• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to clean off dust from PC components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ati.bob

I live in a tropical place where dust is a majority. After just one month of running my PC, dust has started to appear on all of my components, especially the cards (PCI, AGP) and the CPU heatsink.. Is there any safe way to clean up these dust without damaging the hardware with electrostatic discharge current?

cram

You can buy little cans of compressed air specifically made for safely removing dust from computer components. I'm sure google can help you find something in your area.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
my vote goes to compressed air too

Xenn0X

jup same here i use AF Sprayduster cans. handy for those dust infected fans e.d:)
but in somecases i just use the vacuum cleaner:D works perfectly too.

zealot`grr

carefully vacuum every component, I usually clean fans with my fingers ;)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
vacuum cleaner can build up A LOT of static electricity

Ramine

use vacume cleaner, and a piantbrush, thats what we use in the computer shop, just dont hold the vacume infron of the fan too long, will ware out the fan, and will require some oil otherwise!

ramine

ati.bob

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I can find compressed air tins anywhere here.. but the vaccuming technique might work for the fans, most probably not for the electronic boards.. Is it possible to put oil into the stock P3 fan and normal ball bearing fan? Will the oil block the wire contacts inside the fan?

Ramine

yes you can reoil the fan, just take it off the heatsink, peel of the sticker on the back, and put a small amount of 3in1 oil, and then reseal, but with non thermal tape,:)

Ramine

Oh and vacuming the boards, will not damage them, just make sure you have antistatic before you start

ati.bob

Non thermal tape? what is that? Do you mean the I just peel off the sticker, re-oil, then paste the sticker back?

Vaccuming.. You mean discharge the brush before vaccuming it? Like touching the metal part of the case before vaccuming?

fr33ze

I recon you should hire an elephant from the local zoo for the day, try and hypnotise him so that he thinks the dust on your computer is really monkey nuts and then just watch as he sucks it all up. Last time i checked it was about £2.49 to hire one for the day, much cheaper than compressed air.

fr33ze

...oj

My vote goes for vacuuming if you can't get hold of compressed air. An old toothbrush can be useful as well for getting the fiddly bits. If you can find any fine mesh metal grills as well i've put that infront of all my intake fans and that stops any dust getting into the computer so i can just vacuum them easily with no worry of static....I'll try and find a pic of what i mean.

ati.bob

fr33zeAn old toothbrush can be useful as well for getting the fiddly bits. If you can find any fine mesh metal grills as well i've put that infront of all my intake fans and that stops any dust getting into the computer so i can just vacuum them easily with no worry of static....I'll try and find a pic of what i mean.

Thanks, but now I need to know that is it safe to use the normal touch-and-discharge technique (touch the metal part of the casing to remove any charge) on the vaccum brush before using to vaccum the PC electronics like PCI and AGP cards without damaging it with ESD..?

Speaking of fine mesh metal frills, I've been wanting to cut open the aluminium intake and exhaust port of the fans.. The stock casing comes with small 2.5mm holes spread in the matrix form, which in my view, can definately block the intake and exhaust of the air. Plus, the fans make terrile loud noise because of unable to take in or blow out the air... any suggestions/ideas on removing a part of the aluminium case to enlarge the intake/exhaust area on the casing where the fans are removed?

ati.bob

fr33ze said:
I recon you should hire an elephant from the local zoo for the day, try and hypnotise him so that he thinks the dust on your computer is really monkey nuts and then just watch as he sucks it all up. Last time i checked it was about £2.49 to hire one for the day, much cheaper than compressed air.

LOL :D

Slayerstaps

fr33ze said:

Man what a rip off i got one for 1.99 and i did not even have to hypnotise him. That was included in the price :D

fr33ze

^^ hey i live in a fairly remote area and they used to pre hynotise them in our area also but one customer wasn't very happy when he hired a couple of elephants and all they did was this...mmmmm, nice (second one down)

so they change the county policy, hypnotise your won elephants.

@ati.bob

invest in a dremel or some cheap replica and cut out the metal matrix bit completly because your right, all it does is restrict air flow and make the fans louder. You can then just use cheap fan covers that cost like 50p each or something. As for the fine mesh metal grills, i borrowed the ones i got from a factory that i was doing some part time work for, no idea where you can buy them (thinking about it that was really useful advise, buy these things that i don't know where you can get them from)

Slayerstaps

Hmm, i don think they are supposed to clean out there selfs. Maybe something went wrong did the guy get a refund ???

ati.bob

fr33ze said:
^^ hey i live in a fairly remote area and they used to pre hynotise them in our area also but one customer wasn't very happy when he hired a couple of elephants and all they did was this...mmmmm, nice (second one down)

Cool link and funny clips (thou a wee bit gross)! :D

Getting back to the topic..
Is there any other way of removing part of the metal without using a dremel?

fr33ze

if your lucky you might be able to do it with wire cutters, i managed to get through a grill with them when i was in a hurry one day, depends a bit if your case is steel or ali.

Gambit

LOL that is funny I have a vac story. one of the first times I was cleaning my pc out with a vac I went over the northbirdge fan and it made a sound like a dirtbike revving up, being easily amused I did it again...., needless to say a week later, I was replacing heatsink and fan. Oh well live and learn :rolleyes:

ati.bob

Haha.. Well, you learn somthing everyday..

I think my case is made from aluminium. Although it do not rust, I'm not really sure it's aluminium.. When I just bought it, it's shiny and now it's like a coarse surface.. Any idea what it is?

fr33ze

pics??, how easy does it scratch, if it's fairly easy then it's prob ali and is it fairly light or is it like a ton o bricks

ati.bob

I think it scratch easily.. the rough thing on the surface it like a layer of oxide (oxidised aluminium??!?) ... I try to get a picture of it if I can..

Status
Not open for further replies.