• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I don't get SSHDs

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Just got a word that at some point in time, WD got in on the fun of expanding the caches, with the WD 12S12X (16GB+16MB), but it didn't go that well and it seems it was only sold for a year, more or less.

What I am talking about are PCIe M2 drives that have OPtane cache much the same way as an SSHD. You don't need a whole platform (just a lot of money) for Optane just a spare PCIe x8 slot it looks like for the 905P.

So, a whole platform then and that cost factor negates the advantage of having it for...let's say, just having a better external drive or plain laptop disk. :oops:
Also as an aside, SSHD's really DO NOT like it if you boot multiple OS's from them.
If you get really unlucky, you can actually brick the drive.

But I've never seen this discussed anywhere online - I guess it was a very extreme minority of SSHD users who also dual-boot linux apparently?
I would wager if you try to have it installed on the cache, maybe?

Reactions: Rei
The thing with Optane is the price and that you need a whole platform around it.
SSHD's requirement is a SATA port. :rolleyes:
In a way you can bypass anything proprietary about the Intel caching and just use a different program. They overall show up like normal drives. I don't know if it's hidden on the combined ones though, like the 8gb NAND is hidden on SSHD.