• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hi, I am seeking advice and/or constructive criticism on a build I am thinking of trying.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Processor Intel i9-13980HX
Memory 64 GB DDR5 @ 4800 mhz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 4090 Mobile
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
Display(s) 4K/144 Hz Mini-LED
Benchmark Scores 23,616 Timespy Graphics
alongside a 2tb sata SSD for some reason.

Sounds like a much better purchase than the SSD's you recommended.

970 Evo Plus? Sure, they're quality SSD's. They're also very overpriced SSD's.

They're like $428 each on Newegg. I can order a 2 TB SATA SSD for $200 off newegg. Samsung NVME M.2 SSD's are all super overpriced.

Want a good NVME M.2 SSD? Buy a Sabrent Rocket with Gen 4 PCIE, much faster than a 970 Evo Plus, and cheaper.

Last edited:

MiguelElToro

Sounds like a much better purchase than the SSD's you recommended.

970 Evo Plus? Sure, they're quality SSD's. They're also very overpriced SSD's.

They're like $428 each on Newegg. I can order a 2 TB SATA SSD for $200 off newegg. Samsung NVME M.2 SSD's are all super overpriced.

Want a good NVME M.2 SSD? Buy a Sabrent Rocket with Gen 4 PCIE, much faster than a 970 Evo Plus, and cheaper.
Thank you.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Everyone...It is apparent, based on all the wonderful feedback, that the trouble is not so much with the build as it is with me, and my lack of knowledge. I am going to go back, rethink some things and make sure I do right by this build. I'd be lying if I said fear a messing this up wasn't driving at least part of my actions. I got this budget, and my pockets are itchy. LOL, I have time, so I think I should take it.

Thank you all for your time, patients, and understand. Blessing to you all.

Yeah, if you're worried about the build and inexperienced, then you really do want to stick to slightly older, less cutting-edge platforms where more time has passed allowing most of the bugs to be ironed-out. If you do get stuck, there should be plenty of people who have had the same issue and therefore you're more likely to get useful results when running a web search for your problem.

There are lots of opinions here on what CPU you should get but that pair of videos @R0H1T posted does point towards Ryzen being the best fit for you. In my own experience, the PCIe 4.0 of an AMD X570 motherboard and the stability and maturity of that platform (about a year old at this point) should make it a no-brainer for a video editing box.

The only tricky point for you to worry about is what RAM will work at optimum speeds on a Ryzen board. I think if you're worried, dropping down to a 3200MHz kit from Patriot, or GSkill will pretty much guarantee that you can run four sticks at the XMP speeds for easy, trouble-free RAM timings. If you want the best speeds that Ryzen can offer, then there are many forums and reviewers that seem to agree on the GSkill Trident-Z 3600 C16 (Q-64GTZNC) kit as one runs at 3600MHz on Zen2 without any problems, and 3600MHz is the sweet spot if you have a 3700X or better.

You have a large budget, but I honestly don't believe that spending all of it will get you any further than a $2000 build would. The 3700X and 3800X are almost identical, and I'd actually suggest getting the 3800X just because that is cherry-picked silicon that should have the best memory controller outside of a 3950X and is perfectly adequate for your needs. You're not going to be pushing overclocks on your RAM (not a good idea for a production machine) but the higher-quality silicon should just minimise the chances of getting an unlucky sample that can't run your RAM at the default timings you want.

I have access to 16-core and 32-core threadrippers at work, as well as 3900X and 3950X Ryzens. I've said it already but I'll repeat it in more depth: Buying a more expensive CPU will not make a huge difference to Adobe Premiere, FL Studio, or gaming. The 2990WX render nodes I've built at work are barely half as fast again as my cheapo Ryzen 5 that cost me under £200, including VAT. That's 32 cores vs 6 cores, and $1800 vs $180. Save your money and buy something mainstream, easy to work with, and stable. I'd suggest the following and this is by no means authoritative or definitive, just what I would be buying if I put myself in your shoes:
  • Ryzen 7 3800X. Ryzen 9 3900X is a solid choice if you see yourself wanting to do some 3D rendering in the future, but otherwise won't help your current software much.
  • Popular, high-end X570 board like the Aorus Elite or Asus Croshair VIII. Technically MSI Tomahawk is superior but those two have better BIOSes in my opinion.
  • Any 1TB SSD for your OS, applications, games. This one can even be a cheaper PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD as long as it's a TLC model like the WD SN550 and not a QLC model like the Intel 660P or Crucial P1.
  • A fast NVMe drive for video projects. HP EX950 and Kingston KC2000 are both reviewed to have excellent sustained speeds ideal for large video files.
  • A 2060Super; It is the cheapest 8GB/CUDA/Turing NVEnc card and it happens to be fantastic for gaming too. Sure, you can spend more, but it won't help your non-gaming at all.

