• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you justify a CPU upgrade?

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
If I have the funds extra? Can I use or sell the old one, is it worth buying.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I think a big part of the justifying is far too abstract, but the most tangible part of it, for me, is that I need to be able to feel it. 10% IPC? 200mhz clock boost? Don't even bother me with it... To me the CPU Is the core part of a build, I build the whole rig around it (cooling, GPU upgrade perspective, etc.) and only upgrade when the thing has gone too slow to be worth keeping. Its clearly the part that lasts these days. So its also worth investing a bit more to get a higher end part.

So, less, but bigger upgrades are the way to go IMO for CPUs. Most cost effective, bigger fun factor from bigger jumps forward.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Far too much detail and such... Surely if someone would like to have something, they go out and buy whatever they would like if funds allow it??

I've never given a thought to electric costs or anything like that... I am quite surprised at some of the reasons behind upgrades in the thread....

System Name My Little Bad Boy
Processor i7 6900K
Motherboard ASUS X99 E WS USB 3.1
Cooling By Noctua
Memory 128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 FTW
Storage Many TB's of storage of all kinds
Display(s) ASUS 27" Monitor
Case Thermal Take Level 10 GT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair Platinum HX1000i
Mouse I use whatever mouse works best at the time. I have dozens
Keyboard LOGITECH PRODIGY keyboard
Software Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.1 Pro, Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores 3.91 GHz on this. Happy with it as it is. Not a gaming rig.
You justify a CPU upgrade when 1) Your system no longer meets your computing requirements and the bottleneck points straight at the CPU. 2) You want another PC for other purposes and you don't have the heart to rid yourself of the one you've grown to love over all those years because > < fill in blank. (This is not to be confused for a replacement if both CPUS are being used – especially if they're working in collusion.) 3) You have in your possession a lot of money and you want to spend it on something you might enjoy. 4) A loved one has been nagging you about their sluggish unit and it's like ten years old OR: upgrading their rig will please them immensely. I hope this helps :)

Oh. I forgot.. There's another reason. You like building PCs and a client wants their CPU replaced. Customer is always right.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You justify a CPU upgrade when 1) Your system no longer meets your computing requirements and the bottleneck points straight at the CPU. 2) You want another PC for other purposes and you don't have the heart to rid yourself of the one you've grown to love over all those years because > < fill in blank. (This is not to be confused for a replacement if both CPUS are being used – especially if they're working in collusion.) 3) You have in your possession a lot of money and you want to spend it on something you might enjoy. 4) A loved one has been nagging you about their sluggish unit and it's like ten years old OR: upgrading their rig will please them immensely. I hope this helps :)

Oh. I forgot.. There's another reason. You like building PCs and a client wants their CPU replaced. Customer is always right.

You forgot 6) When your Windows WEI score drops to 7.8

Processor i7 6900K
Cooling By Noctua
Absolutely. Can't have that. Especially when Win 7 is finally going to be set free from the clutches of the Evil One! :)

Processor i7 6900K
Cooling By Noctua
lol I had nothing else to put in at the time. Besides, it brings back memories. It was my first 7.9 :D

Somebody wanna make me a siggy? I'm too busy for that sort of thing these days

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Somebody wanna make me a siggy? I'm too busy for that sort of thing these days

No one can make a signature for you. You have to do it yourself if you want one. Click on your name upper right and from the drop down menu click on signature.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is, but you'd be surprised at how much all of the small things add up.
No, because of my background as an electronics technician, I pay attention to those things. So not surprised - "if" I know what and how many power consuming devices are in there. And yes, 8 fans, pumps and many drives all do add up quickly. But still, at idle over 200W is a lot - even if all the fans are running at full RPM. And it is that "idle" power consumption that is what surprised me. I don't disbelieve it, however. I have seen higher idle consumption - especially with big water cooling setups.

BTW, I generally don't guess at PSU requirements and instead, use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. This is by far the best and only calculator I recommend. Like all calculators, it still pads the results to ensure it does not suggest an under-powered PSU, but it is by far, the most conservative. And because it has a regular staff of researchers keeping it current, it is by far the most accurate too.

But if I quickly want a rough idea how much a typical component might consume, I refer to this Power Consumption of PC Components in Watts page as it has a nice breakdown, including that of many different size fans. It is getting a little outdated, but still good for a quick "rough" idea.
I really should get a electricity usage monitor thingy, put a hard number to my computer power consumption...
Well, I generally recommend every computer go through a "good" UPS with AVR and I note many of those have small, but very informative LCD status displays. But it should be noted they display status for the entire UPS, not the individual components connected to it. As I said above, I have 2 monitors and my network gear connected too, not just my computer. Of course I could temporarily isolate my computer if I had the desire but I am more concerned with my entire consumption.

Note too that many UPS come with monitoring software. PowerChute for APC UPS is even more informative than the LCD panel as it keeps logs and can be used to calculate costs. But of course, the computer, Windows and at least one monitor has to be awake to see that.

Surge and spike protectors are little more than fancy and expensive extension cords. And I quickly add, it is the AVR (automatic voltage regulation) feature of a "good" UPS that makes them so valuable. Backup power during a full power outage is just a minor bonus.

That said, a basic electricity usage meter (kilowatt meter) can be had for little money and is much more convenient for measuring other devices in the house. These cheap budget models are not "precision measuring instruments", but close enough for these purposes.
i know what i pay and its 50+cents not 13.
im in california btw.

so cool that im not allowed to have a opinion
Yeah right. Residential Electricity Rates & Consumption in California
Residential electricity rates in California average 15.34¢/kWh
You can plug in your city (and state) to see what they charge. And yes, you certainly are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

And once again, your CPU is just one component in your computer and it is highly unlikely it is running at 100%, 24/7/365. And again, we all agree a more power hungry CPU burns more electricity and typically generates more heat. Just not enough more to be a key justification for paying more for a new CPU.

No body is picking on you BTW, killster. We are just sticklers for the facts.
I think a big part of the justifying is far too abstract,
Well, certainly very subjective.

No, because of my background as an electronics technician, I pay attention to those things. So not surprised - "if" I know what and how many power consuming devices are in there. And yes, 8 fans, pumps and many drives all do add up quickly. But still, at idle over 200W is a lot - even if all the fans are running at full RPM. And it is that "idle" power consumption that is what surprised me. I don't disbelieve it, however. I have seen higher idle consumption - especially with big water cooling setups.

BTW, I generally don't guess at PSU requirements and instead, use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. This is by far the best and only calculator I recommend. Like all calculators, it still pads the results to ensure it does not suggest an under-powered PSU, but it is by far, the most conservative. And because it has a regular staff of researchers keeping it current, it is by far the most accurate too.

But if I quickly want a rough idea how much a typical component might consume, I refer to this Power Consumption of PC Components in Watts page as it has a nice breakdown, including that of many different size fans. It is getting a little outdated, but still good for a quick "rough" idea.

Well, I generally recommend every computer go through a "good" UPS with AVR and I note many of those have small, but very informative LCD status displays. But it should be noted they display status for the entire UPS, not the individual components connected to it. As I said above, I have 2 monitors and my network gear connected too, not just my computer. Of course I could temporarily isolate my computer if I had the desire but I am more concerned with my entire consumption.

Note too that many UPS come with monitoring software. PowerChute for APC UPS is even more informative than the LCD panel as it keeps logs and can be used to calculate costs. But of course, the computer, Windows and at least one monitor has to be awake to see that.

Surge and spike protectors are little more than fancy and expensive extension cords. And I quickly add, it is the AVR (automatic voltage regulation) feature of a "good" UPS that makes them so valuable. Backup power during a full power outage is just a minor bonus.

That said, a basic electricity usage meter (kilowatt meter) can be had for little money and is much more convenient for measuring other devices in the house. These cheap budget models are not "precision measuring instruments", but close enough for these purposes.
Yeah right. Residential Electricity Rates & Consumption in California You can plug in your city (and state) to see what they charge. And yes, you certainly are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

And once again, your CPU is just one component in your computer and it is highly unlikely it is running at 100%, 24/7/365. And again, we all agree a more power hungry CPU burns more electricity and typically generates more heat. Just not enough more to be a key justification for paying more for a new CPU.

No body is picking on you BTW, killster. We are just sticklers for the facts.
Well, certainly very subjective.

Where i live it is in teirs for how much you use. just because average for California is 15 cents doesnt mean thats what i pay or what normal people pay. you cant stop with your giant posts. Just because a cpu is just one component doesnt mean i should just give up and use a old wasteful cpu, i went 7 years with out upgrading. i like how you tell people their opinions are wrong. when my next power bill comes ill scan it and show you how much i get for 15cents how much is 25 cents how much is 35 cents how much is 45cents etc etc. wonder how easy it is to set a user on ignore ;)

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No need to scan your bill, though you certainly can if you like. Providing your city or zip code will tell us all we need to know. Unless you live many miles out in the boonies with no other connected buildings within miles around, I highly doubt you are paying, $.50 per kWh in California, USA. So yes, I would be very interested in seeing your bill, or knowing what town/zip code you live in. If I am wrong, I will sincerely and humbly apologize.

For the record, many, if not most municipalities have tiered billing. Mine does too. The more I use, the more it cost me. Even the time of day and temperature affects my costs. On extremely hot days in the middle of the afternoon when demands on the entire metropolitan power grid are high, I pay more per kWh consumed. My scenario is pretty common.

I did not say your opinions are wrong. I said your facts are. If you put CPU efficiency at the top of your priority list, that's fine! I have no problem with that. But with Hawaii having the highest costs in the country and only averaging 27.5 cents, you can see how we have doubts about your $.50 claims.

I never suggested you give up and keep using your old CPU either. I said a CPUs efficiency should not be a "key" justification for paying more for a new CPU - unless, maybe, you run it at 100% 24/7/365 - which is highly unlikely.

As far as ignoring a poster, that's easy. You can put them on your ignore list, or just don't read their posts. But then you might miss the true facts. And you can focus your criticisms on me if you want. Doesn't bother me. But it should tell you something that I am not the only one here telling you CPU efficiency is but a minor factor in the grand scheme of thing.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
RyzenMaster looks like a lot of fun to play with on the fly.
ability to OC the core,mem,disable SMT and see the actual performance impact in game.

I don't seem to have that ability, mem wise anyway.

Additionally, the only justification I need is because I want it. Cost or anything else be damned. That is why I have a 3900x when a 3700x or even a 3600x would have been fine.

Last edited: