• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Impressions of Google's Project Stream: Game Streaming in 2019 Actually Seems Feasible

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
Streaming is the future, whether people like it or not. Nobody is going to want to pay $1000 for an XBOX.

Assuming they offer this at an affordable price, getting new releases for a monthly fee is going to be VERY attractive. If you can afford a high-end computer, maybe not, but to the vast majority of mainstream gamers, yes.

not really following the argument here..
Not that long ago you may have bought a q6600 and a 8800 gt which for those 2 components new on release would have been about $1200 ..
a few years later you could buy a a8-8350 for $135 which was near identical performance..

hardware gets better and the low end stuff becomes as good as the old highest end stuff And as stated, you would be better off throwing together a pc that can run 1080p low settings constant 30fps than suffer with any sort of input lag. And a system like that really does not cost much in this day and age. You only really need to start throwing money at pc's when your trying to run higher refresh rates at higher resolutions.
I'm pretty happy gaming at 75hz 1920x1200 So my system does not need to be as powerful as many of the ones other forum members own.

Processor I7 4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97 Pro
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Platinum 16GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage PNY SSD 960 x2
Display(s) ASUS 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 450D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Glorious Model O w/DreamCables paracord
Keyboard Ducky Sine 5 YOTG
Software Win 10 Pro
I can see the market for it. Just won't be for eveyone.

System Name CS Prime
Processor i7-5775C @4ghz eDRAM @ 2ghz
Motherboard Z97 Sabertooth USB 3.1 Mk1
Cooling Corsair H90
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3L @ 2ghz x2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080
Storage 512GB NVMe MyDigitalSSD BPXP, 4TB SATA WD Blue
Display(s) Q900RB
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-X3700H
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 650
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard MX Keys
I participated in the test too. I was just curious to see how well it worked and I would say it worked pretty well. Worse than a good PC, but better than consoles I've used. Had a tiny problem with input lag that was about it. I switched from wireless mouse/keyboard to wired xbox and it was great.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
It could. I think telecoms are more limited by old infrastructure. They’d probably have to run a lot of new cable to get 1Gbps out to their customers the way it works now. Google dumped billions into their fiberhood project and even they have hit the pause button to see if they can get wireless going instead. Curious how that will do, regarding latency and all. The last city I lived in had a wireless-only distribution model, and it was not a very popular service despite being competitively priced.

Google stopped b/c ATT keeps suing and tying it up in courts for years. It's not worth it. They pay off the judges and politicians so why bother.

Cable already does 940 Mb. The telcos have been paid countless billions to have fiber in nearly every home (which was to be complete nearly two decades ago) and nothing has been done. Good ol fraud with telcos and politicians. Surprise.

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
Won't happen due to latency. But hey, it's a Google project, they will abandon it in a year or two anyways.

Basically, why I stopped buying google products. The support is non-existent after 24 months.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I want this to be a thing, but it will never ever replace local machines. The reason is input lag. You can't play CS effectively with 35ms of input lag. It's just not going to happen, ever.

And it doesn't matter if you have a gigabit connection or a 100 gigabit connection... The speed of electrons is the speed of electrons. And when we have world-wide fiber, the speed of light is the speed of light. A signal is not going to make it across the country in time to have acceptable input timing for those of us who are sensitive to it. Not ever. It's physically impossible.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I want this to be a thing, but it will never ever replace local machines. The reason is input lag. You can't play CS effectively with 35ms of input lag. It's just not going to happen, ever.

And it doesn't matter if you have a gigabit connection or a 100 gigabit connection... The speed of electrons is the speed of electrons. And when we have world-wide fiber, the speed of light is the speed of light. A signal is not going to make it across the country in time to have acceptable input timing for those of us who are sensitive to it. Not ever. It's physically impossible.

We'll see who's laughing when with quantum entangled networks! (Not really, civilization will end long before that tech is realized)

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
We'll see who's laughing when with quantum entangled networks! (Not really, civilization will end long before that tech is realized)

Joke's on you, quantum entanglement can't be used to send/decode arbitrary information. The particles must be entangled at the point of origin, and then transported via conventional means (i.e., light speed or slower) to a remote point, at which point the particles can be observed at one end of the journey which will determine the spin/other attribute at both ends of the journey. But you can't reentangle them, or continue to send information across that method, because as you observe the particles the entanglement is broken.

Information cannot be sent faster than light via quantum entanglement. The information can only be "stored" and then revealed later at a different place, but it has to be stored first, and transported at light speed or slower to the remote location. So that tech will never be "realized" because it's physically impossible. Quantum entanglement networks will never happen. (At least not if our current understanding of quantum physics holds true.)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
How about a big bucket of nope? No matter what you're gonna get lag, or worse, in a multiplayer game, double lag, from your PC to the stream server, then from there to the game server... unless they're gonna consolize game servers and have them in the same place as the stream servers, eliminating the ability to host your own servers... which gets a double bucket of nope from me and is already under heavy criticism from the PC gaming community. And then you have to consider data caps. I was already in danger of hitting my 1TB cap last month with streaming services (Netflix and Hulu) now add game streaming on top of that? And then you get a consolized experience on top of that, with no quality settings available to you, which seem to be able to be changed by the service at any time...