• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HELP] Is my X800GT Dead?

CrAsHeR

Hi m8s..i'm in a really bad situation :shadedshu
I've bought a Powercolor X800GT 256GDDR3 from ebay, at the price of 135€ incl. shipping 1 month ago..
I was using it from 2 weeks, and it worked fine! I did 5139Points @ 3dMark2005 @ 580/570
I modified the original bios (which saying the card had R423)with those frequency for daily use..and it worked great! Temp Were Ok!
I also removed the cooler, and after cleaned all the area from thermal paste, i saw that the core was the R480! So i flashed the bios of the same powercolor, with 2.0ns, for R480! It still worked fine..and i guarantee another 200 Points in 3dmark 2005!
But..After a night, i left the pc leeching from p2p, when i powered up the monitor, it remained BLACK! So i thought that the pc has freezed..so i resetted it, And when the Initial Screen Of my Asus A8n-Sli was show, it has got some scratches, arctifact, and red lines trough the entire monitor! So i thought, the new bios and Ocked' frequency were too high..
As the Text in Dos mode was so viewable, i flashed back my card with the original bios @ original frequency.
I used flashrom.exe -f -p 0 oldbios.good
After the flash, i restarted the pc..But nothing changed!
I also tryied to leech the original Powercolor Bios for R423..but nothing changed again!
The card is still in warranty..but for european customers i think it must be shipped to China..and it would be too expensive! Any Idea which i can do to get the card back? :'(
Please help me!!! Now i'm using a PCI card @ 800x600 :(

P.S. the original bios card recognized the core as R423..Instead of that, the core behind the cooler was a R480!

HELP ME PLEASE!

p0lly

Processor 3200+ Venice
Motherboard DFI NF4 Ultra - 704-2BTA
Memory OCZ VX DDR500
Video Card(s) GTO2
Storage Maxtor DM10
Audio Device(s) X-Fi
Power Supply 450w
TRY THIS!

I'm not sure what happened to your card but I can suggest one course of action. Using "atiflash" or "flashrom" will preserve SOME of the settings from a prior flash. There is a command that you can enter to stop the preservation, but I suggest something else. Use the "MODDIFED FLASHROM" that W1zzard altered. It is the same as "flashrom" but it does not preserve ANY of the old settings. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/100

at the bottom of the page in the "Performing the Mod" section.

NEXT!!!

You want to flash the "EMPTY.BIN" (found at the very bottom of the linked page above) file to your video card before you flash your original BIOS.

DO NOT REBOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After the "empty.bin" flash, your EEPROM will have no programming in it. You will now flash the original BIOS to your card. These steps all happen one after another with NO REBOOTING in between!!!

Once you have flash the original BIOS, reboot and see what happens. NOTE: Downloading the BIOS for the EXACT CARD you have is NOT the same as your original BIOS!!! The downloaded bios may enable or disable a pipe quad that is defective on your card.

P.

CrAsHeR

Hi friend...I already did exactly what u wrote! Nothing has Changed!
Does anyone got another idea?

p.S. How Powercolor's warranty works for European Customer?