• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do coders stay healthy? Carpal Tunnel, sedentary, etc. What are some common best practices?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Dark mode all the things, have good music like non vocal mid tempo trance or DnB or listen to youtube channels like chillhop. Ergo keyboads and mice gave me wrist issues I had to use a brace for months.Switched to standard stuff and don't get it. Also Red walls in my office keep me warm and alert.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
My way of keeping semi-fit: Sit/stand desk (mostly in stand mode), ride my bicycle to work 3 times a week instead of driving all the time (about 20 miles offroad biking per day to get to work and back), don't eat trash. Make sure to adjust desk height to match your positioning (my sit/stand desk is electric and has millimeter level adjustment. If I sit I tend to slouch later in the day more than I do so in the morning, so I adjust desk height to make sure my hands are positioned well over the keyboard.

I tried ergonomic peripherals (vertical mouse, split keyboard) and ended up with severe muscle pain and inflammation, so I just use a regular keyboard and mouse - I suspect that after two plus decades of using regular peripherals my body is used to them and any change is unlikely to make things better.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Everything in moderation. Don't code all day, play some games instead

Wait

Ah ok, I am doing intermittent fasting 16 hours nothing enters my body except water, the other 8 I eat as I please, seems to work for me. I went from 200 to 190 in last few months. I mean during the 8, you can't just shove 5000 calories down or anything, still have to be smart what you eat. I just had a triple steak burger and fries with a shake though. /shrug

You literally described why diets like that never work. Yo-yo-ing with your food intake is a fast ticket to all sorts of issues long term and makes staying at weight progressively harder. I'd stop immediately.

Its about a lifestyle change and sticking to it when it comes to food and physique. That and some luck with metabolism. There is no shortcut or magic bullet, that is why those 'methods' sell so well. People want it easy, when deep down everybody knows it doesn't work like that.

About sitting. Many studies have shown that its all about changes in seating position and movements. Not so much the specifics of what you do and for how long. Any muscle can and should be trained from time to time, or it degrades, and that in turn leads to injury. That, and listening to your body gets you pretty far. I spend at least 8-10 hrs per day behind a screen... and while its a learning process, the benefits of doing all those little things is noticeable. If I sit frozen in place, I feel like I've skipped a few nights' sleep after a work day.

Those ergonomical peripherals for example, are useless until you've actually developed an injury, because then greater comfort is found using a different type of movement. Regular stretching and changing seating/standing positions can prevent that from happening without extra tools.

Last edited:
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Regarding a Carpal Tunnel issues I also have a bit pain in my right hand with this simple trick you can release pain and maybe even fix it with time

I personally now prefer to use my home-made elastic band........

NickG1

Id like to say the game changer for me was having multiple screens at different distances, they give my eyes a chance to constantly change focus, also build some exercise into your other regular activities..i do press ups and squats when i make a coffee, push yourself a bit..puff and do it several time a day..monitor your bp and pulse u will see it works wonders

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm 5 years into an engineering job where getting new hardware is pulling teeth. Already got a bone spur in my neck.

My boss has used a 720p TV as his main monitor for almost ten years now. So yeah. Life is pain. *shrug*

The wife has been informed I'm not going much longer. Might do the stay at home dad thing.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm 5 years into an engineering job where getting new hardware is pulling teeth. Already got a bone spur in my neck.

My boss has used a 720p TV as his main monitor for almost ten years now. So yeah. Life is pain. *shrug*

The wife has been informed I'm not going much longer. Might do the stay at home dad thing.

Stay at home Dad would be ideal imo if the wife is ok with it and makes enough money. More power to women who want to work I say, I'd love to be stay at home Dad if I had a partner who made enough money. I have fun doing arts/crafts, plus there is always down time where the kid enjoys a show or something too, so I could game during that time. :D

I am morbidly obese and have carpal tunnel. I haven't done anything to fix it because I just don't care. Not bragging, just the effects of being depressed and having medical issues that sap my energy. I am the personification of being miserable and wallowing in it.

We are allocated x amount of time in this life. I highly recommend you try to wake up. Watch Cosmos by Carl Sagan, grab a one person tent, a cheap motorcycle, get your license for it, just head out west exploring, they get like 80 mpg. Re-locate. Doing something to wake up man. I was in similar situation, said f it, got some student loans and went to grad school in a different country. Yeah I am in debt for next ten years, but it woke me up. /shrug lol

Humans were not mean to sit all day, or stare at a screen all day. I have a strong belief that we were nomadic in a lot of ways, even if it was very regional type of nomadic behavior... still nomadic.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan, Planet Earth series on blu ray... Earth and the Cosmos are amazing man, just try to think and meditate on it all and realize you only have a short while on this planet. That's what helped me anyway, therapists also can help I suppose if you want to try that.