• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High end PC game stuttering causing by DPI setting conflict (Witcher 3) need help

ericVonFenf

Dear friend

Thank you for your time to answer my question, I been having frame rate hitching/ stutter/ sudden drop

Definition of those mentioned above for clear understanding:

I’m on a pretty decent rig with Gsync monitor doing 4K resolution on Witcher 3, I can pretty much maintain high frame with DLSS+Ray tracing+full setting to high, however, it’s been bothers me for 3 weeks since I always got this drop to 20ish stutter in the middle of 100+ framerate, it keep going for half of a second or 1 second, but it’s just there, I could see a huge vertical line on RTSS frame time graph indicate the stutter.

I did everything I could after check online, then I found the source of the problem is DPI setting of the game, it some how conflict with windows.

I discovered this accidentally by enter the game, set display mode to borderless windows, yet with 2K resolution in game setting, so I got this tiny window in the center of screen. And it’s completely stutter free for the first time ever. the vertical line gone.and it’s smooth.

However after a restart, I can’t seem to maintain the borderless window, and stutter came back, so start digging online toward right direction.

I went to Witcher3.exe, properties, disabled full-screen optimization, checked run on admin, then into change high DPI setting page, on this page, my initial try was check the box on top of the page(application DPI), checked the box there, then set the drop down menu to when log in windows.after that my stutter is gone when I go back in the games, however, everything is in 2K solution and full screen window, so I quit game, changed display scaling to 100% from 150%, I got nice 4K resolution and stutter free game, however, if I raise my setting little further, the stutter persist. So I thought I would mess with the setting even further, I can see there is a “when application lunched” in drop down menu, and I could see there is a change high dpi behavior with 3 options: system/system(enhanced)/application.

That’s where I got really confused, which option or setting should I use to get a stutter free game since I have located the core issue of my stuttering/hitching. I also noticed I could check both boxes in this application dpi page, the one the top and one at bottom. How is this thing works. How it gonna help me to nail the stutter? Should I check both or which option should I choose? I’m really confused about those options and what they do to help in my situation.

I’m pretty much getting an anxiety attack because spending thousands of dollars building a PC and not to enjoy it.

P.S forgive my poor English if any of those terms is not accurate when it comes to English system. Thank you for your help and eager to hear from you!

BR

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Please fill out your TPU System Specs so we have a better understanding of the hardware we are talking about.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Did you try older display drivers?