Last edited:
System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Jesus, some of you in here (not gonna mention any names) are probably just confusing the OP more than he probably already is, and that's not helping him to figure out what parts would be best FOR HIM. I'm going to say that again: FOR. HIM. So can ya'll just put your damn fanboyism aside and help the gentleman?

OP, I own a 10700K + Z490 (and my BIOS run just fine!) but I'm not going to recommend Intel just because I own one. I do think the 3900X or 3950X on the AMD side of things would be a good fit for your main use case. It can game just fine as well, too. Just don't expect it to top Intel's 10900K in a pure gaming scenario. But given your main use for the build, I gather you could care less about pure gaming performance and care more about work performance, which the 3900X and 3950X handle like a champ.

Also, I use the Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT in my own rig (got to post my updated system specs now that my 1660 Super arrived :D ) and it's a great AIO. It's actually my first-ever liquid cooling system. Had been using air coolers and finally decided to try an AIO for this 10700K. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

MiguelElToro

Yeah, if you're worried about the build and inexperienced, then you really do want to stick to slightly older, less cutting-edge platforms where more time has passed allowing most of the bugs to be ironed-out. If you do get stuck, there should be plenty of people who have had the same issue and therefore you're more likely to get useful results when running a web search for your problem.

There are lots of opinions here on what CPU you should get but that pair of videos @R0H1T posted does point towards Ryzen being the best fit for you. In my own experience, the PCIe 4.0 of an AMD X570 motherboard and the stability and maturity of that platform (about a year old at this point) should make it a no-brainer for a video editing box.

The only tricky point for you to worry about is what RAM will work at optimum speeds on a Ryzen board. I think if you're worried, dropping down to a 3200MHz kit from Patriot, or GSkill will pretty much guarantee that you can run four sticks at the XMP speeds for easy, trouble-free RAM timings. If you want the best speeds that Ryzen can offer, then there are many forums and reviewers that seem to agree on the GSkill Trident-Z 3600 C16 (Q-64GTZNC) kit as one runs at 3600MHz on Zen2 without any problems, and 3600MHz is the sweet spot if you have a 3700X or better.

You have a large budget, but I honestly don't believe that spending all of it will get you any further than a $2000 build would. The 3700X and 3800X are almost identical, and I'd actually suggest getting the 3800X just because that is cherry-picked silicon that should have the best memory controller outside of a 3950X and is perfectly adequate for your needs. You're not going to be pushing overclocks on your RAM (not a good idea for a production machine) but the higher-quality silicon should just minimise the chances of getting an unlucky sample that can't run your RAM at the default timings you want.

I have access to 16-core and 32-core threadrippers at work, as well as 3900X and 3950X Ryzens. I've said it already but I'll repeat it in more depth: Buying a more expensive CPU will not make a huge difference to Adobe Premiere, FL Studio, or gaming. The 2990WX render nodes I've built at work are barely half as fast again as my cheapo Ryzen 5 that cost me under £200, including VAT. That's 32 cores vs 6 cores, and $1800 vs $180. Save your money and buy something mainstream, easy to work with, and stable. I'd suggest the following and this is by no means authoritative or definitive, just what I would be buying if I put myself in your shoes:
  • Ryzen 7 3800X. Ryzen 9 3900X is a solid choice if you see yourself wanting to do some 3D rendering in the future, but otherwise won't help your current software much.
  • Popular, high-end X570 board like the Aorus Elite or Asus Croshair VIII. Technically MSI Tomahawk is superior but those two have better BIOSes in my opinion.
  • Any 1TB SSD for your OS, applications, games. This one can even be a cheaper PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD as long as it's a TLC model like the WD SN550 and not a QLC model like the Intel 660P or Crucial P1.
  • A fast NVMe drive for video projects. HP EX950 and Kingston KC2000 are both reviewed to have excellent sustained speeds ideal for large video files.
  • A 2060Super; It is the cheapest 8GB/CUDA/Turing NVEnc card and it happens to be fantastic for gaming too. Sure, you can spend more, but it won't help your non-gaming at all.
Thank you. I will look every part up. I appreciate it.

Jesus, some of you in here (not gonna mention any names) are probably just confusing the OP more than he probably already is, and that's not helping him to figure out what parts would be best FOR HIM. I'm going to say that again: FOR. HIM. So can ya'll just put your damn fanboyism aside and help the gentleman?

