• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5 10210U, PL1 and PL2.

joaovitorlacerda51

Man, I have a Samsung X45 notebook, the 2021 models respectively, and I initially noticed a problem while playing games on it. This notebook has an i5 10210U and an MX110, but like many thin notebooks, I noticed it has a temperature and TDP limitation. Its GPU, which is an MX110, and the 10th generation i5 processor have some issues. The GPU itself has a maximum clock of 1006 MHz, but when I played for a long time and checked the temperatures and the package using MSI Afterburner, I noticed it had a Power Limit 2 lasting about 42 seconds, reaching around 47 watts. So, when I opened a game, the FPS would shoot up, but then it would drop to Power Limit 1 and stay around 15 or even 10, because above 75 degrees it also limited, and at PL1 it was limited to 65.

Here's the problem: the MX110 GPU has a clock limiter when it reaches 65 degrees. Exceeding 65 degrees, its clock drops by more than half and it runs at 405 MHz. When it heats up even more, it drops to as low as 305 MHz. Similarly, the TDP limiters on the processor caused it to run at a maximum of 1,300 MHz in-game, being well utilized in VALORANT, while its boost clock is 4.1 GHz. I solved this problem, which is quite common in thin and ultrathin notebooks, like the Samsung Galaxy Ultrabook 4, which has great hardware but cannot be fully utilized due to its construction and cooling. I solved the issue by increasing the Power Limit 1 and 2 of my processor using ThrottleStop. For PL1, which was 15 watts, I increased it to 30 because in more robust notebooks with this processor, it can have a PL1 of 30 and PL2 of up to 55 watts. So, I also changed PL2 to 45 and set the Turbo Time Limit to 32 seconds.

Using a cooling pad, I tested the temperatures and noticed that the processor was behaving very well, reaching a maximum of 80 degrees. This was in a very thin notebook with only one fan and a simple heatsink. I also tested without the cooling pad and noticed it increased by about 10 degrees, but I stabilized the temperatures at 75-80 degrees Celsius with the cooling pad. This also applies to the GPU, which, under stress, if it exceeded 65 degrees, its clock would cut drastically. To resolve this, I simply opened a program called GPU Tweak 3 and increased its temperature limit to 98 degrees Celsius. Then, I increased its turbo clock by 100 MHz to reach 1106 instead of 1006 MHz. Stressing the processor and GPU with the increased limits, both in temperature and package in watts, my notebook’s performance increased by 167% in Valorant. So, for anyone with this notebook and other ultrathins with these limiters, I hope this helps.

AND YES, I KNOW IT CAN DAMAGE THE VOLTAGE REGULATORS AND THE COILS OF THE NOTEBOOK'S MOTHERBOARD, BUT MEASURING WITH A THERMAL CAMERA, IT DIDN'T EXCEED 80 DEGREES CELSIUS ON THE NOTEBOOK BODY AND THE MOSFETS AND COILS, WHICH HAVE A MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 135 AND AN EFFICIENT TEMPERATURE OF 85. THE HOTTEST POINT WAS THE DC JACK AREA, WHICH REACHED 80 BUT DID NOT EXCEED THAT.