• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Should iGPU be tweaked in comparison to CPU & Cache?

Not_Charles

I recently had to use throttlestop to undo some issues caused by the ASUS BIOS 313 update (I have an ASUS TUF Gaming F15 2021 Model, i7-11800H CPU and 3050Ti) and want to see if there's anything else I need to work on anything else.

1716601822108.png
1716601862081.png
1716601946839.png
1716601977301.png
1716602024472.png

I'm also getting EDP Other on CPU, iGPU, and RING, as well as c3 cstate demotion & undemotion on

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
With H series mobile processors, hardly anyone is using a fixed voltage. The Static setting prevents the voltage from increasing and decreasing as the MHz increase and decrease. Consider setting that to Adaptive in ThrottleStop like everyone else uses. Try setting a negative offset voltage of about -50 mV for the core and the cache to bring the Intel default Adaptive voltage curve more in line with the actual voltage that the CPU needs to be stable.

I always recommend checking the MMIO Lock box to prevent the MMIO power limits from interfering with the MSR power limits.

No one seems to check the PP0 Power Limit box. Most leave that box clear with the value set to 0.

For EDP OTHER throttling, I prefer to set IccMax to the max, 255.75, for both the core and the cache.

Your temperatures look OK. I would set all cores to the 42 multiplier. I like speed. Some users prefer cool and quiet. I like that too.

c3 cstate demotion & undemotion on
It is normal for most computers to have two of each of those checked. You can play around however you like with these. I do not know what is best for you and your computer. Some users find that some of the C state demotion / undemotion options can cause stuttering in game. You can also use ThrottleStop to disable all of the core C states. Not great for temperatures but disabling the C states can help reduce latency and it improves the smoothness when playing some games.

Not_Charles

With H series mobile processors, hardly anyone is using a fixed voltage. The Static setting prevents the voltage from increasing and decreasing as the MHz increase and decrease. Consider setting that to Adaptive in ThrottleStop like everyone else uses. Try setting a negative offset voltage of about -50 mV for the core and the cache to bring the Intel default Adaptive voltage curve more in line with the actual voltage that the CPU needs to be stable.

I always recommend checking the MMIO Lock box to prevent the MMIO power limits from interfering with the MSR power limits.

No one seems to check the PP0 Power Limit box. Most leave that box clear with the value set to 0.

For EDP OTHER throttling, I prefer to set IccMax to the max, 255.75, for both the core and the cache.

Your temperatures look OK. I would set all cores to the 42 multiplier. I like speed. Some users prefer cool and quiet. I like that too.

It is normal for most computers to have two of each of those checked. You can play around however you like with these. I do not know what is best for you and your computer. Some users find that some of the C state demotion / undemotion options can cause stuttering in game. You can also use ThrottleStop to disable all of the core C states. Not great for temperatures but disabling the C states can help reduce latency and it improves the smoothness when playing some games.
Thank you. Appreciated greatly

Try setting a negative offset voltage of about -50 mV for the core and the cache to bring the Intel default Adaptive voltage curve more in line with the actual voltage that the CPU needs to be stable.
I've been having a lot of WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error due to the ASUS 313 BIOS update, I would only go up to -30 through BIOS and don't entirely know what effect setting it to -50 would do since it had no effect at -30. My laptop has been more stable now since using throttlestop but wanted your thoughts on it relating to the WHEA errors

Add: I ended up trying setting the negative offset to -50mV and it would immediately freeze my laptop or cause a WHEA BSOD

Last edited:

unclewebb

The 11800H was Intel pushing their 11th Gen mobile CPU technology to the limit. When Intel reaches the end of the road, it is not surprising that there is very little headroom to undervolt. A -30 mV undervolt is not going to make a huge difference to anything. Do not sacrifice stability when trying to undervolt.

If you ever see WHEA errors or blue screens while undervolting, I would definitely increase the voltage.

Not_Charles

If you ever see WHEA errors or blue screens while undervolting, I would definitely increase the voltage.
I've tried using a higher undervolt (up to -30mV) and still crash, even when setting it to 125mV. Should I just leave the voltage setting as is?

unclewebb

Should I just leave the voltage setting as is?
Is your CPU 100% stable when you are not undervolting? Offset 0 mV for the core and the cache.

Adjust the voltage up or down until your computer is stable. An 11800H is more than 3 years old. The warranty period has expired. It might be difficult to get some older 10th and 11th Gen CPUs 100% stable with 0 WHEA errors.

PizzaUndervolt

11 gen undervolt headroom is very limited compared to champions like 6th gen that were able to do -200 very often
it still makes sense to try maybe -40 on cpu and -20 on cache, every little bit helps

Not_Charles

11 gen undervolt headroom is very limited compared to champions like 6th gen that were able to do -200 very often
it still makes sense to try maybe -40 on cpu and -20 on cache, every little bit helps

Thank you, honestly wouldn't get anywhere close to finding this out without the information

Not_Charles

I tried setting them to the values you stated and they didnt work, maybe my cpu just can't handle any negative offsets

dismission

TUF F17 i7 11800H very stable under load in power/battery and in all Asus power schemes, Silent etc....since 2 year
2x16gb and dual nvme, 90w battery
No way to run stable whit more two Threads @48/49/50

I never play games, I use the GPU for video conversions and 3D apps

1718200995659.png
1718201051245.png

1718200896521.png
View attachment 350968

Attachments

• 1718200793633.png
    1718200793633.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 9

Not_Charles

unclewebb

What settings do you have for your CPU Cache?
His screenshot shows that he is using a cache offset of -20 mV for his Performance profile and -30 mV for his battery profile. That seems to be the typical stable limit for the 11800H.

I tried setting them to the values you stated and they didnt work
That is why you should never waste your time using someone else's settings. CPUs are unique. If you are going to undervolt, you have to test each CPU individually to see how much voltage it needs to be stable.