• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How does a post being qualified as "low quality"?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
So, how, in a thread allowed by @W1zzard to remain open to discuss pros and cons of his decision, do we now have a whole series of posts which are exactly ON-Topic, both pro and against it, that get the low-quality treatment?

You did have one person insulting the other two and getting angry, because they did not agree with his assertions against the subject.

This was not the correct usage of this. That guy should have been handled the old-fashioned way.

This is the absolute error of this system. Our 'mods', and they are our mods because they moderate us, do not have the ability to create a fair and consistent approach to this. @W1zzard - can you not see how this is already getting out of hand? Genuine, innoffensive discussion by @rtwjunkie - who is discussing a point of contention which is the political path of censorship- get's marked 'low quality post'. Your mods wizz are exactly starting to become what many of us are discussing.
I PM'ed you initially because i thought strongly about this. You suggested i post openly - you welcomeed it yet here are your mods marking down posts from regular guys who have said nothing low quality at all. The utter tripe randomness of moderation is TPU's achilles heel. As humble and cool as some of our mods are, they still have not got any structure on how this sytem works. Why on earth can you not simply get serious with serial offenders and have them banned? Tarring all posts that are, like, 5% off topic is moronic.

You have to concern yourself with the notion you're now pissing off a lot of the good guys that keep reasoned discussion (not me - I'm a tool) in place. Once these guys get disillusioned and leave it'll get worse. If you dont figure out a secure system that does not rely on a pre-menstrual mod to work on it, you'll lose visits and hence, income.
As for the moderation? A lot of guys on here seem to take their jobs with a sense of unwanted power (the best way). Others think they are better than the community and their word is law. Your word is law w1zz, yours and your alone. This is your site and all we can do is suggest our take on things and it's quite obvious this has not gone down well. Put your pride to the side with your new experiment and just let the mods impose draconian punishments for aggressive, rude or obnoxious posts. Dont let them destroy TPU by removing random humorous posts or ocassional comedy memes. By instigating low quality posts with absolute abandon, your are allowing TPU to wither and die.

Yes we want a good forum for good folk but thats what moderators are meant to do. I like TPU. I like the general feeling of belonging but the very recent swathe of 'low quality post' demotions surely show you the mods (some of them - again - inconsistent) aren't even allowing open debate on side topics.

Really sad day. Really bad moderation going on. Sorry mods - you get to be omnipotent but you need to take some flack. I'm sure I'll get some great reply but really, my point is irrefutable, humans are not consistent and subjective thread cleansing of 'low quality posts' is a minefield of personality confrontations.

The more 'low quality' markings I see in threads, the less I'll visit. I'm sure I wont be the only one.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So, how, in a thread allowed by @W1zzard to remain open to discuss pros and cons of his decision, do we now have a whole series of posts which are exactly ON-Topic, both pro and against it, that get the low-quality treatment?

You did have one person insulting the other two and getting angry, because they did not agree with his assertions against the subject.

This was not the correct usage of this. That guy should have been handled the old-fashioned way.
I think it may be because posts were just reiterating stuff already said? Just a guess though. Still, we're 13 pages in, I would think everything worth saying has been said already ;)

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I have one bug report: it seems this feature breaks alerts.

Normally when I click an alert, it takes me to the page in question and scrolls me to the alerted post. But if I click an alert to a post that has been deemed low quality, it just takes me to the page on which that post appears. IMO in this case, it should do the same thing as it used to, plus expand the low quality post.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I said a few pages back that people seems to have an awful lot of faith in mods. Mods are human. I prefer our AI overlords.

/s

/high quality guaranteed

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Yeah, I give that about 2 hours before someone decides to "get back" at some mod, or someone else, and starts down-voting mass quantities of posts, or even trying to push it over a few days, slowly down-voting more and more posts, which the mods would have to visit one by one.

And if that should start to happen then a warning / 7 day ban from forum use is given to the perpetrator if that does not work then a temp ban from the entire site

System Name midnight toker
Processor i7 Skylake QHQF (6700K ES) @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming OC @ 2080MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 75GB & 2TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor
Case Cooler Master MB511
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP2000 headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Mouse Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050
Keyboard same
Software Arch Linux, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
because, I am the curious type and will click on them, just because they are there... And, then I get a pissed mindset, as I, just wasted a few seconds of my time clicking and reading a post that was a waste to read anyway. Sucks to be curious, at times.
Happens to me on reddit all the time, but over time I'm starting to learn and ignore those posts

I have one bug report: it seems this feature breaks alerts.

Normally when I click an alert, it takes me to the page in question and scrolls me to the alerted post. But if I click an alert to a post that has been deemed low quality, it just takes me to the page on which that post appears. IMO in this case, it should do the same thing as it used to, plus expand the low quality post.
That's correct. The link anchor (what the stuff in the url after # is targeting) is invisible, so most browsers wont navigate to it

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The more I read the responses and shift in the tone of voice of this topic, I am convinced that if you want the userbase to change attitude, you either use the ban hammer to great effect or you start involving the users themselves in being the better man/woman. To facilitate the latter, I've provided a solid system that requires minimal mod activity and outsources a lot of that to the community, promoting and rewarding positive behaviour.

In the end a forum is like real life: you can create order in two ways: carrot or stick. I think you need both, and I think if you want to not make it a 24/7 job, you need to involve the userbase. Its all about marrying the strong arm of the law with 'teach a man to fish'... Right now a lot of us are fishing in a self-taught way that is capable of clearing out the pond for everyone else - look at the amount of low quality posts per page and how its number grows the longer this topic lasts. Let the community teach itself, and outsource that moderation, and all that's left is ban hammers for those who cross the line.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I find it funny that we had 8 pages of discussion on this topic, and it seems most did not take the point to heart.

Another funny thing, I can't think of another forum where this thread would take place, kind of curious.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Another funny thing, I can't think of another forum where this thread would take place, kind of curious.

So are you trying to goat me into something or is there an actual point or question that should be had from this?
W1zzard could have closed it day one once he explained what the new feature was, but he did not. Therefor, since the public is voicing their opinion on the matter, most in a civil manner, why is it then my job to close it?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
That's correct. The link anchor (what the stuff in the url after # is targeting) is invisible, so most browsers wont navigate to it

Well yeah, that's my point. You should throw some JS in the body onload event to check if the URL has an anchor present; if it does, check if the element being referred to is a link; if it is, and its containing element is hidden, show the containing element and scroll to the now-visible link.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
So are you trying to goat me into something or is there an actual point or question that should be had from this?
W1zzard could have closed it day one once he explained what the new feature was, but he did not. Therefor, since the public is voicing their opinion on the matter, most in a civil manner, why is it then my job to close it?

It was just kinda a random comment / observation. See that's the challenge with this place, everybody takes everything so personally.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
It was just kinda a random comment / observation. See that's the challenge with this place, everybody takes everything so personally.

Nothing personal, I am just blunt most of the time, and with confusion being easy to have with text, I was covering all options, as I was quoted. Seems you just wanted me to see said comment. Still for what reason, as I explained above, and since the staff did not start the thread, I still did not get the point of why I was quoted in particular. :confused: