• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Grab the Stunning "Attic" NVIDIA RTX + DLSS Unreal Engine Interactive Demo, Works on even AMD

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
Besides the whining about RTX, this looks like a good alternative for testing overclocks besides using Unigine Heaven. I will probably use it for that from now on.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Gave it a go at 3440x1440 on an RTX3080, looks really nice, very natural, cozy and dynamic. DLSS at this resolution works a charm too.

Ray tracing just sucks, not sure why they insist on using this garbage tech. Beam tracing is the future and doesn't have the problems with noise.
Rays are artificial constructs, they contain no physics at all, so everthing you see like colour and refraction etc is a hack. Beams are actual solutions of a simplified Maxwell equation and thus contain all the physics you require. Things like refraction, diffraction, colour etc are all inherent properties of the beam. Alos rather than needing hundreds of millions of rays to build up a scene with low noise, you only need a few hundred beams. I know this for a fact. because I worked for a large camera company on a beam tracing program and it was vastly better than Ray tracing. You can get the actual colour of objects by just supplying the correct refractive index, you get the same resolution from as little as 200 beams, all the physics falls out naturally, no hacks no fudges. You don't have to solve the Helmholtz equation on the fly, you just need to beams that are valid solutions of this equation as your input. You could design your hardware to have improved fp32 and it would be no more taxing than for RT. If you think this is just abstract, there are commercial beam tracing programs for lens design like Code V and beam tracing is used extensively in radar and underwater acoustics.

Brain dead to still be using RT in an era of such powerful hardware.

I'd highly disagree, especially since 240 Hz is moving up to 1440p and 360 Hz up to 1080p. If Cyberpunk 2077 is an indication of how demanding upcoming titles will be, you don't need to come up with ways to spend a ton of processing power. Devs are more than capable of using what they are given.

Noting the performance impact is an important point to make. Complaining about others pointing that fact out is not. IMO RTX isn't really worth it until you start getting movie like quality. RTX shadows are really really not worth the performance impact and their visual benefit is very subjective. It's not a definite improvement. RTX reflections do look nice but unfortunately for them, recent updates to game engines have made those exact effects possible via rasterization just as dynamic. There's a massive gap between where we are now and where RT performance needs to be in order to get the quality jump people expect when you imply ray tracing. At 30% a generation, you are looking a decades before we get full modern RT games. Even full RT minecraft has to use a fraction of the default render distance to get reasonable performance.
On the first point, I do want to point out that most people won't bother to run a game like CyberPunk at 240 or 360 Hz because it doesn't matter to them. These are usually used by competitive gamers for the minute advantage they can get. But I agree that game developers will start pushing the envelop when it comes to utilising the hardware available.

RTX is a nice to have feature, but in my personal opinion, is not required for most. The fact is that most people won't realise the difference with or without RT if they start gaming at very high graphic quality without RT. Its only when you have a side by side comparison will most notice the difference. The performance delta with and without RT is too wide, and to be honest, I rather play with high frame rates and smooth frame pacing. While most people will fall back to DLSS, but they need to be aware as well that DLSS is not available in every game release now. In the past, any games with RT will automatically come with DLSS at launch because it will be an Nvidia exclusive title. Now that RT is not limited to Nvidia hardware, we've seen cases where DLSS may not be available on day 1 or for some time after the game is released. Existing hardware can barely keep up with the RT requirements without some sorts of upscaling technology, and I am really not expecting the hardware to catch up anytime soon.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
the bouncing light balls are cool , interactive is cool 1440 p was 30fps no rtx

im not sure what the idea is the room looks cheesy not stunning imo .Maybe rtx helps i wont know ...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Ray tracing just sucks, not sure why they insist on using this garbage tech. Beam tracing is the future and doesn't have the problems with noise.
Rays are artificial constructs, they contain no physics at all, so everthing you see like colour and refraction etc is a hack. Beams are actual solutions of a simplified Maxwell equation and thus contain all the physics you require. Things like refraction, diffraction, colour etc are all inherent properties of the beam. Alos rather than needing hundreds of millions of rays to build up a scene with low noise, you only need a few hundred beams. I know this for a fact. because I worked for a large camera company on a beam tracing program and it was vastly better than Ray tracing. You can get the actual colour of objects by just supplying the correct refractive index, you get the same resolution from as little as 200 beams, all the physics falls out naturally, no hacks no fudges. You don't have to solve the Helmholtz equation on the fly, you just need to beams that are valid solutions of this equation as your input. You could design your hardware to have improved fp32 and it would be no more taxing than for RT. If you think this is just abstract, there are commercial beam tracing programs for lens design like Code V and beam tracing is used extensively in radar and underwater acoustics.

Interesting. Are there any demos or comparison apps ?

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Ran it on my R9 280. While lots of features clearly don't work on this card, it still ran at around 24 FPS with everything on at 1080p.

