• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'd like people thoughts...

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Because sometimes mine make no sense lol :)

So in all seriousness.. I love collecting hardware, it's what I do since I can't hardly drink, don't smoke, want to leave something for my daughter/s when I'm no longer around and so on but I was wondering if anyone or someone or a lot of people might have an opinion on what to collect..
I'm a big fan of EVGA, despite any issues we see and such, I'd like to collect their GPUs.

I've got a few here already, but I was wondering whether or not people might suggest the top dog cards (such as Classified's, Kingpin's and so on) or perhaps a Superclocked model instead? I was toying with the idea of getting fully boxed cards like the GTX 970/980/980 Ti but I was curious to go for the base models or something a little higher up the range??

What might any of you do if you were going to collect such things? I've a few things I'm keeping my eyes on on Ebay, ideally I'd love to get things through the forum, as some of the things I've seen and bought over the time through Ebay scare me and I'd just like to know that what I'm getting has been looked after, respected and so on.. Being on this site I hope we are all enthusiasts so we would look after our hardware, whatever it might be...

Maybe I am rather loopy, but I can't help that too much, so I apologise in advance to anyone who thinks I'm crazy :)

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Only collect the top dogs. Other ones ain’t worth shit for occupying the space.

Unless that specific card has some deep personal memory.

Edit: OK you are trying to collect something for your daughter? Then GPU is HORRIBLE. I mean what is she gonna do with those? Most likely she will just dump them out to landfill.

Collect money for her. That is the best thing for your daughter.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Only collect the top dogs. Other ones ain’t worth shit for occupying the space.

Unless that specific card has some deep personal memory.

Edit: OK you are trying to collect something for your daughter? Then GPU is HORRIBLE. I mean what is she gonna do with those? Most likely she will just dump them out to landfill.

Well the hardware will probably earn me more money than the money I already have for her saved up... She is building her own PC now and helping me when I do hardware work, so she's learning :).. All of my collectables will end up with her :) Same goes for the house and such too :)

Still, you're making sense even to this crazy person ;)

Collecting anything is a very personal hobby. Do what make you happy! If you want to collect a sample of model from each generation of GPU's, go for it.
Gonna have to agree with xkm1948 on this one. Collecting should only be done for you as a personal thing. If you want to leave your children anything, leave them a house or investment portfolio along with some personal, sentimental items for them to remember you by.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Well the hardware will probably earn me more money than the money I already have for her saved up... She is building her own PC now and helping me when I do hardware work, so she's learning :).. All of my collectables will end up with her :) Same goes for the house and such too :)

Still, you're making sense even to this crazy person ;)

I would try to collect something that may help my daughter in life down the road, either directly monetary support or emotional support. Been doing both. For the memory/emotion support I have been building photogrammetry in VR for all the major places my daughter has been to and loved so she can "teleport" back to those memories when she grow older. For example the hospital room she was born in I actually just finished mapping it in VR. She is too young to apperciate it now but in the future, as you said when we are gone, she can have the memory. Not just a flat photo memory, but actual 3D spaces with sound she can explore.

Always have haters say VR is useless. While as tool to preserve memory it works amazingly well. Maybe @Mindweaver has done something similar?

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I like it, that's amazing for you to do that for your daughter :)

I take far too many pictures and a little while ago I showed my daughter being in my ex's 'tummy' and she was crying because of it :) I said this was you moving about...
My girl friend is 6 months pregnant at the moment, my daughter doesn't see us much but the last few times she's been down, she's taken my music box from when I was a baby, put it on my girl friends tummy and then felt our baby kicking..

Such memories are so hard to keep and explain but my daughter is amazing and she's loving all of it :) I really do miss her very much when she's not with us and when we can't talk but I digress :)

I maybe mad but I'm a damn big softie at heart :)
Back to topic, I think I'll hold out for the top end cards and such.. I don't need masses of them, but if I can find one of each type (970/980 and 980 Ti for example) that will be perfect for me :)