OP, I own a 10700K + Z490 (and my BIOS run just fine!) but I'm not going to recommend Intel just because I own one. I do think the 3900X or 3950X on the AMD side of things would be a good fit for your main use case. It can game just fine as well, too. Just don't expect it to top Intel's 10900K in a pure gaming scenario. But given your main use for the build, I gather you could care less about pure gaming performance and care more about work performance, which the 3900X and 3950X handle like a champ.

Also, I use the Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT in my own rig (got to post my updated system specs now that my 1660 Super arrived :D ) and it's a great AIO. It's actually my first-ever liquid cooling system. Had been using air coolers and finally decided to try an AIO for this 10700K. Couldn't be happier with it. :)
Most appreciated. Thank you for the info.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I briefly mentioned latency as an important factor in audio, so stop trying to make this an issue. Intel wins in single core on its i5 10600k, which beats the 3950x stock in any game without OC while costing a third of the price. 10900k is 400mhz faster out of the box than 10600k again without oc and is 2/3 the price of 3950x.

Who cares if zen2 has slightly higher ipc when Intel is almost a gigahertz faster.

1% lows on Intel that are higher than AMDs average lol.
View attachment 160019

Dude just stop finding Intel USPs on shallow water. There aren't any of note anymore. You're not doing yourself any favors in terms of credibility, wrong forum.

When it comes to audio processing on Windows the most important thing is getting ASIO4ALL or equipment with its own ASIO driver when it comes to your latency hit from connected gear. I run a DDJ-400 on a 3ms latency buffer and this is not a CPU limitation, but a Windows Audio 'in general being shit' situation. So please... stahp.

And when it comes to audio processing and production within the machine, any CPU will do just fine. You just need a fast one. Latency is a non issue, it relates only to buffer size.

__

As for potential builds. You have a big budget and wishlist, mind, I did not read 3 pages of it...
Both Intel and AMD have suitable choices. I would not directly opt for HEDT platforms because of general support level on what is predominantly 'consumer level' applications. FL Studio and all that semi pro stuff has great support on MSDT and also a big market on it. This indicates the applications work just fine on that level of performance. As for music production... I haven't managed to bring a 6c12t 8700K on its knees using a heavily loaded up Reason project. Audio processing on todays' CPUs is pretty light, for a half decent desktop machine.

Within MSDT... I'd opt for a non-K Intel 10th gen OR Ryzen 7~9 3xxx. I'd also opt for some order of a 8c16t CPU. That is your base, I'd put a build in both camps side by side and see where the best feature set is at for you in budget. You can lower your budget to 2000-2500 for the case and contents, separate that from the monitor and everything else so its clear what you're comparing.

You have a pretty expansive wishlist so I'd really go over the details of that comparison and see what serves you best. I haven't got time to put together parts lists, but I've seen a few that fit the bill already. I wouldn't focus too much on the CPU part, I think the bigger value for you will be in how you set up storage and back up, I'd definitely put some budget into a solid storage solution.

Last edited:
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Hi all. Could I get someone to look over my parts list and tell me if 1, it fits my needs? 2. Can I bring the cost down without sacrificing longevity, speed, or power? 3. Am I being too ambitious? I need something I can trust and count on, and my current PC is not it. I’m not too computer build savvy, so I did a “best of” search for the parts and researched from there, based on my needs and budget. There is so much out there now that it all sounds the same.

I am not a gamer, but I would love to have the option to do so if I choose. I do music production. FL Studios mostly. I run a program in the background called display fusion that is on 24/7 and drains on my current pc to the point my fans sound like a truck. I also do a lot of writing, uploading, downloading, movie watching, and music streaming. I love to multitask.

I have 3 32in., and 1 75in flat-screen TVs, studio monitor speakers, desktop speakers, and 3 8tb external hard drives connected to my current pc.

Budget $5000.

Here is the parts list…

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 500D RGB SE Mid-Tower Case.
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Gaming Motherboard.
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X.
Corsair ICUE H150i PRO RGB XT liquid Cooler.
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200 Memory.
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal SSD.
Samsung 860 Pro 2TB 2.5 in. SSD.
CORSAIR HX1000i, 1000-Watt, 80+ Platinum, Fully Modular, Digital Power Supply.
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Video Card.
ASUS Sound Card Essence STX II.
2 Corsair QL Series, 140mm, and 3 120mm RGB LED Fans.
Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard, MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad, Dark Core RGB Pro Mouse.

Thanks, in advance.

If you have the budget there is nothing wrong with being ambitious but as another poster mentioned a $2000-ish build may likely get you there with satisfaction.

Having said that however
- if you have the budget,
- and you plan on keeping your PC for 5 years,
- and you're going to get a motherboard that is over $350 (with a good VRM),
- and any type of water-cooling (AIO or custom loop),
- and with the maturity of the AM4 platform as it is now,
might as well stick a 3900x/3950x in it and be done (just my personal opinion).

However if you can wait it out for Zen3 to arrive you will have more, and perhaps much better performance choices.

With so many Corsair fans you might want to get at least one Commander Pro.

Perhaps look at Lian Li Dynamic XL case instead with that budget and number of fans.

RAM tends to have some issues on Ryzen (Corsair maybe the most problematic) so that might be hit and miss. With your budget go DDR4-3600. I do admit Corsair does have nice RGB ram aesthetic though.

If you don't want the headaches, issues, and time spent, of building your own PC find a good quality vendor that offers a variety of prebuilt with hardware choices. Not just a part picker vendor but one that integrates and tests their configurations to get some piece of mind, good hardware, and hopefully a decent warranty service.

(One way to bring your cost down is to avoid the RGB models of everything.)

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't know where you guys are getting these DPC latency numbers from. It's a VERY well known issue that anything skylake or later on intel has DPC latency issues with audio production, ESPECIALLY when paired with an nvidia GPU. (Sounds like nonsense, I know, but it's true. Look at any audio recording forum.)

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Mouse Logitech M575

For my first AIO I was using the older model H100i RGB (non-XT) and I was pretty happy with it too. I would recommend it.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Well, you came to the wrong place to find out the best build for your primary use case of FL-Studio. Questionable why you're building this in a lightshow case with a 2080Ti too, except the obligatory "I want to game" and "I might do video editing".

In point of fact you can build a $1200 system that will be quite a bit faster in your primary use case of FL-Studio than this $5000 build you posted.

FL-Studio has a FAQ about this, link an excerpt below :

"Choose your own - Search for a CPU with the fastest single-core performance you can afford, in a package with 4 to 8 physical cores. Here's how we grade multi-core scores for CPUs with 8 or less cores - Weak: Less than 4,999. Medium: 5000 to 8,999. Strong: 9000 to 14,999. Very strong more than 15,000. For example: An 8 core CPU (14,400) with a single core score of 1800 is probably less well suited to music production than a 6 core CPU (12,000) with a single core score of 2600, since much of what happens with audio-processing can't be computed in parallel. Ideally, you need a CPU in the Strong or Very Strong category. "

The scores they are referring to are Passmark scores, and specifically single thread passmark scores, here :

It looks to me like Intel has the top 30 or so slots before AMD even shows its first place holder.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well, you came to the wrong place to find out the best build for your primary use case of FL-Studio. Questionable why you're building this in a lightshow case with a 2080Ti too, except the obligatory "I want to game" and "I might do video editing".

In point of fact you can build a $1200 system that will be quite a bit faster in your primary use case of FL-Studio than this $5000 build you posted.

"Choose your own - Search for a CPU with the fastest single-core performance you can afford, in a package with 4 to 8 physical cores. Here's how we grade multi-core scores for CPUs with 8 or less cores - Weak: Less than 4,999. Medium: 5000 to 8,999. Strong: 9000 to 14,999. Very strong more than 15,000. For example: An 8 core CPU (14,400) with a single core score of 1800 is probably less well suited to music production than a 6 core CPU (12,000) with a single core score of 2600, since much of what happens with audio-processing can't be computed in parallel. Ideally, you need a CPU in the Strong or Very Strong category. "

The scores they are referring to are Passmark scores, and specifically single thread passmark scores, here :

It looks to me like Intel has the top 30 or so slots before AMD even shows its first place holder.

Absolutely correct, but look at the margin on those points. 2700 or 2500 won't make or break your music production, if it did, FL was unusable on any gen prior to the current.

Let's keep sane. Any current gen CPU with 6c and a clock above 4 Ghz will get you there, and more is better but at that point you're also looking at other considerations like platform options, boards, storage, etc.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Absolutely correct, but look at the margin on those points. 2700 or 2500 won't make or break your music production, if it did, FL was unusable on any gen prior to the current.

Let's keep sane. Any current gen CPU with 6c and a clock above 4 Ghz will get you there, and more is better but at that point you're also looking at other considerations like platform options, boards, storage, etc.

Based on what little I read at that vendors site, FL-Studio can be bogged down depending on how much mixing you're doing. Even on new chips.

All I'm looking at was his 3 use cases :
FL-Studio #1
+
Video editing
Gaming

For 2 of those 3 use cases, Ryzen is demonstrably the wrong answer.

That case is also the wrong answer for the #1 use case. I would think someone making music would want a silent case like a be Quiet! type.

As far as what the future will bring to the two different platforms, neither you nor I know that.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Based on what little I read at that vendors site, FL-Studio can be bogged down depending on how much mixing you're doing. Even on new chips.

