• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gtx 980 reference model thermal pads thickness required?

hi there, im wondering if anyone knows which are the requirements of thickness for thermal pads for the gtx 980 reference model.
im thinking of changing the ones that comes from default eventually just to keep the gpu alive and in good conditions considering the current gpu prices it would be the best i would say.

1632176558260.png

1632176630425.png

found these at my local store, not sure if these are okay for it?

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
0.5mm and 1.5mm based on: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109869222.pdf
Which is EK's guide on mounting their water blocks for a reference designed GTX 980 which also include information about thermal pad, thickness and dimensions.
If that 1.5mm one is required or not for the original cooler, I am unsure. But 0.5mm seems to be the way to go. You can always stack a couple of them as well.

ah thats very cool and helpful, so i could just get the 0.5mm and that would be just fine then, and could also stack to make 1.5, correct? cause i already searched in other stores and they only have 0.5mm

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage yes
VR HMD Oculus CV1
ah thats very cool and helpful, so i could just get the 0.5mm and that would be just fine then, and could also stack to make 1.5, correct? cause i already searched in other stores and they only have 0.5mm
Use the left side to pick your card of choice and find their products, which in turn have installation guides linked to them. Quite handy for detailed information and nice that they still keep them around!

Yes, you can stack 3 of them to make one 1.5mm pad. Of course it is not the most optimal solution as it does have some downsides. But eh, works well enough when you can't find exact replacements or dont want to buy another sheet for just one small square. be careful not to get any air trapped when doing that though.
I have seen it done several times over the years from manufacturers themselves.

Use the left side to pick your card of choice and find their products, which in turn have installation guides linked to them. Quite handy for detailed information and nice that they still keep them around!

Yes, you can stack 3 of them to make one 1.5mm pad. Of course it is not the most optimal solution as it does have some downsides. But eh, works well enough when you can't find exact replacements or dont want to buy another sheet for just one small square. be careful not to get any air trapped when doing that though.
I have seen it done several times over the years from manufacturers themselves.
was just reading this part.
1632182218547.png

is it nescesary to apply a bit of thermal paste on the chips? or can i just put the thermal pad and be done with it?
also you mentioned air trapped on the pad, im guessing that could happen when stacking them.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage yes
VR HMD Oculus CV1
was just reading this part.
View attachment 217652
is it nescesary to apply a bit of thermal paste on the chips? or can i just put the thermal pad and be done with it?
also you mentioned air trapped on the pad, im guessing that could happen when stacking them.
Necessary? Not really. I would wager most do not put any thermal paste between chip and pads. The reason EK recommends it is most likely for extra reassurance on their side, assuring a decent mating above all else and that they dont slide around when mounting. It does make a bit of a mess when, if, one has to remove it all though.