• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If going the pad route for CPU/GPU, which one you would suggest? Coollaboratory vs Innovation Cooling

If ever going the pad route for CPU/GPU, which one you would suggest:

Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad 3xCPU + Cleaning kit (4260157580060):
https://www.amazon.com/Coollaborato...aboratory&qid=1635894333&sr=8-5&tag=tec06d-20

Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad – Alternative to Thermal Paste/Grease (30 X 30 mm):
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CKVW18G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ic+graphite+thermal+pad&qid=1640772282&sprefix=IC+grap,aps,257&sr=8-1

IC Graphite High Compression Thermal Pad (40X40mm 5-Pack):
https://www.amazon.com/IC-Graphite-Compression-Thermal-40X40mm/dp/B08XNYHYCH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ic+graphite+thermal+pad&qid=1640772291&sprefix=IC+grap,aps,257&sr=8-2

For ASUS G513QY Laptop with Ryzen 9 5900HX / RX6800M GPU, I suspect the chamber is not flat even on CPU's side as paste performance degrades faster on CPU than on GPU, and Pad could be the answer to uneven chamber surface if I understand it right.

But before buying and trying pads, I am going to try SYY157 on the CPU.

Two days ago I got my SYY157 and Iceberg FuzeIce Plus arrived from USA, I applied Iceberg on CPU and SYY on GPU.

While GPU with SYY157 continue to keep the better temps since repaste,
CPU with FuzeIce Plus, seems to have certain degradation, first day (when repasted),
CB23 with GT500 cooler at max speed, gave me 14K and max CPU temp was around 88c,
day - two later, CB23 with GT500 Cooler max speed, would kick into 95-96c soon as bench starts and score lower too, 13600-13900 range. TimeSpy CPU day one of repasting was maxing around 88-91c today we see 93c with GT500 and 95-96c (its max temp limit as set by ASUS) without GT500.

SYY was twice much harder to apply, since its so thick, you smear it in one area, and it catches itself and moves around, was a hard moment...so gonna be interesting apply SYY again, this time on both dies, but this thickness and viscousness of SYY probably exactly what is gonna make it plumb and stay in place on CPU in its form and hopefully not degrade so fast at all...
:)
right?

Your feedback is welcomed,

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 185158

I'd pick the 40x40mm pads. My vote is...

I'd pick the 40x40mm pads. My vote is...

Those would do better if laptop chamber has uneveaven placement on CPU's die?
Have you tried those yourself or know someone who did?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 185158

Those would do better if laptop chamber has uneveaven placement on CPU's die?
Have you tried those yourself or know someone who did?

Thanks!
I picked the larger set because you can trim what you need off.

If you have un-even surface mating, a paste might be a better resolve as it's capable of filling gaps better than a pad.

I picked the larger set because you can trim what you need off.

If you have un-even surface mating, a paste might be a better resolve as it's capable of filling gaps better than a pad.

Well uneven surface could cause some pastes pump out/vaporize, I am going to try SYY on CPU I think since it does so well on GPU's die.

But it also could be that the chamber simply not pressure mounting strong enough on CPU's side, where pad can solve the issue.

So if SYY will degrade quickly on CPU same as Fuzeice Plus did in this 2 days (I hope it won't since SYY is very veryt thick, and hopefully plumb there and wont degrade/move quickly), then I surely should try the pad as if pastes doesn't do it, as Pad would not pump out, evaporate and/or turn into watterish drops like GC extreme did on this CPU before....

As for IC Graphite High Compression Thermal Pad (40X40mm 5-Pack), you know anyone who tested/tried it? I understand correctly, that it will basically de-compress/enlarge itself once placed there...and then it will fill the gaps?

Last edited:
Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
Right be careful with those pads as they actually work far more like Thermal paste than you realise. Technically they are pads until the first time they hit hight temps then they "melt" into the gaps

Right be careful with those pads as they actually work far more like Thermal paste than you realise. Technically they are pads until the first time they hit hight temps then they "melt" into the gaps

These happening to IC Graphite pads? they claim 400c sustainable temp...\

Anyway, I hope SYY157 thanks to its thickness and viscousness, will win my CPU's heart and plumb there and won't degrade in days like Fuze and GC did..... but actually give on CPU as good performance as it does on the GPU die. Then I have no reason to buy and try the pads.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
These happening to IC Graphite pads? they claim 400c sustainable temp....
Never mind this is a different pad that I am thinking of. There was one out there that you had to get them to 80ish degrees then the pad suddently "started working"

Looking at the IC Graphite Pads they are meant to be extremely thin. "Looking a little deeper it appears that IC's product is 0.0125mm thick"

How bad is the warp on the cold plate on the cooler? Does the paste visably seem "thicker" in one area than the other when you go to take the cooler of after an application? As in it looks like the paste has been squeezed out of only certain areas of the die?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I wouldnt give a well tarnished penny to Innovative Cooling in general, but that is me.

How easy it is for many to forget ;)

Never mind this is a different pad that I am thinking of. There was one out there that you had to get them to 80ish degrees then the pad suddently "started working"

Looking at the IC Graphite Pads they are meant to be extremely thin. "Looking a little deeper it appears that IC's product is 0.0125mm thick"

How bad is the warp on the cold plate on the cooler? Does the paste visably seem "thicker" in one area than the other when you go to take the cooler of after an application? As in it looks like the paste has been squeezed out of only certain areas of the die?

Few weeks ago GC Extreme was applied on GPU and CPU, and oh boy, GPU hotspot was going 99c and CPU stuck at 95-97c (it kinda limited to 95c zone by ASUS, where it slow it self down at that point so it doesnt go hotter). Then 2 days ago, I moved to SYY and Iceberg fuzeice plus, I placed SYY on GPU and iceberg on CPU.

First day all was wonderful, next day CPU started give less and less good of results, i guess now it "stabilized" somewhere around 4-5c higher than 1st repaste day, GPU same time keep it up well and cool as it was 2 days ago when repasted. So I suspect FuzeIce either needed more beefy amount of pasting (which I doubt since I pasted both die and chamber) or simply not a good fit to this CPU and chamber. I hope SYY would do much better due to the reasons known earlier and due to how well it does on GPU's die.

When I opened the chamber to replace FROM gc extreme.... CPU for sure had the paste uneven, some areas was pasty while others around and in center were watterish drops, lack of paste pretty much.

Photo:

White thing is K5 Pro (thermal padding for VRM/VRAM)

I wouldnt give a well tarnished penny to Innovative Cooling in general, but that is me.

Other cpu/gpu pad that you would suggest instead? if I will go this route...of pads.

D

Deleted member 185158

Well uneven surface could cause some pastes pump out/vaporize, I am going to try SYY on CPU I think since it does so well on GPU's die.

But it also could be that the chamber simply not pressure mounting strong enough on CPU's side, where pad can solve the issue.

So if SYY will degrade quickly on CPU same as Fuzeice Plus did in this 2 days (I hope it won't since SYY is very veryt thick, and hopefully plumb there and wont degrade/move quickly), then I surely should try the pad as if pastes doesn't do it, as Pad would not pump out, evaporate and/or turn into watterish drops like GC extreme did on this CPU before....

As for IC Graphite High Compression Thermal Pad (40X40mm 5-Pack), you know anyone who tested/tried it? I understand correctly, that it will basically de-compress/enlarge itself once placed there...and then it will fill the gaps?
With paste, you want to see a slight push-out. This indicates you're using enough paste.

If your paste evaporates outside the contacting points of cpu and heat sink, it doesn't matter. You're not transferring heat outside the surface mating anyways.

Either way, this your gear. I think trial error and experimenting will be just cause for your endeavors!

With paste, you want to see a slight push-out. This indicates you're using enough paste.

If your paste evaporates outside the contacting points of cpu and heat sink, it doesn't matter. You're not transferring heat outside the surface mating anyways.

Either way, this your gear. I think trial error and experimenting will be just cause for your endeavors!

When I opened the chamber to replace FROM gc extreme.... CPU for sure had the paste uneven, some areas was pasty while others around and in center were watterish drops, lack of paste pretty much.

Photo:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/892481927590846524/924662401922662410/IMG_20211225_195530.jpg

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/892481927590846524/924662433874870272/IMG_20211225_195515.jpg

I think SYY157 should be decent instead fuzeice and should not end up to be what GC Extreme turned into above photos.... will try, worst case (hope not) if SYY won't do well on CPU as it does well on GPU's die, always can get a pad to try.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Other cpu/gpu pad that you would suggest instead? if I will go this route...of pads.

It has been years since I bought thermal pads, but at that time, Im sure most of us were buying a larger sheet of whatever was available and cut it down to fit the need.

Nevertheless, IC is run by terrible people. If you want to give them money, that is your call to make.

Last edited:
It has been years since I bought thermal pads, but at that time, Im sure most of us were buying a larger sheet of whatever was available and cut it down to fit the need.

Nevertheless, IC id run by terrible people. IF you want to give them money, that is your call to make.

Besides being terrible people, their pads actually bad?

D

Deleted member 185158

Photo:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/892481927590846524/924662401922662410/IMG_20211225_195530.jpg

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/892481927590846524/924662433874870272/IMG_20211225_195515.jpg
Trough the years, I've come to the conclusion the removal process makes TIM go this way or that way and never a for sure indicator of what it looks like when actually compressed and in use.

So you can pull the sink off slightly left or right.... slide it off, the paste always looks different.

My main concern is seeing burnt paste, but generally that's on old picks with very aged systems 10+ years without thermal paste being replaced. HP, Dell systems typically will have paste that will dry and then actually look to be cooked.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11

Just so you can educate yourself ;)

You dont have to read it all, but you will find that things got really bad really fast.

Trough the years, I've come to the conclusion the removal process makes TIM go this way or that way and never a for sure indicator of what it looks like when actually compressed and in use.

So you can pull the sink off slightly left or right.... slide it off, the paste always looks different.

My main concern is seeing burnt paste, but generally that's on old picks with very aged systems 10+ years without thermal paste being replaced. HP, Dell systems typically will have paste that will dry and then actually look to be cooked.

1. My photo had any cooked paste?
2. Well, --maybe-- you right and GC was fine when it was compressed and un-opened, but it certainly did not perform well, it performed very bad both cpu and gpu. Now with SYY on GPU same situations it was 99c hotspot, now it gives me 88-92c tops. CPU is the concern, I thought I would try hybrid, iceberg on CPU and SYY on GPU, and the CPU one, literally degraded hard in 1-2 days lol. So I guess I need make myself emotionally ready spend weekend 4-5 hours for clean and re-paste this time both dies with SYY157. SYY is much more thicker and viscouess but that what potentially make it good and hopefully it will plumb stick and stay in its form for long time and wont degrade fast :) if SYY won't do the job on CPU which i hope wont occur, then I guess time to try pads....

D

Deleted member 185158

Nope. Actually decent.
I use the IC diamond nano paste. Got it free from Mr.Scott.

Tough and thick. I actually use a little space heater to warm the paste so application is easier.
Have also applied it to lid-less PGA 2700X and the like (cause I like to delid shit), but seems to work pretty well.

The pads, cannot speak from experience, but a 35wm/k is fine, better than most pastes actually.

The politics behind the owner of that company I ignore. The stuff was free to me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to send them money. Just wanted to share the experience with the paste it's self.

Nope. Actually decent.
I use the IC diamond nano paste. Got it free from Mr.Scott.

Tough and thick. I actually use a little space heater to warm the paste so application is easier.
Have also applied it to lid-less PGA 2700X and the like (cause I like to delid shit), but seems to work pretty well.

The pads, cannot speak from experience, but a 35wm/k is fine, better than most pastes actually.

The politics behind the owner of that company I ignore. The stuff was free to me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to send them money. Just wanted to share the experience with the paste it's self.

So IF (*hope not*) SYY won't do well on CPU, the HC red pads is the best option, better than their blue pads?

D

Deleted member 185158

1. My photo had any cooked paste?
2. Well, --maybe-- you right and GC was fine when it was compressed and un-opened, but it certainly did not perform well, it performed very bad both cpu and gpu. Now with SYY on GPU same situations it was 99c hotspot, now it gives me 88-92c tops. CPU is the concern, I thought I would try hybrid, iceberg on CPU and SYY on GPU, and the CPU one, literally degraded hard in 1-2 days lol. So I guess I need make myself emotionally ready spend weekend 4-5 hours for clean and re-paste this time both dies with SYY157. SYY is much more thicker and viscouess but that what potentially make it good and hopefully it will plumb stick and stay in its form for long time and wont degrade fast :) if SYY won't do the job on CPU which i hope wont occur, then I guess time to try pads....
The paste application in those pictures look very very decent. Just a touch of push-out and full coverage.

My favorite paste of all time (that's seldom reviewed) is Antec Formula 7 diamond nano. And yes on de-lidded chips. Yes it takes etching when wiped across IHS plates. But it has great consistency, and does the job. Not better than all the pastes out there, but I think the ratings for the wm/k are actually low on the spec sheets.

Problem with this, you can't make the heat sink bigger and better. :(

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
The politics behind the owner of that company I ignore.
I can see how lying, cheating, and stealing can be confused with politics. Last bit on the topic, I made my point ;)

The paste application in those pictures look very very decent. Just a touch of push-out and full coverage.

My favorite paste of all time (that's seldom reviewed) is Antec Formula 7 diamond nano. And yes on de-lidded chips. Yes it takes etching when wiped across IHS plates. But it has great consistency, and does the job. Not better than all the pastes out there, but I think the ratings for the wm/k are actually low on the spec sheets.

Problem with this, you can't make the heat sink bigger and better. :(

So if application was good, it simply means GC did a bad, very bad job in performance, why? could be bad revision of gc extreme...who knows.

So IF (*hope not*) SYY won't do well on CPU, the HC red pads is the best option, better than their blue pads?

D

Deleted member 185158

I can see how lying, cheating, and stealing can be confused with politics. Last bit on the topic, I made my point ;)
This is why I come here just a little bit and read mostly.

DONT EVER quote me again without putting in the rest of the story. I don't have time for this kind of bullshit.

Let me finish the quote FOR you now.....

but I wouldn't go out of my way to send them money.

So if application was good, it simply means GC did a bad, very bad job in performance, why? could be bad revision of gc extreme...who knows.

Needs larger cooling apparatus!! That is all. (and probably air flow breathage too)

Edit: Get the highest rated wm/k, never mind the colors.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
This is why I come here just a little bit and read mostly.

DONT EVER quote me again without putting in the rest of the story. I don't have time for this kind of bullshit.

Let me finish the quote FOR you now.....

Sorry bro, relax.

I saw what you wrote in its entirety. The only part I made a point on is what I quoted. I didnt quote the rest as it isnt needed, as its in your post.

If I were trying to be a dick, I would have quoted the opening, where you say the pads are good to the OP, then say you never used them, but I took the high road, to which you seem to have issues with.....lol

D

Deleted member 185158

And another thought, paying attention to the thickness would be wise.