All I'm looking at was his 3 use cases :
FL-Studio #1
+
Video editing
Gaming

For 2 of those 3 use cases, Ryzen is demonstrably the wrong answer.

That case is also the wrong answer for the #1 use case. I would think someone making music would want a silent case like a be Quiet! type.

As far as what the future will bring to the two different platforms, neither you nor I know that.

Have you considered other applications (@ OP, in fact :)), or finding a workflow in FL that does NOT bog down the project? Surely it exists... I never liked FL much tbh. Because basically you're also saying that even a 10900K won't be enough :) Not disagreeing that certain software will run better on Intel and also not denying that it still has a ST crown, even if minor. But I question the net gain versus recent Ryzen chips. Even if you go by the passmark list up there, its nothing substantial unless you pick the absolute top model.

As for case... Fractal Define R#, tremendous sound dampening, can hold WC and expansion options galore.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Have you considered other applications (@ OP, in fact :)), or finding a workflow in FL that does NOT bog down the project? Surely it exists... I never liked FL much tbh. Because basically you're also saying that even a 10900K won't be enough :) Not disagreeing that certain software will run better on Intel and also not denying that it still has a ST crown, even if minor. But I question the net gain versus recent Ryzen chips. Even if you go by the passmark list up there, its nothing substantial unless you pick the absolute top model.

As for case... Fractal Define R#, tremendous sound dampening, can hold WC and expansion options galore.

I'm just trying to use facts and not equivocate to the cognitive bias that seems to exist. The facts are that the 2/3 of the use cases showed an i7-9700K (as example) is better at 2/3 of his use cases than a 3950X. A 10700K even more so. A 10900K is a full 15% faster in single thread Passmark.

Now if the author were saying "I need to run SQL Server" or "I want to do primarily video editing" or "I have to recompile Linux kernels 20x a day" then Ryzen would be the correct answer based on the data available. Ryzen might be the answer if the question was "I'm poor and and want to get the biggest bang for $600". But that's not what's happening here. That's a $5000 build and I can make something for $2000 that will rip it apart in the stated use cases.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
The more I think about it, OP's "budget" of $5000 seems a bit more of an e-peen thing than an actual case of having such an extreme budget due to actual NECESSITY. I mean, to be frank, I consider anyone who has a budget of over $2000 to be working in the professional space (rendering, numbers crunching, all that good stuff) who would have an actual NEED to spend $3000-$5000 (or more) because their work/job DEPENDS on it.

OP, while you're free to spend however much you want, ask yourself this one VERY important question in regards to your proposed budget: Do I NEED to spend $5000?

And now I'll ask you a question -- is music production apart of your PROFESSIONAL work? Is it what you earn a living doing five days a week? Or, is it merely a hobby that you're passionate about?

What I'm getting at is, don't spend $5000 on a build just because you CAN. Only spend that much because you NEED to. Besides that, a $5000 build isn't going to magically be anymore dependable than a $2000 just because it costs more.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
My thoughts. Use the Sx8200 as a boot drive and the Sabrent drive as a scratch disk and the HDD for storing completed projects

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($413.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($319.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
Sound Card: Asus Essence STX II 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140 mm Fan ($26.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140 mm Fan ($26.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2309.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 22:20 EDT-0400

System Name Custom
Processor Ryzen 2900X
Motherboard Gigabyte AMD B450 AORUS Elite
Memory 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 X Sapphire RX 480
Storage 500GB NVME, 4TB, 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2X MSI Optix AG32CV
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w gold
Mouse CORSAIR M65 Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 Rapidfire
Hi all. Could I get someone to look over my parts list and tell me if 1, it fits my needs? 2. Can I bring the cost down without sacrificing longevity, speed, or power? 3. Am I being too ambitious? I need something I can trust and count on, and my current PC is not it. I’m not too computer build savvy, so I did a “best of” search for the parts and researched from there, based on my needs and budget. There is so much out there now that it all sounds the same.

I am not a gamer, but I would love to have the option to do so if I choose. I do music production. FL Studios mostly. I run a program in the background called display fusion that is on 24/7 and drains on my current pc to the point my fans sound like a truck. I also do a lot of writing, uploading, downloading, movie watching, and music streaming. I love to multitask.

I have 3 32in., and 1 75in flat-screen TVs, studio monitor speakers, desktop speakers, and 3 8tb external hard drives connected to my current pc.

Budget $5000.

Here is the parts list…

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 500D RGB SE Mid-Tower Case.

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Gaming Motherboard.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X.

Corsair ICUE H150i PRO RGB XT liquid Cooler.

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200 Memory.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal SSD.

Samsung 860 Pro 2TB 2.5 in. SSD.

