• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU turns off under any stress

CuelmsiV

Hello as said in title my gpu turns off under any sort of stress. When playing i can turn game on for like 2 min and then screen turn black and sound stop playing, but PC stays on. I tried running furmark to test it but right after it started the thing happend again, everything went black. I looked at the events log but did not find anything with any clue what might be happening. It started happening randomly, nothing was changed nothing was added. Neither my GPU or CPU are overclocked. Is there anything i can do to try and fix it?

My specs:
GPU - Radeon R9 390
CPU - intel core i5 4690k
Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate
PSU - Silentiumpc Vero M1 600W

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
What brand psu, that's a power hungry gpu and I wouldn't recommend a cheap /generic power supply, the fact you haven't listed the brand and only said its 600w leads me to think that's the case...

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Whilst definitely not up there with better power supplies it should be fine for your system, though I still suspect that to be the culprit and it could well have just given up the ghost, is it possible for you to test another psu?

CuelmsiV

Unfortunately no, i would have to buy a new one then. So this may not be the GPU after all but just that it isnt getting enough power from PSU? I mean PC is still working same goes for GPU, just under some stress it just turns off.

System Name PowerSpec 1720 (Clevo PB70EF-G)
Processor i7-8750H (UV)
Motherboard PB70EF-G
Cooling SYY 157
Memory 32GB 3000MHz 15-18-18-36 1T (OC)
Video Card(s) 115W RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC/UV)
Storage 500GB WD Black SN700 NVME, 1TB Samsung 980
Display(s) 144Hz G-Sync 17.3" IPS
Case PowerSpec
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Pro-Gaming X
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Redragon K556/DITI K585
Software M$ Windows 10 Pro, Throttle Stop 9.5, MSi Afterburner, ParkControl
Is it strictly GPU load that shuts the system off, or is it also CPU load?

Run a CPU benchmark of some kind (TS Bench, Cinebench, Prime95, etc) and note the maximum wattage used.

Then run a GPU stress test and see if it will display wattage before it crashes.

I'd be interested to see which test crashes it and at what reported wattage.

You can also try removing the GPU entirely and running on your iGPU HD4600 graphics and run the same tests. CPU only bench, GPU only bench, and see if you have the same behaviour.

I am betting it is PSU related but it would be silly to replace it without some investigation.

Hello as said in title my gpu turns off under any sort of stress. When playing i can turn game on for like 2 min and then screen turn black and sound stop playing, but PC stays on. I tried running furmark to test it but right after it started the thing happend again, everything went black. I looked at the events log but did not find anything with any clue what might be happening. It started happening randomly, nothing was changed nothing was added. Neither my GPU or CPU are overclocked. Is there anything i can do to try and fix it?

My specs:
GPU - Radeon R9 390
CPU - intel core i5 4690k
Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate
PSU - Silentiumpc Vero M1 600W
I just fixed a problem like this by using a different pair of cables for the GPU. Try unplugging yours and then swapping them for another pair. Or if you don't have one swap the one that is in the 6p to th 8p and vice versa. And check that they are properly plugged in the PSU and the GPU.

CuelmsiV

Is it strictly GPU load that shuts the system off, or is it also CPU load?

Run a CPU benchmark of some kind (TS Bench, Cinebench, Prime95, etc) and note the maximum wattage used.

Then run a GPU stress test and see if it will display wattage before it crashes.

I'd be interested to see which test crashes it and at what reported wattage.

You can also try removing the GPU entirely and running on your iGPU HD4600 graphics and run the same tests. CPU only bench, GPU only bench, and see if you have the same behaviour.

I am betting it is PSU related but it would be silly to replace it without some investigation.
I stress tested CPU and it said 60,8 W at max, i didnt manage to stress test the GPU because it almost instantly turned off. I managed to find another PSU which is 580W and will try it.

Unfortunately the PSU i planned to use does not have enough power cables to power my PC and GPU. Strangely enough when not doing much on my pc like playing with lowest setting possible the GPU does not turn off. I will try to test my GPU on my friend's place on monday and will give an update then.

I just fixed a problem like this by using a different pair of cables for the GPU. Try unplugging yours and then swapping them for another pair. Or if you don't have one swap the one that is in the 6p to th 8p and vice versa. And check that they are properly plugged in the PSU and the GPU.
I tried that, but sadly did not work for me. I just switched the pins though because i don not have spare cord.