• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how to find out which program is using my COM1/2 port?

sumasage

Processor Opteron 170 Dual Core
Motherboard DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLi-DR
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB OCZ EL Platium Rev 2 DDR400 PC3200
Video Card(s) BFG nVida 7800 GT OC (256MB)
Storage 320GB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply Antec TruePower II 550W
Software M$ Win XP Pro
I have an older Palm PDA that sync using serial cable. When i sync it doesnt do anything so i decided to look in the HotSync Manager setup, it report that COM1 port is current not available and will open when it is available. I'm trying to find out which program/service is using that port. any software or ways to find out what is using the COM ports? Thanks.

D

Dynamic

You can get the USB Adaptor for that Palm i believe which will make your life much easier. First make sure all the settings in the CMOS is set for your Communication ports and please provide more information in detail regarding your system specs and do setup your sig including which CPU/RAM/MOTHERBOARD/VIDEOCARD/HD/CD-RW/DVD-RW you are running. Also include the OS along with PSU and case and such just do a search or look at mine in the System Specs pull down menu to see how i set mine up, good luck!

sumasage

Processor Opteron 170 Dual Core
Motherboard DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLi-DR
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB OCZ EL Platium Rev 2 DDR400 PC3200
Video Card(s) BFG nVida 7800 GT OC (256MB)
Storage 320GB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply Antec TruePower II 550W
Software M$ Win XP Pro
sorry about the system confusion, this is for a work computer, it is old so i'm not sure what hardware it is running. It is running windows 2000.