• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hexus.net and Bit-Tech.net Bid Farewell, Former Staff Tease New Online Venture

davido_labido

EKWB Rep
System Name my daily driver
Processor 5960x
Motherboard EVGA X99 Classified
Cooling EKWB
Memory 32gb HyperX Predator
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080
Storage 2 x 960 gb HyperX Savage + 1 480 gb hyperx predator
Display(s) ASUS swift + LG 24GM77-B
Case In Win 909
Audio Device(s) Schiit modi + Vali (amp and dac
Power Supply EVGA 1300w
Mouse multiple
Keyboard planck
Software Win 10
Case in point. Expect more responses like this as we transition away from advertising-centric sites to more unbiased ones.

For those younger members who don't understand, Techpowerup.com is primarily an AMD/Nvidia advertising site.

..and already under new unbiased management. Expect unbiased changes.
What? The guys here are rather unbias, to the point where it can be frustrating, yet I welcome it. Without unbiased media, we won't see any issues before products are released. We are far happier for issues to be bought up with media samples as we usually have only made a single batch by then and we can rectify issues. If they are bias and don't tell us anything other than what we want to hear, we just get shafted when customers get the product.

What?

I have been dealing with computers as an enthusiast since the late 90's. I would say with all my experience, TPU has been the least biased. Yeah, maybe the press release posts are nothing but adverts, but that is how they make money to stay afloat. Their testing methodology is still the best.

Youtubers on the other hand are abysmal for most part. There are good tubers around, but on average they are just giant advert videos.
Can confirm, press releases just go to an inbox then basically get copied/pasted here. We send them the PR, we don't pay for it, it keeps you guys in the know and gives us a platform to do so. Many websites do the same as it is nice filler content and keeps people clicking. It is a win/win and we appreciate it!

Unbiased and opinion reviews are different then paid content.

Remember this. Lots of tech sites are strictly pay for a good review. It is just how it is. Anyone who reads content here regularly will know this isn't a issue at TPU.

The amount of times I reviewed something that clearly has flaws, only to find a perfect score from someone else makes me question the legitimacy of some sites. It's okay to have a opinion and be bias. I welcome those who have a different view as it broadens my own. But being paid for a good review is not okay. We as a community have so little left of legitment tech sites.
Honestly, many tech sides don't allow for paid reviews - at all. Like, even if we want something reviewed quickly and we would like to pay to get it done (I must stress, not paying for a good review, but just to have a review done ASAP so we can get the product seen) the vast vast majority will turn it down and do it for free in the near future instead.

We might do something where we will pay for some kind of separate content, such as a giveaway or some advertising, and bundle the review in with that, but the content and the reviews are separate and on numerous occasions, we have had a review that isn't positive, alongside the paid content. Is it perfect? well, not to those who pay for it, but the integrety of many websites is worth more than the money we pay.

The people who usually give silly reviews saying it is perfect are usually unpaid, but want to continue relationships and think this is the way to do it. Or it's the first couple times they have earned money from a review.
I don't care if our reviews are not perfect, or even if we have a really negative one, as long as the conserns are genuine and the test scenarios are fair. A lot of reviewers (particularly ones that have had a little bit of success, but haven't quite mananged to figure out how to make it pay) seem to think that bias reviews will help them and I have called a couple of people out on them, especially when I see 'cons: NONE'. No product is perfect. I always tried to give at least 2 or 3 negatives to a product, even if they were just very small issues that had no real bearing on the quality or functionality.

