• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HL2 stuttering fix

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Valve has released a Patch for Half-Life 2 which is supposed to fix the sound problems people were having. In most cases this is related to video memory texture trashing.

This update will fix sound stuttering that users were experiencing that would last for longer than a few seconds during normal gameplay. This update will also eliminate this same behavior following a quicksave or autosave. There will still be a short pause while the autosave happens, but not the more drawn out stuttering behavior.

Here are a few suggestions for fixing the sound skipping problem.

1. Download the latest drivers for your video card.
2. Turn down (or off) anti-aliasing completely. Many cards should be defaulting to no AA.
3. Drop your video resolution down one step.
4. Drop texture level down one setting. This will slightly degrade the visual quality of the textures in the game.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
I'm having this problem with Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines, which is also based on the source engine.
I did some research and it seems a lot of ppl have the same problem in both games, I found a solution, which many ppl says works with HL2 as well.
Add the line -heapsize 512000 message to the game's shortcut, (512000 being the amount of RAM on your PC) then lower the sound quality, this helped me a lot.

U

Unregistered

HL-2 Patch

My computer was running HL-2 just fine with no studdering at all until the patch was released... Now my computer has the studdering problem and even when I set "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware = 1" to "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware = 0" I still have the studdering problem.

ReconCX

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 480
Storage Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD x2
Display(s) ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Trooper
Power Supply COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Software Microsoft® Windows 8 Professional
it's about time they did an update. i was beginning to think that valve forgot about the game