1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need a file server.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by newtekie1, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i would suggest 5400rpm drives, they run a whole lot less hot and thats a good thing.. also they tend to last a little longer for me.

newtekie1 says thanks.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was torn between the Seagate LP drives and the WD Blacks...

I think I will go with the LP drives instead, I don't think the Blacks will be needed, though the WD drives do have a 5 year warranty... Hmmm...now I'm torn again...

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    In the near future I'm going to build a home server with this one:

[​IMG]
    Obviously I plan on putting it in a Q08.

Can't vouch for the board yet, just can say that I like it's features. Intel NIC, IPMI, onboard USB port, and a PCI x16 (x4) slot - which I'm going to use for a tv tuner or largest folding card that will fit there.

The RAID is ICH9R. Going to be good enough for my needs. There's always the PCIe slot for a nicer controller.

edit: After using 24 RE3's at work, and several Blacks/Blues in my home systems, I'm getting Blacks for mine! :D

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    There you go :)[​IMG]

After doing this, its not real practical. You could go with a lower end mini itx board but you lose the pci-e if you ever wanted to add a raid card.

2gb of ram vs your 8 (why 8?)

Lian Li is the only ITX case with more than 1 x 3.5 bay so thats a bit pricey.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    newtekie1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    if i was going to make a file server for more than a handfull of users i would go with atleast a core2duo or an AMD X2 chip.
    i used an atom board for my server but i found that file copying and reading is very cpu intensive when you start doing more than one at a time and the atom was just not fast enough. because it was very single threaded and i was constantly having one core maxed out. if you couple that with onboard or software raid it will grind to a halt. thats why i was forced to upgrade to a e6300 but any core 2 should do even a celeron as long as its a dual core.

newtekie1 and 3volvedcombat say thanks.
  6. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    My thought exactly.

Grab a e6500 and play with your FILES!

newtekie1 says thanks.
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Can get an mATX case pretty cheap though.

OTOH, that Lian Li would raise my morale at work! ;)

newtekie1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but recommend a system based on a motherboard with Intel's ICH10R chipset, and suggest you run three or four HDDs in RAID 5 (determine capacity of HDDs to be used based on how much overall capacity is needed). For power consumption and reliability, go with low-RPM HDDs. RAID 5 across four small-capacity drives would address performance where performance is needed on a server (disk access) while providing good data security. Dual gigabit LAN wouldn't hurt—even if you can't saturate a single gigabit connection with the drives you install originally, upgraded HDDs down the line might benefit.

The 450VX you listed would be fine ... I'd use a 400CX.

drdaver, coljarcker and newtekie1 say thanks.
  9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    All good suggestions. Though I went with the AMD platform because of the native SATA 6Gb/s support and the seemingly longer lasting socket, though I guess with the drive I plan on getting and the fact that they probably will never upgrade the server once it is installed that is kind of pointless.:laugh: Is the ICH10R controller that much better than the SB850 controller?

I'm not worried about performance so much, they have a 100Mb/s network, and won't be upgrading any time soon(the building is wired with Cat5, not Cat5e, just regular old Cat5 so no Gigabit without an entire re-wire, and they aren't doing that ever...). And actually, the performance of their current server is fine for them really, the only reason they are replacing it is because it is dying.

I actually prefer fewer larger drives than more smaller drives. If I go with a 2 Drive RAID1 setup, one drive can fail, and I'll be fine. If I go with a 3-4 Drive RAID5 array, one drive can fail and I'll be fine, but because there are more drive, I'm more likely to have one fail.

10. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Check my server specs. Its probably got $6-700 in it and i bought most of it second hand and it works great (for the most part now that I found my networking issue)

I think your original build is good but skip the 8gb. not needed at all.

newtekie1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, kind of just reworked the original. Switched to an Intel processor with a P55 board and dropped down to 4GB.

What was your networking issue anyways, I remember that thread?

12. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Intel just plain has more time and effort into their integrated RAID solutions so typically the performance is better than what you get from AMD. Does it really matter? Truth be told, probably not.

Especially not for this case from the sound of it. It sounds like you could just toss in a low-end AM2/AM2+/AM3 board and CPU and they'd be more than happy with that and RAID 1 across two 1TB drives.

Edit to add: what kind of warranty do you offer with your systems? Just curious as a fellow builder.

13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I offer a 1 year warranty for free on the hardware with the option for a 3 year warranty for $100(which works out fine since I almost always use parts with at least 3 year manufacturer warranties anyway).

TIGR says thanks.