• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphics Card with UEFI only BIOS and system motherboard non-UEFI will not POST

richardcore

True, to some point.
But remember, boards are old. They are designey to work with gpus that are manufactured the same year and older gpus, not newer.
Check compatibility for gpus on oldet boards like mine, there are no R9s or RXs GPUS on that list.

I bought a brand new RX 470 which posts in about every elder motherboard I have it in here. I am guessing when they started UEFI BIOS for GPUs back in 2013, they didnt care about backwards compatibility, which is funny, because it would make a lot more sense to not have compatibility today, since those boards were not THAT old back when this card was released. I'm really tired at this point of going back and forth and nearly giving up putting this card on one of those boards, but I still have other 3 motherboards to flash. I wanted to pair with a 2nd gen intel, but at this point I think its more likely an aftermarket ASUS board boot it rather than those brazilian BIOS brands cheap boards for 1155 that I have. Darn... I guess I have to get back to work and flash those damn things.

richardcore

UPDATE! So here's a freaking a freaking awkward update. I left the 770 on the Lenovo board and turned it on and left it on with no video for a while still on. It beeps once, takes some time, beeps again, takes sometime and after like maybe 5 minutes it does a beep followed by a longer beep and it finally does gives me SOME video but it's stuck at a blinking DOS style cursor and no keys pushed do anything, I can't get to BIOS, nothing at all. The cursor just stays blinking forever. At least it did give me SOME video, but I still can't go to BIOS. Maybe if I look further up there I can find a setting to post this damn thing. The 3 paused beeps must mean its trying different modes or something.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
That's exactly what I am doing, I got a test bench and most of the boards are out of the case in the exact scenario you describe. It's weird, it looks pretty effin inserted, it clicks and I dont see anything out of it. The board is a pain in the ass, that's true, it fights tight everywhere and to pull it off i use a think small flathead screwdriver to press that lock. I can assure you though, that it is fully inserted. I don't know why this freaking card is so picky. I even forced UEFI on the BIOS itself but the damn thing won't give any video. I am thinking of flashing the card BIOS. Do you think it's a bad idea? It seems there is a slightly newer bios for it on the archives.

One last thing to try, move the card down a slot, i presume next full x16 slot.

clean the slots out of any dust.

Did you say that 770 board you have works in boards newer than 1155, what I am asking is that 770 Brand new or did you buy it used?

richardcore

One last thing to try, move the card down a slot, i presume next full x16 slot.

clean the slots out of any dust.

Did you say that 770 board you have works in boards newer than 1155, what I am asking is that 770 Brand new or did you buy it used?

It's a micro atx board. There is no next pcie slot. Dust is not a problem because other cards work in it, including a same brand Zotac GTX 760.

I bought it used. It works on another 1155 board, but it's from a later system that came with a 3470 CPU in a HP computer. The Lenovo came with an i5 2400 and looks older (although the BIOS is 2014 now after update).

The good news though is that the flash on the 1156 ASUS Board made the card work there! Yahoo! So now I have 3 boards that won't work with the 770 and not 4. I'll try flashing the Itautec board next.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Time to get a card that works for them and call it a day.

richardcore

Time to get a card that works for them and call it a day.

Yeap. Thanks for all your assistance! I'm really bummed at the Lenovo board. Darn thing with UEFI support and 2014 bios not booting the card. But then again it's a crappy chipset q67. Guess I'll be more careful buying these cheap motherboards/systems next time, few bucks may be able to make the difference.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeap. Thanks for all your assistance! I'm really bummed at the Lenovo board. Darn thing with UEFI support and 2014 bios not booting the card. But then again it's a crappy chipset q67. Guess I'll be more careful buying these cheap motherboards/systems next time, few bucks may be able to make the difference.

Well that's what happens with OEM machines, they are treated like laptops- miniscule support.
Well I had learned on a rig recently a xfx r7 250X would not post on a K8T890 motherboard K8V-XE Asus, even though XFXSupport said it is compatible with K8T chipsets, but check with board maker, board maker said there was no guarantee, well i got a 6450 (7400 series) and it posts right up. The r7 250X worked in my rig.