Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bacardi9966, Jul 16, 2007.
Please ship computer to me for diagnostic and possible repair.
It's the god-damned memory!
and its not the memory.
Why, because you don't have any in there?
lool i do but the computer worked before with this memory. then i rebuilt it teaching a friend how to build a computer, then now it doesn't display.
I managed to fry my cpu about 2 months back now through overvoltage...
It started as a BSOD when trying to boot into windows. I figured it may just be my windows is corrupt - so i tried booting a linux live cd... and got kernel errors XD
That's when i realized that my CPU wasn't coming back
The thing to note is that although the CPU is fried the mobo still posts and !attempts! to boot something
Re-seat the memory?
Memory working one day doesn't mean it can't develop errors.
have you tried swapping out the memory from another computer?
yea i've done that as well i basically have done everything possible. =[
fucken geeksquad!! at best buy. they charge $80 just for diagnosis.
doesnt your video card have an extra power input? Be sure you have replugged that I beleive Molex back in.
nah it doesnt have one only the 8800GTS and GTX has one.
So when teaching your friend, you completely disassembled and reassembled it? Maybe try that again?
Never -ever use the Geeksquad they will not fix any issue and they will coherse you into buying somthing you DONT need.
Ps I live In Roc NY and if you are near bye I can and will help you.
haha yea i did that alredy like 3 times. it should work but i dont know why =[. does any of the pins have anything to do with display?
oooo i wouldn't pay $80 for a diagnosis anyways. i live in Elk Grove,CA
then whats this
Edit: NVM its only on the GTS
reset your bios. maybe you frelled one of the bus settings.
lolll cant even access my BIOS
with the jumper to rest the bios
you mean the CMOS?
1) When memory is dodgy you nearly always get at least a beep so I doubt it's that
2) It could be either CPU or motherboard IMO. Why?
Because a couple of months my Athlon CPU died, and I got no beeps, no POST, nothing. I replaced the CPU with a Sempron for the time being and it was fine.
Fast-forward a month and exactly the same symptoms. Only this time it was the motherboard instead, so I replaced that (with this awful ECS board) and it works... err... better than when it wouldn't POST, doesn't overclock at all well though.
Anyway, my problem was identical to yours, so I'd say either CPU or motherboard.
So I'd recommend that you clear the CMOS first of all, and it that doesn't work then I would guess your motherboard is more likely to have broken (unless you shorted your CPU with thermal paste like I did) because that's generally more fragile.
The only way to know for sure which is broken would be to try the CPU in another board (which is known to work).
If all fans/HDD spinning,CPU fan plugged in etc,and still no post, I would go with trying new ram as well.
1. Clear CMOS using the motherboard jumpers.
2. Pull all other components except MOBO, CPU, HEATSINK+FAN, RAM and Videocard. Use only 1 stick of RAM.
3. Still no post, Try another CPU if you have a spare one.
4. Go to Fry's electronics (since ur in california, chances are that you have a store nearby), buy socket 775 CPU for testing purposes. Test it to troubleshoot. You have 15 days to return the CPU. No re-stocking fee and no questions asked. But please don't fry the CPU.
5. If it doesn't post still then its MOBO, if posts its the CPU.
6. Try a PCI video card. Also get this one from Frys.
7. Since ur already in the strore, buy a memory also.
8. Or u can buy MOBO, CPU, RAM and VC all from frys to troubleshoot and return which ever u don't need.
But you need LOTS and LOTS of TIME and PATIENCE.
Separate names with a comma.