• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I fried my motherboard, should i upgrade the cpu as well? (i7 920)

anthell

My pc is dead... very dead. Due to my stupid mistake have totally fried my mobo.

Power outage hits my house a week ago. Soon after that, my pc started with the pc shutting down every 1hr or so which i decided to ignore. I assumed that my psu is faulty due to the outage and not my motherboard. Finally, 3 days later, it all came down to a mistake i made, detaching the NB heatsink, which i found out too late.... I repeatedly tried booting it up and it kept shutting down within 30sec to 1 minute. after 2 hrs of that , i looked at my mobo to notice that the NB was exposed. True enough my mobo is now gone.

At the repair center, they diagnosed total NB failure accompanied with come other chipset damages. The psu however, is totally safe. I would assume the power surge must have started it and fried the chipsets.

Now... what are the chances of 3 days of overheating + chipset damage, and a day of no heatsink NB overheating frying my i7 920? I did not overclock my cpu luckily, because i took that of 3 months ago to reduce fan noise, and i felt that i should conserve my cpu after overclocking it for 2 years.

If my cpu is fine, i would probably just get a replacement x58 mobo. But otherwise, im thinking of getting 3770k + z77 mobo.

thank you

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
the 920 is a good chip. All I'll say is this. If you have the money simply laying around, get a Z77 and 3770k, no question. If you dont, and you're wondering if its worth the money upgrading with a little burn in the wallet for some extra fps, then no, I'd keep the CPU.
Provided the damn thing works.

anthell

I am having difficulties diagnosing the cpu, hence my predicament. The repair center does not have any LGA 1366 mobo to test my cpu, so my only option would be to purchase one from ebay, hoping that my i7 is fine.

If i made the purchase just to find out i need a new cpu... i dont even know what to say.

I hope u guys had similar experience of frying ur mobo and tell me what are my chances

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Buy the board from somewhere you can send it back, ebay is just awkward if it doesnt work, cause nobody takes returns xD
I fried a chip, and mobo was fine. I've seen a board fry (due to power, not thermals) and take out a gpu, ram and cpu.
If your socket didnt have a failure, and the NB just melted into itself, the cpu will likely be fine.

anthell

Thx for ur replies rcoon.

U mentioned the mobo taking out gpu, cpu, ram when power surge damages it. well, my gpu and ram is indeed fine. they tested those out just fine. can i assume that my cpu is fine as well?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Certainly sounds fine to me, rarely does something take out a single cpu socket and nothing else, thermal damage is usually confined to the board anyway. If the NB thermals melted, then it would just cut power.