CORSAIR HX1000i, 1000-Watt, 80+ Platinum, Fully Modular, Digital Power Supply.

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Video Card.

ASUS Sound Card Essence STX II.

2 Corsair QL Series, 140mm, and 3 120mm RGB LED Fans.

Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard, MM800 Polaris RGB Mouse Pad, Dark Core RGB Pro Mouse.

Thanks, in advance.

Looks good to me but you don't need Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme... Youtubers benchmarked cheaper ones and they do nearly just as fine and most OC the same too.

MiguelElToro

Dude just stop finding Intel USPs on shallow water. There aren't any of note anymore. You're not doing yourself any favors in terms of credibility, wrong forum.

When it comes to audio processing on Windows the most important thing is getting ASIO4ALL or equipment with its own ASIO driver when it comes to your latency hit from connected gear. I run a DDJ-400 on a 3ms latency buffer and this is not a CPU limitation, but a Windows Audio 'in general being shit' situation. So please... stahp.

And when it comes to audio processing and production within the machine, any CPU will do just fine. You just need a fast one. Latency is a non issue, it relates only to buffer size.

__

As for potential builds. You have a big budget and wishlist, mind, I did not read 3 pages of it...
Both Intel and AMD have suitable choices. I would not directly opt for HEDT platforms because of general support level on what is predominantly 'consumer level' applications. FL Studio and all that semi pro stuff has great support on MSDT and also a big market on it. This indicates the applications work just fine on that level of performance. As for music production... I haven't managed to bring a 6c12t 8700K on its knees using a heavily loaded up Reason project. Audio processing on todays' CPUs is pretty light, for a half decent desktop machine.

Within MSDT... I'd opt for a non-K Intel 10th gen OR Ryzen 7~9 3xxx. I'd also opt for some order of a 8c16t CPU. That is your base, I'd put a build in both camps side by side and see where the best feature set is at for you in budget. You can lower your budget to 2000-2500 for the case and contents, separate that from the monitor and everything else so its clear what you're comparing.

You have a pretty expansive wishlist so I'd really go over the details of that comparison and see what serves you best. I haven't got time to put together parts lists, but I've seen a few that fit the bill already. I wouldn't focus too much on the CPU part, I think the bigger value for you will be in how you set up storage and back up, I'd definitely put some budget into a solid storage solution.
I will, thank you.

If you have the budget there is nothing wrong with being ambitious but as another poster mentioned a $2000-ish build may likely get you there with satisfaction.

Having said that however
- if you have the budget,
- and you plan on keeping your PC for 5 years,
- and you're going to get a motherboard that is over $350 (with a good VRM),
- and any type of water-cooling (AIO or custom loop),
- and with the maturity of the AM4 platform as it is now,
might as well stick a 3900x/3950x in it and be done (just my personal opinion).

However if you can wait it out for Zen3 to arrive you will have more, and perhaps much better performance choices.

With so many Corsair fans you might want to get at least one Commander Pro.

Perhaps look at Lian Li Dynamic XL case instead with that budget and number of fans.

RAM tends to have some issues on Ryzen (Corsair maybe the most problematic) so that might be hit and miss. With your budget go DDR4-3600. I do admit Corsair does have nice RGB ram aesthetic though.

If you don't want the headaches, issues, and time spent, of building your own PC find a good quality vendor that offers a variety of prebuilt with hardware choices. Not just a part picker vendor but one that integrates and tests their configurations to get some piece of mind, good hardware, and hopefully a decent warranty service.

(One way to bring your cost down is to avoid the RGB models of everything.)
Thank you very much. Great advice. The case you mentioned, I looked it up, and I like it.

For my first AIO I was using the older model H100i RGB (non-XT) and I was pretty happy with it too. I would recommend it.
Thank you

I appreciate your time. Thanks

Have you considered other applications (@ OP, in fact :)), or finding a workflow in FL that does NOT bog down the project?

Truth be told, I don't know. I use Fl, That's all I know, other than pro tools. My pc now, can't handle any real video editing software without crashing, and I wish to change that. I'm not a gamer, but I want options to do the things I like without the dreaded blue screen of death, or the screen freezing. I want to trust my pc to do what it is supposed to do. I don't have that right now. I happened to be stuck between both worlds according to what I'm reading from everyone. Single-core on one side, and multi-core on the other. With the way things seem to be in the pc world, is it wishful thinking to want both? As for the case. I picked it because I thought it looked nice and would fit the parts I picked, but I am not closed to any ideas. It came highly recommended.

The more I think about it, OP's "budget" of $5000 seems a bit more of an e-peen thing than an actual case of having such an extreme budget due to actual NECESSITY. (If I'm understanding you, no, that's not the case at all.)

