• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hyland Headphones Adds Two New Models To Their Range Of Bespoke, Handmade High-End Headphones

System Name Mass Effect/Lost Ark
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming/Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S/AMD Wraith Max
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200/Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Mech 2x/MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSDs x2, WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB 1TB NVME M.2
Display(s) Acer XF270H 1920x1080p @ 144Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG ATX Mid Tower/CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Actis Nova 3 RGB
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 80+ Gold/Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse Thermaltake Level 10 M/Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Edition/Steelseries Apex 3 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro OEM 64bit/Ubuntu 22.04.1 64bit
I feel like these should come with a vinyl or 8 track player. :laugh: Nice retro look even with the plastic 3D printing.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
I feel like these should come with a vinyl or 8 track player. :laugh: Nice retro look even with the plastic 3D printing.
1629954721778.png

hylandheadphones

Hyland Rep
My son, who knows his headphones, sneered dismissively at these bespoke units and said that they look cheap. He wouldn't touch them with a barge pole? There is no pleasing some folk.

When pressed for specifics he (my son) doesn't like the wood.

It is too thick, he then showed me some high-end headphones as an example of what you should be aiming to emulate.

Me personally, I think the metalwork looks like you did it in a shed.

This is provided as constructive criticism.

Tardian
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you will excuse the analogy (which admittedly is imperfect, but holds up in more ways than one - both in terms of design philosophy, traditional production techniques, and price differential), some people buy Morgan cars, and they are unlikely to be the same people buying say, an Audi R8 and vice versa. Which is a long way of saying that I feel you may not be the intended target market?

If I am to assume that one of the high-end headphones your son pointed to is the HD820 then that is an ideal case in point - it's a fantastically well engineered headphone that is mass produced in multi-million dollar industrial production facilities using techniques that are way out of my reach. Alas, until I have access to Sennheiser (ie, never) levels of materials technology, I will have to continue making my headphones to the highest possible standard I can, using drill press, lathe, compound table and a couple of saws (and a 3D printer) in a garage workshop, my kitchen and indeed, my shed. Some people appreciate that personal touch and character, while others want the latest in materials technology - in which case, I have to say, Dan Clark's Stealth looks mighty impressive. Not cheap though!

In terms of the thickness of the wood (on the closed back model I assume?) I would love to be able to make them smaller (and lighter too), but a couple of factors precede it: the internal chamber needs to have enough space that energy generated from the back of the driver can be dispersed and absorbed so that it doesn't interfere with the working of the driver, and the wood needs to be thick enough to damp vibrations caused by that energy.

It's worth noting that "closed back headphones have more/better/meatier bass" is, in my experience, a common misconception. I think this is likely caused by a combination of cheap closed backs having boomy bass, and the most popular mid-fi open backs (Sennheiser 6XX, Grado) being somewhat sub-bass shy, which I reckon is mostly down to the size of the drivers used, and pad materials. My experience is that it is far harder to get decent sub-bass (and much of everything else, except for isolation) from a closed back design.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It's worth noting that "closed back headphones have more/better/meatier bass" is, in my experience, a common misconception. I think this is likely caused by a combination of cheap closed backs having boomy bass, and the most popular mid-fi open backs (Sennheiser 6XX, Grado) being somewhat sub-bass shy, which I reckon is mostly down to the size of the drivers used, and pad materials. My experience is that it is far harder to get decent sub-bass (and much of everything else, except for isolation) from a closed back design.
I believe you've just explained why I didn't hear a world of difference when I went from AKG K271 Studio (closed) to Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (semi-open). I mean, sure, they sound differently, but nothing like your average Internet open vs closed discussion would have you believe. In fact, I think I prefer the bass of the Beyerdynamic, but the mids and highs of the AKG. I keep going back and forth, though.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
We love the passion that goes into a Morgan car (great analogy BTW given the use of wood). We hope that our comments in no way stifle the passion of the intended market for your bespoke headphones.

We are Toyota GR 86 people, even though we could afford a much more expensive car (Porsche). So we are not your target market, but you have our respect nonetheless.

Your explanation regarding "the thickness of the wood" is sensible and persuasive.

We will consider further research regarding the alleged "more/better/meatier bass" common misconception ... which is code for we don't agree. ;)

Good luck. Stay safe. We respect craftsmanship.

Last edited:

hylandheadphones

Hyland Rep
Yeah, to be fair it's not a hard and fast rule - more an observation on something that seems to be like a piece of received wisdom in the headphone world that doesn't necessarily stand up to scrutiny - and definitely hasn't tallied with my experience and attempts to design effective closed back headphones. There are other factors at play of course, and there are closed back cans with great bass - Fostex TH6/900 spring to mind (though even these are not completely closed - semi open, but still more closed than open if you will). But if you look at most high end cans that are noted for their low bass response, they tend open: most of the Audeze LCD series and Abyss AB1266 spring to mind (which have a head start being planars with a large surface area) but among dynamic driver based cans you could point to, say, Klipsch HP-3, Kennerton Vali and ZMF Aeolus; all open backs using ≥50mm drivers and pads made from materials (leather/pleather) that tend less open than the straight foam of Grado cans, or velour/foam pads of the HD6XX series.

It strikes me that making closed back headphones that perform as well or close to open backs is a bit of a holy grail in the high-end headphone world - hence there being something of a furore around the release of the HD820 and Focal Stellia. Going on what I have been reading, it seems Dan Clark might have found it though, and huge credit has to be given for such an ingenious approach to the problem.

I just read that Morgan use Ash for their superstructure so that's another thing we have in common - it's my favoured wood to use too, though I can't imagine they like it for its tonal qualities!