the system -

Does the system actually reboot or does the screen just go black? Have you monitored load temperatures of GPU & CPU during gaming? You can use MSI afterburner to do this and log the data.

To me, your symptoms are most likely caused by either insufficient power delivery or an overheating component. It's possible your GPU could be going bad also, but probably less likely than the others.

I used the specs you provided and just put in basic items on a PSU calculator (1 ssd, 1 optical drive) just to see what it recommended and your PSU rating should be fine at 500W (the PSU calculator said you need at least a 450W), but it's possible your unit is just starting to fail. I'm not familiar with Rave brand...is that a good brand, or budget? If you have a spare PSU or a friend who has one you could try out I'd swap that first and then see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then investigate heat levels.

I believe the Rave line is the budget basement line from Aerocool, they appear to be quite old as the specs list Gen 4 Haswell compatibility and they don't produce them anymore (500W), not sure on the ratings as the closest I could find spec wise is a 600W and it was OK but not good/great.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I believe the Rave line is the budget basement line from Aerocool, they appear to be quite old as the specs list Gen 4 Haswell compatibility and they don't produce them anymore (500W), not sure on the ratings as the closest I could find spec wise is a 600W and it was OK but not good/great.

The OEM of the Rave line is Andyson which is french for 'Avoid like the plague'

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Hello, hopefully someone can help me with my issue. I have been having an issue where my computer's GPU turns off when im playing games, such as CSGO. I cant make it through a match without it happening once. The GPU turns off and flashes white but the rest of the computer stays on. the cpu stays one and spinning, all the fans stay on and spinning, and the mobo stays on and lit up with leds. I have to force restart to get it working again. I was told it was the GPU overheating even though my censers said it wasnt, so i got 3 more 120mm fans. The problem continued... Then i was told it was my GPU failing so i got myself a brand new RX580... The problem continued. Then i was told my PSU is faulty and should upgrade it. Now i have a 850W Rosewill Glacier PSU, and the problem continues... Soon i will have 2 full computers before fixing this problem... I now have a program called HWINFO 64 that suppose to help me understand but i cant find a program that can read the saved documents saying what was what, it just comes out all scribbled and matrix like. The most confusing part to me is if i benchmark my computer with cinebench or furmark or heaven or valley or others that pound both the cpu and gpu at the same time, i cant get it to black screen like when i game.
I shall list my computer specs below and hope someone can help me figure out my issues.

PSU - Rosewill 850w
GPU - MSI RX 580
Ram - 16gig ram (2x8)
MOBO - msi gaming pro
CPU - Ryzen 1200 @3.8 (soon will be a ryzen 5 1600 cause why the hell not)
Fans- 6 120mm (air goes in the front and out the back and top)

Is your card by chance a MSI Armor variant?