• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphic Card Nvidia GTX 650 ti boost stuck at low clock speed (p-state 8)

Raunak Singh

Hello,

My games used to run fine earlier for eg. i used to play dota 2 on highest settings and used to get 60+fps. One day i woke up and started playing dota 2 and was only getting 15-20fps. After some troubleshooting i realized that my graphic card was stuck at p-state 8.
Here are my specs -
AMD 3.5 AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300
Nvidia gtx 650 ti boost 2gb
MOtherboard-Asus m5a97 LE
PSU - Corsair vs550w.

Here are the readings i get from gpu shark ---
GPU TEMP: 38c
Fan speed - 30%/1200rpm

-Current Clock speeds:
-Core: 324.0MHz
-Mem: 324.0MHz
-VDDC: 0.850V

-GPU base clock speed: 993.0MHz
-GPU Boost clock speed : 1058.0MHz

-GPU power:
- Current Power: 131.2% TDP ( this value keeps fluctuating . max value it reaches is 136%. the frequency of change is around 3 secs i mean value goes from 131 to 136 and then returns to 131 in almost 3 secs . )

-GPU usage:
- GPU: 0.0%(this value keeps changing and max value it reaches is 4%) , max:68%

-Limiting policies[NVIDIA]:
- GPU power limit reached

***********************************************************************************
**Things i have already tried to fix this problem : -

1)restarting pc doesnt help. Exception: one day i woke up and found out the problem had been fixed ,there was no gpu power limit reached and i was getting 60+fps on dota 2.But then next day again i switched on my pc i had the same problem .

2) Changed Power management mode in NVIDIA Control Panel from adaptive to prefer maximum performance. No help .

3)Unplugged graphic card and replugged.No help.

4)Forced max performance level using Nvidia powermizer manager . I do this with nvidia inspector already opened and notice that pstate changes from 8 to 0 and in around 2 secs goes back to 8. No help.

5)Used Display driver uninstaller and did a clean installation of the latest nvidia drivers. Did not help . So again i used DDU and installed old drivers from the DVD which was in the graphic card box.Did not help.
***********************************************************************************

Should i flash bios like in this thread -
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...vidia-gpu-with-high-power-tdp-on-idle.223300/
or do i have any other problem?

Any help will be appreciated i hope its not a hardware issue ;( ;(
Thanks.