I could rant about the industry for hours and hours, especially about how people seem to think, compared to what I have seen in my (almost) 10 years in the industry. Are there shady goings on? Oh, yes, 100%. Usually by the rather large names that don't care where $50,000 gets thrown.
There are many great websites and YouTube channels that do put in the work and do as much as they can to make sure they are non-bias. I know from working for TPU that here is one of them. If I ever had really negagtive or overly positive review, I would mention it to W1zzard or one of the team and they would deal with the fallout from it, or probe me to see if I have missed anything, just to make sure I wasn't missing something. As long as we were being honest, that's what mattered. I really do miss working for W1zzard, he was a very easy person to work for and the guys I have met from TPU have all had a similar mindset. I believe a bunch of others are similar though, it's just we only see the front end, rather than the big picture.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
There are many great websites and YouTube channels that do put in the work and do as much as they can to make sure they are non-bias. I know from working for TPU that here is one of them. If I ever had really negagtive or overly positive review, I would mention it to W1zzard or one of the team and they would deal with the fallout from it, or probe me to see if I have missed anything, just to make sure I wasn't missing something. As long as we were being honest, that's what mattered. I really do miss working for W1zzard, he was a very easy person to work for and the guys I have met from TPU have all had a similar mindset. I believe a bunch of others are similar though, it's just we only see the front end, rather than the big picture.
Now that you mentioned that, it reminded me of Hexus' good habit of letting vendors comment on reviews:
1635875019259.png

Of course you can post in the comment section but this is a nice gesture indicating that vendors' comments are welcome, and more visible too.

When TechReport ended its decline (started when Scott Wasson was given a job offer too good to refuse by AMD) I came to TPU
Hey, me too. Tech Report ... what a painful death. (But we still managed to have some fun during its last days.) It's far better to shut down the shop at moment's notice like Hexus has done.
I'm sure there are many more reasons that TPU will survive longer than its struggling peers
Yes I'm sure it will but ... so many reviews of keyboards and mice and earphones mean one thing: pieces of shiny new silicon that deserve any attention from reviewers are few and far apart these days. No offense to authors, they do what they can, and do it well.
but as a stark reminder to you all that even big sites can fall - please check you have whitelisted TPU on your adblocker.
I certainly do that - however, I turn on every privacy feature that's built into Firefox, and that's for all websites. Cookies are also deleted upon exit, which means every day. I have no idea if there are negative consequences for those sites.
Ad revenue isn't much but across thousands of daily readers it surely helps as the media industry shifts to YouTube.
One day we'll have a de-video-ing bot that transforms speech into text, extracts relevant still images from the video, edits the text to make it less obvious that it originates from spoken language, divides it up into chapters with titles, and violá, an article! It's just a dream right now but we have AI, don't we?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I certainly do that - however, I turn on every privacy feature that's built into Firefox, and that's for all websites. Cookies are also deleted upon exit, which means every day. I have no idea if there are negative consequences for those sites.
TPU is designed to work (but with some functionality lost) without cookies, maximum privacy settings, and Javascript disabled. Besides Google Analytics (in GDPR anonymize IP mode) we don't load any external tracking scripts, or track you in any other way. We also serve only in-house ads, from our own servers, no 3rd party ad networks

so many reviews of keyboards and mice and earphones mean one thing: pieces of shiny new silicon that deserve any attention from reviewers are few and far apart these days.
Considering I'm posting 2 or 3 reviews most days nowadays, these are on top of the usual review output

System Name IONE
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B550-A Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), CMK128GX4M4E3200C16
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Samsung 980 1TB NVMe (system), WD Black 1TB NVMe (temp), 16x Seagate IronWolf 10TB (RAID6 storage)
Display(s) Dell UP3017
Case Lian-Li PC-777B
Audio Device(s) Blue Sadie headphones
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech M510
Keyboard Keychron Q8, brass plate, Kailh Box Summer switches and PBT Cherry keycaps
Software Xubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores N/A
I have not visited either of those two sites for probably a decade now.

It is a shame to see the old sites die but we are in a changing world and more and more people prefer to see videos instead of reading (it must be hard or something?).

After [H]ard|OCP closed their doors I have used TPU for my daily news fix and toghether with servethehome it covers my IT needs.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yes I'm sure it will but ... so many reviews of keyboards and mice and earphones mean one thing: pieces of shiny new silicon that deserve any attention from reviewers are few and far apart these days. No offense to authors, they do what they can, and do it well.
That's because I am aiming to beat the record for most reviews in a calendar year! Case in point- one more published just recently :D

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
That's because I am aiming to beat the record for most reviews in a calendar year! Case in point- one more published just recently :D

congrats sir

@Darksaber

edit: all-time totals

I wonder who else has done more than 1000 reviews. Maybe Hilbert

TPU is designed to work (but with some functionality lost) without cookies, maximum privacy settings, and Javascript disabled. Besides Google Analytics (in GDPR anonymize IP mode) we don't load any external tracking scripts, or track you in any other way. We also serve only in-house ads, from our own servers, no 3rd party ad networks
And those of us who care about our digital security and privacy are grateful!