Also, the mirrors looked like crap because of the reflections only being screen-space.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
On the first point, I do want to point out that most people won't bother to run a game like CyberPunk at 240 or 360 Hz because it doesn't matter to them. These are usually used by competitive gamers for the minute advantage they can get. But I agree that game developers will start pushing the envelop when it comes to utilising the hardware available.

RTX is a nice to have feature, but in my personal opinion, is not required for most. The fact is that most people won't realise the difference with or without RT if they start gaming at very high graphic quality without RT. Its only when you have a side by side comparison will most notice the difference. The performance delta with and without RT is too wide, and to be honest, I rather play with high frame rates and smooth frame pacing. While most people will fall back to DLSS, but they need to be aware as well that DLSS is not available in every game release now. In the past, any games with RT will automatically come with DLSS at launch because it will be an Nvidia exclusive title. Now that RT is not limited to Nvidia hardware, we've seen cases where DLSS may not be available on day 1 or for some time after the game is released. Existing hardware can barely keep up with the RT requirements without some sorts of upscaling technology, and I am really not expecting the hardware to catch up anytime soon.

You are conflating two points I was making. First, the fact that higher refresh rates are available at high resolutions and second that game requirements are increasing.

Those are separate, not combined as indicated.

That's funny. This is more what I expect unreal engine to look like. Not those fancy tech demos from the past. Looks like a classic unreal engine game. Aptly named engine

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X w/ EK block
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 ACE
Cooling Custom liquid loop
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio w/ EK block
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG35VQ
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D1 DAC, A5+ speakers, S8 subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
Fun demo to mess around with. I liked being able to adjust the time of day and play with the different "guns" and such.

Looked awful when I tried to run it at 3440x1440 with DLSS, for whatever reason. Turning that off looked great. Switching to windowed 16:9 1440p fixed DLSS. Weird.

Running with a 3700X and a 2080 Ti, so not the latest and greatest tech. Still got 60-72 FPS with all the toggles on.

Certainly not the most impressive RTX showcase I've seen, though. So far that is still Control.

System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Motherboard MSI X399 SLI PLUS ATX
Cooling Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
Case Asus TUF Gaming GT501 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 1200 cosair plat
just watch end game.
gold standard for what is global illumination

Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7
Two types of comments here.

1. DLSS / RT sucks. (oh and btw, I have a potato PC)
2. Good showcase of the new technologies and what's about to come in the future. (oh and btw, I have 2070 or newer GPU)

Well then if it is computationally far less expensive, then join the nvidia developer forum and tell devs how it's supposed to be done. Or AMD.... whomever.

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
I guess they allowed AMD to get in on it so that they have more ammo to dunk on them with --- Because its no secret that AMDs current cards dont handle RTX/DLSS very well.
Eh, aren't RTX/DLSS an nVidia thing or am I wrong?:p

Just funning with ya, I think I know what you mean, I'm just hoping that FidelityFX Super Resolution would, at the very least, improve gaming with RT enabled to a more comfortable level.

System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Motherboard MSI X399 SLI PLUS ATX
Cooling Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
Case Asus TUF Gaming GT501 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 1200 cosair plat
Eh, aren't RTX/DLSS an nVidia thing or am I wrong?:p

Just funning with ya, I think I know what you mean, I'm just hoping that FidelityFX Super Resolution would, at the very least, improve gaming with RT enabled to a more comfortable level.
its a team green term for ray tracing.

gedster

hmm.....did anyone try this demo at 2160p??
it looks fine to me.
I ran RTX_Showcase-Win64-Shipping.exe from the RTX Technology Showcase/Binaries/Win64 folder.

this offers 2160p option.....

hmm.....did anyone try this demo at 2160p??
it looks fine to me.
I ran RTX_Showcase-Win64-Shipping.exe from the RTX Technology Showcase/Binaries/Win64 folder.

this offers 2160p option.....
It offers nothing above the monitor's native resolution, which for me is 1440. What got me moist for a few minutes was finding VR controller bindings in one of the subfolders. However, I now think they're just leftovers from the Unreal 4 engine dev tools. Even if the demo had VR capability, it would not look as amazing as the VR demo in the Superposition benchmark ( which has no RT ). The guy who made it is clearly extremely talented.

For this demo I was interested in how a 3080 & a 1080 Ti would handle it. Settings default, full screen, RTX label and side panel hidden (Using MSI Afterburner for the FPS counter ), not moving from initial location, day/night slider centred.
1440: RT on 99-100 fps
1440: DLSS off 44
1440: RT off 86 <--- Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!!!!
1080: RT on 114-115 fps
1080: DLSS off 93
1080: RT off 139-141

For a 1080 Ti with an FHD monitor attached.
1080: RT on 9 fps
1080: RT off 75-76 fps

Last edited: