• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I diagnose which part is making my PC randomly freeze

Since you have uninstalled RGB fusion however most of the entries still remain. Use some sort of advance uninstaller to completely wipe off the fusion software.
If you haven’t had a crash may be this was the hickup. Do install drivers from nvidia.com elimnating gigabyte goodies next time.
Tell us where you have reached after that.
Also which version of windows you are using ?
I'm using windows 10.
I haven't used an advanced uninstaller, which one would you recommend?
Andi used GeForce experience to reinstall a graphics driver yesterday.

Reactions: aQi

aQi

I'm using windows 10.
I haven't used an advanced uninstaller, which one would you recommend?
Andi used GeForce experience to reinstall a graphics driver yesterday.

So far whats the situation ? Did you encounter freezes or not ?

And there are many uninstallers i personally dont use any but you can download any, you have to google for that.

I haven't had a crash since the last one so I can't tell you yet, when I crash I'll look in the event viewer. There was this new error i found though:

Faulting application name: UTHardwareMonitorCmd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bdac27d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.475, time stamp: 0x9877ee8b
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0011c762
Faulting process ID: 0x3914
Faulting application start time: 0x01d512653470a935
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\RGBFusion\UTHardwareMonitorCmd\UTHardwareMonitorCmd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 2595c00b-fd00-4bb4-ac38-9b14a8a55837
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:]

This did not cause a crash.
That app would not cause the system problems you've been describing earlier. While cleaning up your registry is a good idea, the problems you have described seem to be hardware problems. The full-screen color shifting is the clue. Very few things other than GPU fault would cause that. System RAM faults would cause lock ups but not screen color issues.

Last edited:
So far whats the situation ? Did you encounter freezes or not ?

And there are many uninstallers i personally dont use any but you can download any, you have to google for that.
I just crashed, white screen with audio cut off.
In event viewer theres nothing about the gigabyte error just these ones:
Unable to open the Server service performance object. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code.
The Open procedure for service ".NETFramework" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.dll" failed with error code Access is denied.. Performance data for this service will not be available.
The Open procedure for service "ESENT" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\esentprf.dll" failed with error code Access is denied.. Performance data for this service will not be available.
The Open procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed with error code Access is denied.. Performance data for this service will not be available.
The Open procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed with error code The device is not ready.. Performance data for this service will not be available.

They don't just occur when I crash either, they were found at boot up as well.
I'm going to take one stick of ram out and see what happens and if it does fail I'll try the other one,its unlikely they're both faulty right?

If this fails I'll go full in with the troubleshooting tomorrow, trying the intel integrated graphics. Since that error no long exists I haven't used a uninstaller and idk if i should

Since I'm on 8GB of ram now better shut chrome down before I crash :roll:

Also, why did my FPS half?

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
That code is part of a 'I crashed, phone it home" program; it seems to have something to do with performance measurement.

I think you need to fully remove the graphics driver, and reload it from a local source, not from the web.

I think that's already been said.

If it's doing it on startup, that's a good sign that Part of something has been removed, and the remainder crashes when it tries to run.

If you have a spare HD, load it up fresh, and only load the drivers, and see if it's stable. Restore an older backup, if you have one, on the spare drive.
I'd unplug the current drive, so nothing accidently happens to it. :)

That code is part of a 'I crashed, phone it home" program; it seems to have something to do with performance measurement.

I think you need to fully remove the graphics driver, and reload it from a local source, not from the web.

I think that's already been said.

If it's doing it on startup, that's a good sign that Part of something has been removed, and the remainder crashes when it tries to run.

If you have a spare HD, load it up fresh, and only load the drivers, and see if it's stable. Restore an older backup, if you have one, on the spare drive.
I'd unplug the current drive, so nothing accidently happens to it. :)
Okay, I'll get one of my Hard disks out and format it then load Windows 10 from the install USB?
Then should i go directly to nvidias website or...?

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Did you ever update the BIOS on the motherboard? I dealt with a similar issue a few months back on my sons machine. A little bit older than yours, i7-3770k on a Gigabyte board with a GTX970. I swore up and down it was the video card, RAM or power supply. I tried all three with no change . I had basically given up and figured one last try I will update the BIOS. In my mind, no changes where made to the machine's hardware configuration and the issues just start appearing and getting worse with time. Well, I'm not sure why of how but the BIOS update fixed the issue and he's been gaming 30+ hours a week since. 100% stable now...

Did you ever update the BIOS on the motherboard? I dealt with a similar issue a few months back on my sons machine. A little bit older than yours, i7-3770k on a Gigabyte board with a GTX970. I swore up and down it was the video card, RAM or power supply. I tried all three with no change . I had basically given up and figured one last try I will update the BIOS. In my mind, no changes where made to the machine's hardware configuration and the issues just start appearing and getting worse with time. Well, I'm not sure why of how but the BIOS update fixed the issue and he's been gaming 30+ hours a week since. 100% stable now...
No, I tried but I actually wasn't actually sure which one to pick on MSI's website
Well I think i found it and this is one of the points:
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Updated AGESA code.
I'm finishing up my revision then I'll install it.

aQi

I just crashed, white screen with audio cut off.
In event viewer theres nothing about the gigabyte error just these ones:
Unable to open the Server service performance object. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code.
The Open procedure for service ".NETFramework" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.dll" failed with error code Access is denied.. Performance data for this service will not be available.
The Open procedure for service "ESENT" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\esentprf.dll" failed with error code Access is denied.. Performance data for this service will not be available.
The Open procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed with error code Access is denied.. Performance data for this service will not be available.
The Open procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed with error code The device is not ready.. Performance data for this service will not be available.

They don't just occur when I crash either, they were found at boot up as well.
I'm going to take one stick of ram out and see what happens and if it does fail I'll try the other one,its unlikely they're both faulty right?

If this fails I'll go full in with the troubleshooting tomorrow, trying the intel integrated graphics. Since that error no long exists I haven't used a uninstaller and idk if i should

Since I'm on 8GB of ram now better shut chrome down before I crash :roll:

Also, why did my FPS half?

Ok now the audio cut off is new. Download the latest bios from
The top in the list is the latest one Version: 1.D

The dll are mostly windows OS based and likely to do be a part of security updates as well. If you are on the newest version of windows its already very buggy.

The intel HD gfx idea is perfect.
Here is what you would have to try evenly
Take the rams out just install one dim and have a fresh installation of windows, download latest chipset and gfx drivers from intel’s website. Install them.

But these errors concerning dll they should not be causing a crash. Lets find out then. If you are on previous release of windows do this right after installing windows:
Press the keyboard windows key + r for run command
Type services.msc hit enter
Scroll down to windows updates and double click it. Disable the service and click ok.

Intel gfx can handle counter strike if im not wrong.
If everything goes well. Take the ram out and insert the other stick to assess it. Do the stressful

When finally everything is fine. Least insert your gfx and install those drivers downloaded from nvidia.

Start some playing...

Last edited:
Okay, I've formatted my drive installed windows, and turned off windows updates. How should I get my ethenet driver?
Also, should i just take the GPU out? or download driver from nvidia, then play games to see if it crashes

aQi

Okay, I've formatted my drive installed windows, and turned off windows updates. How should I get my ethenet driver?
Also, should i just take the GPU out? or download driver from nvidia, then play games to see if it crashes

Bro if you did not downloaded any drivers.

Just install ethernet from your driver dvd.
From the internet download latest chipset and igfx drivers from intel.com
And geforce drivers from nvidia.com but do not engage 980ti in anything just yet (i presume the display is coming from igfx means monitor is plugged into igfx)

Use igfx for every activity even the counter strike. Give some stress see if anything crashes..

Do share afterwards..

So this is where I'm up to:
I've formatted, reinstalled a fresh version of windows.
Downloaded the ethernet drivers and I'm installing Intel's drivers now.
I'm then going to set my primary displace device as the iGFX and plug DVI into my motherboard.
Then download counterstrike and play some games over the next day or two and see if there are any crashes.

Does this sound okay?
- Also, side note it's going to be me just brute forcing trying to get a crash which to be sure might take a few days to be sure as the frequency of crashes is a lot higher on apex legends and other similar titles. (Might try overwatch as that crashed every game a few months ago which is why I had to stop playing)

Okay issue:
I changed in bios this integrated graphics setting from peg to igx or something similar and now I'm not getting a signal from my motherboard or graphics card.

Should I just take the cmos out? and retry

aQi

So this is where I'm up to:
I've formatted, reinstalled a fresh version of windows.
Downloaded the ethernet drivers and I'm installing Intel's drivers now.
I'm then going to set my primary displace device as the iGFX and plug DVI into my motherboard.
Then download counterstrike and play some games over the next day or two and see if there are any crashes.

Does this sound okay?
- Also, side note it's going to be me just brute forcing trying to get a crash which to be sure might take a few days to be sure as the frequency of crashes is a lot higher on apex legends and other similar titles. (Might try overwatch as that crashed every game a few months ago which is why I had to stop playing)

Okay issue:
I changed in bios this integrated graphics setting from peg to igx or something similar and now I'm not getting a signal from my motherboard or graphics card.

Should I just take the cmos out? and retry

I knew this was gona happen so i did suggest to take the gfx (graphics card out) anyways the bios still wants the signal from your gfx anyway. I presume you are now on the latest bios. In such case just plug out the gfx and ofcorse the cmos cell for a couple of mins. Note that every power cable and all cables should be plugged out even the dvi usb cables. I know there are jumpers and cmos reset buttons as well but certain intel / msi / asus motherboards never let you reset their bios that easy. I am saying this all just to avoid panic if you still dont get the display to show up.

So take out the graphics card and cmos battery unplug any cable attached to your system after a few mins put back the cmos battery. Plug the power and dvi into the motherboard. Do not put back the graphics card just now. Turn on the system. I am waiting for a reply from your side now.

Okay I took the CMOS out and got a display back from my graphics card.
In task manager, I don't see the 980ti even though thats the display device it's plugged into.
Should I change that setting again and then uninstall the GPU and see if it'll let me do it?
Last time I took the GPU out nothing happened and I had to reinstall it

aQi

Okay I took the CMOS out and got a display back from my graphics card.
In task manager, I don't see the 980ti even though thats the display device it's plugged into.
Should I change that setting again and then uninstall the GPU and see if it'll let me do it?
Last time I took the GPU out nothing happened and I had to reinstall it

You have installed drivers from nvidia.com ?

My point for taking the 980ti out physically was to make sure the freezing is not caused by it.

aQi

No, I haven't installed them yet
should I?
I suggest to take the gfx out and use the igfx for the while. But do install igfx and chipset drivers from intel.
I want to know if you still get those freeze without gfx.

I launched overwatch, and it was getting 30fps which suggests my graphics card isn't doing anything rn and it's all integrated graphics

Okay, I'm guess it's best to do it physically rather than using the PCI-E lange configuration

aQi

I launched overwatch, and it was getting 30fps which suggests my graphics card isn't doing anything rn and it's all integrated graphics

Your gfx is giving the output i presume ?
Non the less windows might have installed its driver(microsft)
Check device manager. Under display tab check if its shows both intel graphics and nvidia 980ti.

Its clear you dont want to remove the gfx physically. Still have you updated the bios ?

Could i get on a call with you because I have a few questions and other information and it would just be easy to say it

I just uninstalled it physically, it's just a pain because it's a AIO.
I'm still not getting a output from integrated graphics

Someone mentioned earlier about people ripping graphics cards out of the socket, (I didn't do it this time) but I remember struggling a few months back when I was trying to do it so I've just looked at the slot and its a bit unaligned as in the slot is slightly angled downwards and the catch works but it's quite a lot looser than the other ones

aQi

Could i get on a call with you because I have a few questions and other information and it would just be easy to say it

I just uninstalled it physically, it's just a pain because it's a AIO.
I'm still not getting a output from integrated graphics

Oh i did not know it was water cooled. Bro least download its latest drivers from nvidia.com or follow the link...

Check you pm.

On the new bios and newly installed operating system I crashed. I also have coil wine which I haven't heard before but I don't really listen to it ever so..
I took the other RAM stick out and I'm testing the other one now and seeing if that fixes it but I really don't know..

aQi

On the new bios and newly installed operating system I crashed. I also have coil wine which I haven't heard before but I don't really listen to it ever so..
I took the other RAM stick out and I'm testing the other one now and seeing if that fixes it but I really don't know..

Ok