I mean, to be frank, I consider anyone who has a budget of over $2000 to be working in the professional space (rendering, numbers crunching, all that good stuff) who would have an actual NEED to spend $3000-$5000 (or more) because their work/job DEPENDS on it.

OP, while you're free to spend however much you want, ask yourself this one VERY important question in regards to your proposed budget: Do I NEED to spend $5000? (No. It is just the max I can spend without hurting me financially. I'm not here to brag, or show off, or wag my E Peen. LOL. For the first time in my life, I have enough money to do something nice for myself without having to "rob Peter, to pay Paul." I didn't start the budget to build the pc. I picked the parts, and that's what it came to, so I rounded down, and settled on that price. Then I began inquiring ways to get the budget down. I don't want to spend 5gz if I don't have to. It is just a ceiling for what I can spend if need be, You don't know me, none of you do, so I can see how it might look like I waving a huge budget in pplz faces. I'm not. I just want a good pc, and I was told the people here would guide me in the right direction. That's all.)

And now I'll ask you a question -- is music production apart of your PROFESSIONAL work? Is it what you earn a living doing five days a week? Or, is it merely a hobby that you're passionate about?
(I did professional music for seven years a long time ago. Before you look me up, I never said I was great at it. LOL Music changed, I didn't and I drifted away from it. I did that on a store-bought pc. Am I looking to get back into the game? Not sure. But I love music, I miss making it, and this time around I just want to make what I like and stay away from the politics of it all. Production has changed drastically, and I would like a machine that can keep up if it is 2gz or less, cool, but if more, I'm covered without breaking the bank. The case, the lights, the flash, the rgbs. That's for me. I like good looking things. I didn't think there was anything wrong with having both.)

What I'm getting at is, don't spend $5000 on a build just because you CAN. Only spend that much because you NEED to. Besides that, a $5000 build isn't going to magically be anymore dependable than a $2000 just because it costs more. (Wise words. I'm listening.)

My thoughts. Use the Sx8200 as a boot drive and the Sabrent drive as a scratch disk and the HDD for storing completed projects

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($413.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($319.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
Sound Card: Asus Essence STX II 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card
Total: $2309.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 22:20 EDT-0400
Bless you. Thank you.

Looks good to me but you don't need Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme... Youtubers benchmarked cheaper ones and they do nearly just as fine and most OC the same too.
Most appreciated.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Truth be told, I don't know. I use Fl, That's all I know, other than pro tools. My pc now, can't handle any real video editing software without crashing, and I wish to change that. I'm not a gamer, but I want options to do the things I like without the dreaded blue screen of death, or the screen freezing. I want to trust my pc to do what it is supposed to do. I don't have that right now. I happened to be stuck between both worlds according to what I'm reading from everyone. Single-core on one side, and multi-core on the other. With the way things seem to be in the pc world, is it wishful thinking to want both? As for the case. I picked it because I thought it looked nice and would fit the parts I picked, but I am not closed to any ideas. It came highly recommended.

If you decided to go multi-core there are programs and/or OS commands you can use to pin your applications to the fastest cores. If overall processing time will be significantly better then what you have now, and the absolute fastest core speed is not a requirement for your needs, then you have a lot of options of CPU to choose from to create a balanced build for what you want; that also keeps you within your budget and maybe well below it.

If your actually making money with the work you do then I'd split the difference and get 2 pc's for the overall budget you provided, one work and one play. Reason being time is money and games (and other foreplay) can compromise and destabilize your PC putting your work capability and income at risk.

Since I build my own I keep two PC's one of which is strictly work/server (and hot spare) and the other for work/play. This has saved me quite a few times over the years.

MiguelElToro

If you decided to go multi-core there are programs and/or OS commands you can use to pin your applications to the fastest cores. If overall processing time will be significantly better then what you have now, and the absolute fastest core speed is not a requirement for your needs, then you have a lot of options of CPU to choose from to create a balanced build for what you want; that also keeps you within your budget and maybe well below it.

If your actually making money with the work you do then I'd split the difference and get 2 pc's for the overall budget you provided, one work and one play. Reason being time is money and games (and other foreplay) can compromise and destabilize your PC putting your work capability and income at risk.

Since I build my own I keep two PC's one of which is strictly work/server (and hot spare) and the other for work/play. This has saved me quite a few times over the years.
Good idea. Thank you.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You can have both single core performance and sufficient core count in todays CPUs. I wouldn't overcomplicate it too much. Get some order of a high end mainstream CPU, decent cooling on it and you are set.

As for other applications; I'd certainly look into that. Depends on the scene you're producing for as well, to some degree. The basics of audio design are not radically different between applications, its just about finding back in the application what you already know, really.