System Name PC-GX1
Processor i9 10900 non K (stock) TDP 65w
Motherboard asrock b560 steel legend | Realtek ALC897
Cooling cooler master hyper 2x12 LED turbo argb | 5x12cm fan rgb intake | 3x12cm fan rgb exhaust
Memory corsair vengeance LPX 2x32gb ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Gaming Z Trio LHR TDP 370w| 551.76 WHQL | MSI AB v4.65 | RTSS v7.35
Storage NVME 2+2TB gen3| SSD 4TB sata3 | 1+2TB 7200rpm sata3| 4+4+5TB USB3 (optional)
Display(s) AOC U34P2C (IPS panel, 3440x1440 75hz) + speaker 5W*2 | APC BX1100CI MS (660w)
Case lianli lancool 2 mesh RGB windows - white edition | 1x dvd-RW usb 3.0 (optional)
Audio Device(s) Nakamichi soundstation8w 2.1 100W RMS | Simbadda CST 9000N+ 2.1 352W RMS
Power Supply seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold - white edition 2021 | APC BX2200MI MS (1200w)
Mouse steelseries sensei ten | logitech g440
Keyboard steelseries apex 5 | steelseries QCK prism cloth XL | steelseries arctis 5
VR HMD -
Software dvd win 10 home 64bit oem + full update 22H2
Benchmark Scores -
today, its so sad to hearing some news like this..... i hope both of them will coming back online, again......they have much good review articles about all hardware PC.......

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
hexus.net will be missed. had great design et clear layout

been there for some review and was helpful

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
@VSG :D congrats on cracking the top score! I was completely unaware that I was on the top, but am happy mine stood for 14 years :toast:

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I remember when I found Bit-tech back around 2003-4 -ish, someone I was chatting with in Everquest 1 has told me about it, we were discussing case modding. There were some really fantastic builds posted there, and a lot of them. I learned about custom PC fabricators like MNPC.com, and there was one other person that stood out from, I think, Teexas that did custom plastic waterblocks. I participated, or tried to, in one was a design contest that used Sketchup, my first time using it and was dumbfounded, no idea how to start.

Sad to activity go the way of the dodo. I cant remember what name I used there, but I still get the email newsletter.

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210
are they selling any review kits?

that 2990WX would be a nice kit

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
When TechReport ended its decline (started when Scott Wasson was given a job offer too good to refuse by AMD) I came to TPU - mainly because I'd already been reading the site for years, but also because TPU is more than just news/forums - it has useful things that will hopefully ensure its survival:
  • GPU-Z is one of the most popular utilities out there, almost everyone dealing with graphics card tuning uses it and MSI afterburner.
  • TPU is also the #1 English-speaking GPU BIOS repository on the net. I don't think GPU BIOS flashing is going away any time soon.
  • It also has tier-1 contributors such as Aris, chief engineer at Cybenetics and 1usmus of Ryzen DRAM calculator fame. Even if they aren't exclusive to TPU it's great to see them so directly involved with the site.
I'm sure there are many more reasons that TPU will survive longer than its struggling peers but as a stark reminder to you all that even big sites can fall - please check you have whitelisted TPU on your adblocker. Ad revenue isn't much but across thousands of daily readers it surely helps as the media industry shifts to YouTube.
And now Scott's moved on to Intel!! All following the Raja.

car = biggest waste of money, i barely drive 2000 km a year, so no :)
yep, especially in northern Ontario Canada where the salt and salted sand roads disintegrate it in 10 years.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
yep, especially in northern Ontario Canada where the salt and salted sand roads disintegrate it in 10 years.

You are not the only ones with this cancer. It even spoils my boots, not mentioning the cars.