• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Launches New MediaSmart Home Server for PCs and Macs

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
HP today launched a home server designed for use with both Windows and Mac computers. Based on the Microsoft Windows Home Server platform, the HP MediaSmart Server ex485/ex487 is a central repository for automatically backing up and accessing digital music, videos, photos and documents from multiple computers on a home network.

The MediaSmart Server automatically organizes files across all PCs, streams media across a home network and the Internet, and publishes photos to popular social networking and photo sharing sites.

"A growing number of digital-savvy households have both Windows and Mac computers, with hundreds and sometimes thousands of media files and documents scattered across these devices," said Jason Zajac, vice president of strategy, Worldwide Attach Group, HP. "The HP MediaSmart Server protects, stores and organizes this content from anywhere on a network so consumers can access and share it any place they are connected."

"HP continues to innovate on the Windows Home Server platform giving consumers even more options to enjoy and protect their precious memories and valuable data," said Charlie Kindel, general manager, Windows Server Solutions, Microsoft. "We believe consumers will embrace the new MediaSmart Server as one of the most exciting computing products for the home."

MediaSmart Server ex485/ex487 features include:
  • HP Media Collector: conveniently schedules the MediaSmart Server to copy and centralize digital files and libraries from networked PCs
  • Media Streaming: remotely streams photos and music to any Internet-connected PC or Mac
  • Server for iTunes: centralizes iTunes music libraries on the server for playback to any networked Mac or PC running iTunes
  • HP Photo Publisher: easily upload photos to Facebook, Picasa Web Albums and Snapfish
  • HP Photo Viewer: allows easy sharing of photos with friends and family
  • PC Hard Drive Backup: backs up networked PCs via the Windows Home Server backup feature
  • Mac Hard Drive Backup: backs up Macs running Leopard using Apple Time Machine software
  • Server Backup: duplicates designated shared folders to a separate hard disk drive
  • Online Backup: duplicates designated folders to Amazon's S3 online backup service for an additional layer of protection
  • Smart Power Management: can schedule times for server to go to "sleep" and "wake up," saving on energy costs
  • Processor: Intel Celeron, 2.0 GHz 64-bit. Two gigabytes (GB) of 800-MHz DDR2 DRAM now standard on MediaSmart Server
  • Expandability: additional drives can be added for up to 9 terabytes (TB)

"Customers are always looking for the right mix of features and ease-of-use when choosing digital home products," said Danielle Levitas, group vice president, consumer, broadband and digital marketplace at IDC. "HP's focus and investment in software allows it to deliver a home server with compelling features for Mac and PC users while offering a great customer experience that helps simplify the complexity of the connected home. This unique offering will help expand the home server market."

Pricing and availability

Manufacturer's suggested retail price for the HP MediaSmart Server ex485 with 750 GB of hard disk storage is $599 while the HP MediaSmart Server ex487 with 1.5 TB is $749.

The HP MediaSmart Server can be pre-ordered beginning on Jan. 5, 2009, from Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, Buy.com, Frys.com and NewEgg.com; it is expected to ship in February.

The first 200 consumers who visit HP Home & Home Office or call +1 888 271 2982 between Jan. 5 - 11, 2009, to reserve a MediaSmart Server and use coupon code "AC5674" will receive a $50 savings off their purchase. More information is available here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name I7 build
Processor I7 930
Motherboard EVGA x58 SLI LE
Cooling STOCK
Memory 3X2gb g-skill
Video Card(s) xfx 6950u
Storage W750b raid 0
Display(s) Vizeo 26" LED LCD
Case Rocketfish
Power Supply tx850
I wonder if these are upgradable like the older models

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I am LOVING the idea of the iTunes server. Now to get that software onto my non HP WHS rig. :toast:

This is a bit expensive for what it is but other than that it's a really good solution. At least it's much more versatile than any NAS device and HP do build a quality chassis.

Analog_Manner

System Name Analog Manner
Processor Pentium 4
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 8500GT
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 22" lcd
Case Thermaltake Armor, Aluminum
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 680W
Software Windows XP Pro 32-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't bench, sorry.
Sweet. These things kick ass. I have one of the older ones, they are great. The only problem I've found with them is really microsoft's fault; see after about six months of use there is this multi-gigabyte log file that screws everything up. If you don't purge it yourself every couple of months the whole system grinds to a halt.

I was looking at setting up a file and internet server for my house. Between my gf and I, plus my grandfather, there are three desktops, four laptops, a media center box that I am still trying to set up plus an xbox 360 . None of them were connected at all before I bought the 500GB model. Now they all share one internet connection, and one place has all of the files. With media center and WHS I can stream content from comcast on demand to any computer and tv in my house, as well as access files stored on other computers in my network. I've also started using webcams as security cameras around the outside of my house. After I get my taxes back I want to get a laser printer, because this thing can be a print server too.

There are a ton of neat projects people are working on, like controlling the thermostat in your house remotely (so i can turn the furnace on when I leave work). I have to say that Windows Home Server is the most user-friendly software I have ever used in my life, other than Solidworks.

Alternatively you could just install WHS on a box you build yourself, but these little units are pretty good.