Cubase, Ableton, Reason, are among them.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I'll throw in my viewpoint. Maybe someone can adjust it to make it better/cheaper.

CPU - 10900
Cooler - Kraken Z63
Mobo - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x16GB DDR-3600 CL16
SSD - 2xCorsair MP600 Force Series 2TB
GPU - MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC
Case - Lian Li Lancool II-X
PSU - Corsair RM750 80+ Gold
Sound Card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9

Price $3368.40 USD (after rebates, $3418.40 before rebates)

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
I have to brake it to everybody but why didn't somebody (until now) pitch getting a Mac for music and a seperate PC for gaming?

I would go with that, since Macs are known to be best productivity machines created. 5000$ you say? I can work with that.

1. A brand new MacBook Pro will cost you around 2500$, it will be mobile, you can work with it anywhere and will do better job with music than any other Windows machine anyone is going to pitch to you here, including the machine ill pitch to you for gaming. (link: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/)

2. Since you have 2500$ left for a gaming PC, here are some spec to consider: (and ill not be bias, ill recommend 2 options, Intel and AMD and you decide which 1 you want)

Intel Build:

Intel Core I7 10700k - 600$ or AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 400$
Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming - 300$ or MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi - 350$
EVGA 850 Super Nova PSU - 180$
GSkill Trident Z RGB 4 x 8GB 3200Mhz kit - 190$
EVGA RTX 2070S KO - 510$
Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME - 280$
NZXT H510 Elite - 85$
Corsair Hydro Serie H110 240mm - 300$
Corsair ML120 Pro x 3 Kit - 125$

TOTAL: 2600$ (Intel Build) or 2420$ (AMD Build) with Newegg without shipping

For me this is the best for both worlds and IMHO better for your needs than any single 5000$ machine you can build.
And to the fan boys out there: WE ARE HERE TO HELP, NOT WASTE THE MAN's TIME WHAT IS BETTER, HELP HIM OR DONT COMMENT AT ALL.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
If you have $5000 to spend on as build and want to smile to yourself everyday?

CPU: 3960X $1700
Cooler: Noctua DH14 TR4 $100
MB: MSI SRTX STRX4 Carbon WIFI $400
RAM: 64GB of Gskill or ADAta XPG 3200MHZ (2 x 16GB) x2 $300
STORAGE: BOOT: 1 TB SSD $100
DATA: 2x 4000MHZ+ PCIe 4.0 1 TB ($400)
DATA 2: ASUS PCIe 4.0 Expansion card: (Up to 4 NMVE 4.0 in RAID 0) for scratch files ($200+)
PSU: CORSAIR HX1000i ($220)
CASE: WHATEVER YOU WANT FOR $200

I did not include a GPU because $1520 left to spend on a GPU and new GPUs are almost here but if you need one right now the 2080 TI makes sense if you are Gaming but anything $1000 GPU should satisfy your current needs.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I have to brake it to everybody but why didn't somebody (until now) pitch getting a Mac for music and a seperate PC for gaming?

I would go with that, since Macs are known to be best productivity machines created. 5000$ you say? I can work with that.

1. A brand new MacBook Pro will cost you around 2500$, it will be mobile, you can work with it anywhere and will do better job with music than any other Windows machine anyone is going to pitch to you here, including the machine ill pitch to you for gaming. (link: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/)

2. Since you have 2500$ left for a gaming PC, here are some spec to consider: (and ill not be bias, ill recommend 2 options, Intel and AMD and you decide which 1 you want)

Intel Build:

Intel Core I7 10700k - 600$ or AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 400$
Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming - 300$ or MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi - 350$
EVGA 850 Super Nova PSU - 180$
GSkill Trident Z RGB 4 x 8GB 3200Mhz kit - 190$
EVGA RTX 2070S KO - 510$
Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME - 280$
NZXT H510 Elite - 85$
Corsair Hydro Serie H110 240mm - 300$
Corsair ML120 Pro x 3 Kit - 125$

TOTAL: 2600$ (Intel Build) or 2420$ (AMD Build) with Newegg without shipping

For me this is the best for both worlds and IMHO better for your needs than any single 5000$ machine you can build.
And to the fan boys out there: WE ARE HERE TO HELP, NOT WASTE THE MAN's TIME WHAT IS BETTER, HELP HIM OR DONT COMMENT AT ALL.

Macbook Pro is a pretty hot headed lappy. I've had a few under my care... would def not recommend for an audio production machine. Even just the fan noise is a deal breaker. Yes, productivity machines, too bad the performance is lackluster; blame Intel's hot, bursty chips. They will throttle quite a bit under any sustained load.