• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP DL380 G5 Retired Gaming PC

System Name HP DL380 G5
Processor 2x Intel Xeon X5460 @3.16 Ghz
Motherboard HP DL 380
Cooling 6 60mm intake fans rated for 14k RPM max load
Memory 16GB of DDR2 667Mhz
Video Card(s) AMD XFX R7 360
Storage 3x 140GB 10K SAS JBOD
Display(s) 1x Hisense 42" TV
Case DL 380 G5
Audio Device(s) HDMI Out
Power Supply 2x 800w Proprietary PSUs
Mouse A cheap logitech wireless mouse
Keyboard Acer KU-0355
Software Windows 10!
Benchmark Scores Ill get around to em soon
About 3 years ago, I was left workstation-less with a shitload of old PSUs and server chassis, Over the while I refurbished 2 of my 3 DL380 G5 units and converted one into the machine I am using to type this right now. I'm not in the country(US)and don't have access to my current rig(blah blah blah)

My first bet was trying to install the GPU into one of the x16 slots in the PCI-Riser cage. My choice of GPU was a beginner's choice AMD R7 360 I had used in my previous computer. There are brackets seperating each of the physical PCI slots on the riser, So I took a pare of metal shears and cut the bracket out.

I took out one of the half height PCI plates and fished a PCI 6 Pin power connector into it to deliver power to my GPU via external PSU (Basiq BSU500 I think, Too lazy to look over). I jumped the green and black power pins to put the PSU into an On state so my graphics card received power.

Before putting the riser cage in, My HDMI port was obstructed and I had to cut out about half an inch of sheet metal to give just enough clearance to make the HDMI Connection, Months later in the winter I installed 2 brand new Xeon X5460s into the unit.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Sooooo what's the thread about? Is this a don't-show-but-tell or was there a question I missed.