• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with new built computer

G

Greg1221

Hello everyone i am in a predicament here.
I had purchased the computer i discussed about in this thread, http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=93896

I had assembled the parts without problem until i had to install the fans, There were not enough ports on the mobo for the amount of fans that came with the case so i had to choose only 3 + cpu fan to have running, I spaced them out and chose the most important ones and then turned it on. I immediately noticed a problem while trying to install vista because the cd took about 3 minutes just to go from a single mouse pointer to the install menu and then took even longer to go from that to actually installing, just sitting there not moving. Eventually everything installed except now after installing drivers and such the computer randomly locks up after 10-15 minutes of usage and wont let me move the mouse ect making me turn it off and back on. Are there any ideas as to what the problem here is?

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
Hello everyone i am in a predicament here.
I had purchased the computer i discussed about in this thread, http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=93896

I had assembled the parts without problem until i had to install the fans, There were not enough ports on the mobo for the amount of fans that came with the case so i had to choose only 3 + cpu fan to have running, I spaced them out and chose the most important ones and then turned it on. I immediately noticed a problem while trying to install vista because the cd took about 3 minutes just to go from a single mouse pointer to the install menu and then took even longer to go from that to actually installing, just sitting there not moving. Eventually everything installed except now after installing drivers and such the computer randomly locks up after 10-15 minutes of usage and wont let me move the mouse ect making me turn it off and back on. Are there any ideas as to what the problem here is?

Because your installed, unplug the cd drive and see if that does it. It could be conflicting. If this is the case, you may need to update the firmware of the cd drive.

G

Greg1221

Thanks dude i should probably also mention that dvd decrypter does not see the dvd drive and that it lists a floppy drive i dont have under my computer also the hard drive which is plugged in through sata is into the Asus Xpress sata port 0 as opposed to the normal sata port ill try swittching that into a normal sata port too

G

Greg1221

That completely solved my problem for about a week but now theres another problem =(
I let norton 360 do its live update and came back to see my computer unresponsive, i rebooted and the computer continues to freeze in the same way, the cd rom drive is completely unplugged and i just uninstalled norton but no luck, i ran CHKDSK inside windows and it said everything was fine and im clueless right now

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
That completely solved my problem for about a week but now theres another problem =(
I let norton 360 do its live update and came back to see my computer unresponsive, i rebooted and the computer continues to freeze in the same way, the cd rom drive is completely unplugged and i just uninstalled norton but no luck, i ran CHKDSK inside windows and it said everything was fine and im clueless right now

Could be an number of issues...

Driver conflicts between Vista and Norton 360 - something didn't completely uninstall and still causing you problems.

Faulty PSU - it could be having problems supplying enough power to your system

Have you checked your temps? CPU, MB, GPU?

Faulty RAM - this is one of the easier things to test. Remove all your RAM and try one stick at a time, if you find a stick that doesn't allow your computer to boot, then that stick is bad.

I suppose if all else fails, then you can do a reformat and fresh install of Vista.